Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navara power steer gone - can I keep driving it ?
Power steer pump not holding fliud due to leaking seal, taken the Power Steer drive belt off. Will driving it with the power steer drive belt off cause any damage to the power steering system or other steering components? Any danger of steering locking up etc ? (91 Navara) Cheers
drive away my friend, just dont go round any corners.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Cheers for the replies so far 

I've been driving it around town now and again and it's a good workout for "The guns" at low speeds. Plus 30km/h and up not too bad. Using the right foot to use the torqure to lift the front helps too. It's not my main vehicle so doesn't bother me at the moment to keep driving it as long as I'm doing no doing damage.
driving it in reverse will be much safer and better for your ride
remember to be on the other side of the road so you arent going against the traffic.
dont do it at night
youre very welcome
(21-02-2022, 01:56 PM)Magoo Wrote: driving it in reverse will be much safer and better for your ride
remember to be on the other side of the road so you arent going against the traffic.
dont do it at night
youre very welcome

??
Brilliant idea,reverse steering should do the trick. Going on other side of the road a wise tip as could of got messy. (Seen a few of your posts, keep them coming, more humour is needed on these boards)
The longer you drive it, the easier the steering will become as your atrophied muscles regain strength. So long as there is residual fluid in the steering box it will have enough lubrication. The pump will be toast though, and probably the steering box too as the failed pump will fill the system with metal particles.
(21-02-2022, 04:34 PM)Zurdo Wrote: The longer you drive it, the easier the steering will become as your atrophied muscles regain strength. So long as there is residual fluid in the steering box it will have enough lubrication. The pump will be toast though, and probably the steering box too as the failed pump will fill the system with metal particles.
? They are a bit atrophied my biceps, not back at their Arnie peak Muscle Smile Great advice thanks. Star

It's always sounded like a tractor now it drives like one Smile  50 PSI on the front desert dullers help Cool
if it continues dont stress
i know how to fix it with a paslode gun and a tube of gorilla filla.
let me know
(21-02-2022, 07:09 PM)Magoo Wrote: if it continues dont stress
i know how to fix it with a paslode gun and a tube of gorilla filla.
let me know
Ok Magoo will keep you posted but could probably suffice with my Ramset gun with a purple charge.
A seal went on one of my cars cuply years ago. My mechanic said dont drive it at all. Permanent damage will be done to the power steering pump etc. He arranged a towie to pick it up and tow it in. If your power steer belt does nothing else apart from power steering you "should" be ok to remove it.
(22-02-2022, 05:50 AM)Stevo Wrote: A seal went on one of my cars cuply years ago. My mechanic said dont drive it at all. Permanent damage will be done to the power steering pump etc. He arranged a towie to pick it up and tow it in. If your power steer belt does nothing else apart from power steering you "should" be ok to remove it.
Cheers, yeah only does the pump, old skool.

Its only $280 to have it reconditioned but got other stuff
to do like post on message boards lol. If it gets stuffed driving it easy to pick up another cheap to be reconditioned, the beauty of basic plentiful old school.Or will sell vehicle as is as needs other stuff doing too, or park in back of shed as they are going up in value year on year.