Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
indicators replace with LED s Nissan D21 1989
my new to me Nissan ute (old  school)it hasn't got repeaters on the side of the front wing panels, and hasn't got any mirror indicator repeaters either..
...I wish to put these on the ute, as Ive had them built in on previous vehicles and miss the extra safety .
Would like to use the LEDs as running lights ,but when turning (indicating have them operate as turn signals ?
..Is there any way to do this ? I'm thinking, hooking up LEDs to the front indicators and running wires up to the side and mirrors
i have strip 12volt self adhesive lights avail . is there any tech reason ,(fuses or relays etc) that prevent this ? and .is there a WOF issue ? WOF is due in fortnight .
indicators  with LED s Nissan D21 1989.
....Ive got a similar system on my R1100T and was interested in putting the same on the ute if possible ?
Any helpful suggestion appreciated..thanks Kev.
only thing I would be concerned about is waterproofing of the strip lighting, if it isn't good it could be a bit problematic or hazardous.

as for the electrical side I can't imagine adding another few watts is going to over load anything... the electrical side would usually be built with a decent safety margin I would think
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Repeaters are not a requirement, but will need to meet regulations. That being an approved lamp - it will need an EC standard (say E11), or a DOT standard, or ADR...a NZ standard no longer exists for such things. I doubt the strip lighting will pass.
Thinking back to my trail bike or 70's Holdens days the indicator 'can' requires a certain loading to make the indicators blink at the usual rate. Take load off such as disconnection of the front indicators (or a blown bulb) causes the remaining connected ones to blink at double speed. This would/could be an issue as LEDs are far lower amperage than the standard filament bulbs.
When you drive a legend of a beast that is the D21 extra blinkers are not needed, the respect from other motorists is a given.
(22-02-2022, 08:12 PM)kevlights Wrote: my new to me Nissan ute (old  school)it hasn't got repeaters on the side of the front wing panels, and hasn't got any mirror indicator repeaters either..
...I wish to put these on the ute, as Ive had them built in on previous vehicles and miss the extra safety .
Would like to use the LEDs as running lights ,but when turning (indicating have them operate as turn signals ?
..Is there any way to do this ? I'm thinking, hooking up LEDs to the front indicators and running wires up to the side and mirrors
i have strip 12volt self adhesive lights avail . is there any tech reason ,(fuses or relays etc) that prevent this ? and .is there a WOF issue ? WOF is due in fortnight .
indicators  with LED s Nissan D21 1989.
....Ive got a similar system on my R1100T and was interested in putting the same on the ute if possible ?
Any helpful suggestion appreciated..thanks Kev.

Okay the "little red truck" Nissan D21 1989.
'got a WOF no worries ,no X or bad comments ..a clean sheet !! hooray , in fact they were so enjoying the old school ,it made a break from the plastic tin boxes they normally work on ,although there was a Cadillac lurking in the corner , I will get some LED bulbs as the vibration seems to kill the single filament bulbs .. The main problem with this 30 year old ute is the problematic Carburetor its worn ,and the needle /float jams and causes the ,hick-ups jerking /hesitation of fuel starvation ...So its out with the carb and in with the new ex china duplicate replacement .. around the $250 plus freight plus GST plus Customs ..etc etc ...in the mean time had a poke at the float /needle again ...not any better ..so far have replaced the dissy cap and the fuel filter .. filter was disgusting dirty ,dissy not so bad, but one hair line crack ,meant it had to go..next purchase was the corrugated silver flexy hose... from the manafold to the air cleaner snout . we shall see if that makes a difference as ute definitly runs better on hot days ...
After getting the carb of a '64 Falcon rebuilt twice, we gave up on it...and got a brand new one from China. Fitted it today - I'm about to give up on the new carb now.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(09-03-2022, 04:38 PM)Zurdo Wrote: After getting the carb of a '64 Falcon rebuilt twice, we gave up on it...and got a brand new one from China. Fitted it today - I'm about to give up on the new carb now.
Z24 Carb  Nissan D21 1989 petrol 2.4 ...ordered from China $274 plus $70 odd shipping plus Gst plus excise +..customs, plus internal postage from bond store ,plus wholesaler/retailer mark up = $360 ...that's the way to do it, clip the ticket and bung the costs on the sucker (sorry that's customer) who is on the other side, of the counter ...Ha !
Angry Big Grin

.next purchase was the corrugated silver flexy hose... from the manifold to the air cleaner snout . we shall see if that makes a difference as ute definitely runs better on hot days ...$40 ....hell its just corrugated cardboard with a bit of silver paint thrown at it ! 440 bucks ..hell... so far that's the dissy replaced $65 ,fuel filter $12 ,tube as above $40 ,now it seems the fuel pump is suspect ? ohh the head ache ...the joys of an old school ute ,now its rust ,,,as i dont have a garage it sits out side sulking ,im sure the little red truck is thinking, "what s next i can stuff up for the owner" ...not that im paranoid ...yet !
bum just deleted 10 mins of aimless incoherent ramblings !
little red truck profile MK 11
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/...428881.jpg
the bonnet up, is its natural state now ,as i contemplate the trucks fate !.. do i sell it as is ,or persevere with fixes, up dates and improvements ? that is the question.
Cleaned out the fuel filter on the carb today ,had to take the air filter off yet again ,im getting good at that ,down to five mins now ,replaced fuel line from fuel pump and cleaned little brass fuel filter on the carb ...didn't even know it was there .but a critical study of the manual reveals all . R T B M S
Carburetor arrived from China today ,will get Garage Mechanic to put it in on Monday ,that will eliminate the fuel problem, but im beginning to suspect the distributor ,i think (always dangerous too much thinking ) that the distributor is not advancing correctly ,its got a new cap ,recent high tension leads ,clean spark plugs ,new last year ,according to records . will investigate the spring loaded weights inside the dissy ,next fine day, Oh the joys of an old school car !!

Intermittent stalling ,jerking, juddering ,almost partial seize,not running smooth at all ,bugger a ..New carb to fit on Monday ,but I am beginning to suspect ,timing ,perhaps the ignition is not being advanced in the distributor ,or fuel blockage ? its a mystery ,but it will have to be solved .With the winter coming up ,running the mighty R1100T to work is going to be grim ...no cup holders or radio or heater on the bike, although it has alleged heated grips ? but Ive yet to verify if they actually work ! ...."Back to the little red truck" .I peer out the window, looking at it sitting peacefully in the drive way, I know its sulking ! if it doesn't watch it ,i will sell it to a BOY RACER to do drifts in .SKids and DONUTS in your future ,little red truck ,you have been warned !... I might buy A nice comfortable Toyota Camry, with no pissing about, and quiet smooth to operate and a V6, to monster Daihatsu charades, and Mazda Demos and Suzuki Swifts ,you know the sort of car pensioners drive ...if you can call driving ...meandering along totally oblivious to what is going on around them ...driving ...can not they see the Red truck up their exhaust pipe screaming" get out of the way ?? Wait im turning into Jerry Clarkson ...and as the Missus reminded me ...again..."you too.. are a Pensioner Now" ! Ha