Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading 2022 ?
(25-08-2022, 11:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Just finished the second book of the Seven Devils, Seven Mercies duology by Elizabeth May and Laura Lam. Feminist space opera science fiction, and quite a rollicking ride in the reading. The sort of books that would make good tv series with lots of special effects, and some intetesting ideas about AI and the way it could take over. Worth the reading I think...
That sounds intriguing.  Smile

On the  subject of  feminist sci fi/fantasy authors I'm re reading Raising the stones, Sheri Tepper.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
She is an excellent writer. I have read all of hers I think...

Interesting now to see how LGBT politics ispermeating fiction, even scifi.
(25-08-2022, 01:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: She is an excellent writer. I have read all of hers I think...

I'd really like to see quite a lot of it made into movies/TV series, but the trend now seems to be make any sci fi into an action movie with a just a thin veneer of sci fi which tends to ruin it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I very seldom read thrillers but every now & then, I stumble across a Hellstrom & Roslund book I've not read yet. So I'm reading 3 hours at present, & its extremely difficult to put down.
Sadly, Borge Hellstrom died so there won't be more from the two of them.

https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-re...hree-hours

“The Ewert Grens series by Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom only gets better with every book published, and Three Hours is the best yet.”

This Swedish writing duo rivals the best of Scandinavian suspense authors.

Aging, overweight Detective Superintendent Ewert Grens of Stockholm Police is faced with a puzzle: the Soder Hospital morgue has one too many bodies. There are 23 bodies when there should only be 22.

“There’s a corpse with no paper trail, no registration. A dead man with no identification, no history. He doesn’t exist.”
I dont read much, but I still like to grab out the odd tintin comic when I feel like it!
I am going through one of those times when every book I pick up is a useless waste of words on paper.

Self publishing has a great deal to answer for.

Thank heavens for pretty interior design books like Jungalow to satisfy my soul.
I'm reading a collection of sci fi dystopian short stories, Wastelands, stories of the apocalypse, written by various people including George RR Martin, Octavia Butler, Orson Scott card & others.

Really good so far.
I've nearly finished Kate Atkinson's Shrines of Gaiety and will be bereft when it's finished. It's a wildly entertaining family saga set in the Soho underworld between the 1st and 2nd world wars.
I recently saw life after life, which was written by Kate Atkinson & really enjoyed it.

Might reserve Shrines of gaiety, it sounds good. Smile
Currently racing through the third book of the Firemane trilogy by Raymond Feist. I had forgotten about him as a writer, but boy, he hasn't lost his touch. Great escapism...
(13-11-2022, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I recently saw life after life, which was written by Kate Atkinson & really enjoyed it.

I found Life After Life somewhat confusing - I was reading it in fits and starts and I couldn't keep track of it.  Not so Shrines of Gaiety!
(13-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Olive Wrote:
(13-11-2022, 10:55 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I recently saw life after life, which was written by Kate Atkinson & really enjoyed it.

I found Life After Life somewhat confusing - I was reading it in fits and starts and I couldn't keep track of it.  Not so Shrines of Gaiety!

It was a bit confusing but once I got the hang of it, was OK.
Almost finished Mila & the bone man, Lauren Roche. Really enjoying it, quite an unusual book from a Kiwi writer.

https://www.nzbooklovers.co.nz/post/mila...ssionately.
I've just finished "Terry Pratchett, a life with footnotes*"
I do have other cameras!
Just finished the Salvation trilogy by Peter F Hamilton:

Salvation
Salvation Lost
The Saints of Salvation

At around 2500 pages in total not for the average reader - though still less than the 3000 pages of his Comeanwealth Saga (only 2 books).

Very good at character development, world building and interlaced or intersecting storylines.

(25-08-2022, 01:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: She is an excellent writer. I have read all of hers I think...

Yes the trilogy I just read has a group of humans called Omina who are "Utopials"  as opposed to standard humans who are "Universals".  Those who join the Utopial society must be genetically modified so any future offspring are born Omina - who are taller than normal humans and go through a 4 yearly change from  male to female and back again.  They are referred to hir and sie in the books.  Not that I am particularly interested in the general pronoun bs.
I blame Hamilton for starting the zombies thing. Mixing the undead and scifi was a brilliant move, lol.
Currently re reading Future home of the living god, Louise Erdrich & enjoying it once again. She's a remarkable writer.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/j...ich-review
Just finished A waiter in Paris, Edward Chisholm. Really interesting look at the underbelly of Parisian restaurants & Cafe's. Not sure I'd be keen to eat there - but if I did, I'd definitely be leaving a big tip for the waiter.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revie...-in-paris/

"In this revealing social commentary, Chisholm shares the appalling working conditions that he and his co-workers faced behind the facade of fine French dining. “As a waiter,” he writes, “you quickly get used to the fact that people believe they can talk to you like a lower species.” Each of his colleagues diligently played their roles in this “vast culinary amphitheatre” even as they endured condescending managers and rude customers. Working long, grueling shifts, Chisholm reveals that the staff often scraped by on stolen cigarette breaks and stale coffee and rolls. On luckier occasions, they secretly consumed half-touched plates and unfinished glasses of wine left by patrons.
Although the book is set in Paris, Chisholm demonstrates how his stories of struggle have universal appeal. After months of dealing with his uncaring, corrupt employers, Chisholm found himself dreaming of an uprising against them. Following an injury on the job, his path became clear: “I felt almost duty bound to write this book. To give a voice to an invisible workforce.” In that, he succeeds admirably."
Sounds fascinating . In my limited experience of dining in Paris the waiters talked to me as if I were of a lower species.
(23-12-2022, 06:33 PM)Olive Wrote: Sounds fascinating .  In my limited experience of dining in Paris the waiters talked to me as if I were of a lower species.

They sound just lovely - or something. Rolleyes