Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading 2022 ?
We need to get the year right !

Ann Cleeves - gotta  be good. We've all read Vera and Shetland...and watched the TV shows. I've stream Vera from Series 1 to whenever they let me see the latest. And Shetland too.

So she's got a new one...well, new for me, 2019. Two Rivers, the first book in the series is The Long Call. I got it out of the e library yesterday....and by the first couple of pages it's all sounding a bit familiar...

BUGGAR !  I also just started streaming a show on TVNZ on Demand - The Long Call. I've only watched 2 episodes, and by the first couple of chapters they have changed things...grrrr. So...stop watching...or stop reading. You can't stop me reading, and we all know the book is far better than the movie or TV series, already I have far more background to the characters than I gleaned from the TV show. I'll read the book, and then get all grumpy when I watch the rest of the TV show. Or maybe I won't watch it again.
I enjoy Ann Cleeve's crime fiction, and she's such a good story teller that I don't mind the sloppy writing. I imagine that the tv series would be great because it would be all about the narrative and the writing style wouldn't matter. I haven't watched the Shetland series but intend to soon. Is it on Acorn?
Still plugging away with the collected Doctor Thorndyke stories on my ereader.
I do have other cameras!
Nina X, Ewan Morrison - a bit of a slow start but intriguing & very different.
Its about a young woman brought up in a Maoist cult.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/a...son-review
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Currently re reading Bread & Roses, the first volume of Sonja Davies autobiography - haven't read it for years & an enjoying it all over again. I'd forgotten a lot, including that she was born in the same month as me, though much earlier.
She was such an interesting person with huge courage & determination 'steel in the soul' & was well ahead of her time.

There was a TV mini series made by Gaylene Preston some years based on this & the second book, which won several awards.

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/bread-and-roses-1993

https://gaylenepreston.co.nz/bread-and-roses
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Now reading the second book by Sonja Davies, Marching on. I'm not very far into it yet but its about her work with the peace movement & the Springbok tour protests.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/6d1...et-loveday
Have finally got around to reading Ranginui Walker's Ka Whawhai Tonu Matou which has felt like being spoken to by an old relative, setting a record straight so-to-speak. So much so that I had a quick Google of my Great Grandfather's name and found a Nga Taonga recording of him speaking back in 1967. Never knew it existed but have sent it to my dad.
I'm rereading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of nearly Everything".
And it's scaring me to death!
Anyone else read it?
(16-03-2022, 05:27 PM)Outsider Wrote: I'm rereading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of nearly Everything".
Anyone else read it?
I haven't - its one of those books I keep meaning to read but haven't got around to yet. I really must try to do it this year. Wink
(16-03-2022, 06:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(16-03-2022, 05:27 PM)Outsider Wrote: I'm rereading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of nearly Everything".
Anyone else read it?
I haven't - its one of those books I keep meaning to read but haven't got around to yet. I really must try to do it this year. Wink

He explains things really well for the layman, but a bit too well when describing the things coming at us from space and the centre of the earth, which we know hardly anything about!
Very good though.
I really should try to make the effort to read it soon, I usually manage to forget the books i mean to get once I'm in the library. Smile

I'm currently reading Big little lies, Liane Moriarty, which the TV series was based on though with the setting changed from Oz to America.
I just finished the latest Orphan X novel, Dark Horse. Boy that was a hell of a ride. I need a couple of days off to recover...

https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/dark-ho...lsrc=aw.ds
Now reading The book of Etta, Meg Elison - dystopian sc fi set as usual, in America. The second in a series, (hope its only a trilogy) it follows a young woman who masquerades as a man when out in what's left of the world.
Its sort of familiar in that it covers the idea of a world post disaster but from a slightly different angle.

http://speculativechic.com/2018/03/22/a-...k-of-etta/
Now reading A song for a new day, Sarah Pinsker. Set in the near future in America, its about the effect a pandemic has on live music shows & how various people try to continue live music in a kind of underground movement, while some big music companies try to suppress it & mould all music to what they want to market.
Enjoying it so far.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/rocknroll...ess-world/
So, I pick up a Lee Child paperback, one of the library pile, and I open it up to discover some total farkwit has underlined in pink felt tip every mention of a vehicle on the first pages. Annoying, I thought, but hey, some people have no manners, and I start reading. By page five I am so disturbed by these pink slashes that my pleasure is completely destroyed and I cannot go on...

I would happily see this miscreant waterboarded.

I am not a nice person.
(03-04-2022, 12:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: So, I pick up a Lee Child paperback, one of the library pile, and I open it up to discover some total farkwit has underlined in pink felt tip every mention of a vehicle on the first pages. Annoying, I thought, but hey, some people have no manners, and I start reading. By page five I am so disturbed by these pink slashes that my pleasure is completely destroyed and I cannot go on...

I would happily see this miscreant waterboarded.

I am not a nice person.
What a vile thing to do - utter bastard! Obviously an adolescent car-mad male, no sane person would do such a thing.
The last thing I read was how to cook Chinese Dumplings  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
I'm currently reading Know your place, Golriz Gahraman. Well written but not always a comfortable read, it highlights how people can on the one hand, be so bloody nastily awful but on the other so able to comprehend the problems & attempt to change things for the better.

https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com...ghahraman/
The Ginger Molloy Story...compiled by Claire Molloy. Ginger Molloy was a motorcycle racer from the '60's until only a few years ago...the highlight of his career being 2nd in the World 500cc Championship in 1970, Agostini winning of course. Starting in 1963 he drove around Europe and the UK in a van full of motorcycles competing in as many races as he could, in later years he had a caravan, as his wife an up to 4 daughters were with him as well. Not really a biography, just some ramblings and photos Claire swept up into a book. All the photos are small black & white, and not very clear. In case anyone wondered who Claire was, she has included their wedding photo - it's a full page and she is gorgeous !

There is also a DVD, transfered from 8mm film, in colour, and is a hodge podge of his travels....Ginger comments in Kiwi style, saying practically nothing and dropping high profile names. A few shots of the races, and the paddock where they camped...his kids as toddlers. At the end we are in the '70's and film of racing at Bathurst. Ginger says a few comments here, but doesn't mention he came 2nd in the 500cc race, and won the 250cc.

It's good to finally see a book about Ginger Molloy - Agostini was the most famous racer of the period, on his factory prepared MV's. But Kiwi's came 2nd to him - Ginger in 1970, Keith Turner in 1971, and in 1973 Kim Newcombe posthumously. There is a movie about Kim Newcombe called Love Loss and Speed.

Ginger is a local, and I once worked in his old motorcycle shop after he sold it. Ginger was in everyday, but wouldn't have a clue who I am...his wife and one of the daughters know me though. I worked at the shop again 10 years later - the 2 worst jobs I've ever had, the place is dysfunctional.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I am on an Amish crime jag at the moment, reading through Linda Castillo's books, following Chief of Police Kate Burkholder. I came across one of her books and realised the quilts I sleep under were made by an Amish woman of that very name. The coincidence was intriguing, and the books are very readable. They transport me back to Amish country and I am enjoying the journey...