Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Hipkins? Where is Little? Where is Ardern?
The return of the 1pm Podiium of Truth had only Bloomfield and he finally admitted what people had been asking - including me here on this very forum - that testing numbers were massively over estimated.  

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/
opinion/127921253/covid19-ashley-bloomfield-fronts-over-failure-no-minister-to-be-seen?cid=app-android
i cant see what the issue is
testing doesnt stop covid, it just confirms whether or not you have it.
i would have thought at this point just showing symptoms is enough to isolate.
another day or two while waiting for your test doesnt seem like an insurmountable task.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(02-03-2022, 07:17 AM)Magoo Wrote: i cant see what the issue is
another day or two while waiting for your test doesnt seem like an insurmountable task.
It isn't about the test it is the fact that they hid the fact the testing numbers could never be achieved.  Questions about those numbers and how sustainable they were have been deflected for at least a week.  I called BS on the numbers a few weeks ago.
oh yes clearly they lied to your face, and it was a huge conspiracy... or, they overestimated capacity... certainly take it as a win if it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside but it's not really a major is it? life will continue
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(02-03-2022, 08:08 AM)king1 Wrote: oh yes clearly they lied to your face, and it was a huge conspiracy...  or, they overestimated capacity... certainly take it as a win if it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside but it's not really a major is it?  life will continue
What a surprise comment from our independent admin.
Always amuses me when certain people got grumpy that Labour was 'always' on at 1pm, but then they get grumpy when they're not.

If we didn't have the high positivity rates, the testing capacity would be fine. But because it's Omicron coupled with it enjoying our almost unique brand of being unaffected by the far more dangerous strains of Covid (thanks Labour!), we don't have capacity. C'est la vie.
(02-03-2022, 07:57 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:17 AM)Magoo Wrote: i cant see what the issue is
It isn't about the test it is the fact that they hid the fact the testing numbers could never be achieved.  Questions about those numbers and how sustainable they were have been deflected for at least a week.  I called BS on the numbers a few weeks ago.
hid? the estimated something like 38K tests a day. they can do only 31k tests a day.
this is why they estimated it.
Calling bs is easy from the couch, eventually you'll get something right if you call bs on enough things.
what you call would carry a lot more weight if so much wasnt based on fallacy, misinformation and a very strong predetermination to find fault with the government, and ways to confirm it. seek and ye shall find.

i think youve found something this time.
there are a bunch of people out there who dont know if they are carrying covid.
all except a few are vaxxed, if i was in the few unaxxed i would be concerned. bu5 they can sit and wait until we are good and ready. theirs will be done last.
I don't think it's such a big deal that the MOH overestimated testing capacity. Nobody predicted how quickly Omicron would rise. The testing delay is being beaten up by news media who seem to be slavering at the opportunity to criticise Dr Bloomfield, who seems to be expected to have the best crystal ball in the country as well as being in charge of the best Covid response in the world.
(02-03-2022, 08:36 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:08 AM)king1 Wrote: oh yes clearly they lied to your face, and it was a huge conspiracy...  or, they overestimated capacity... certainly take it as a win if it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside but it's not really a major is it?  life will continue
If you weren't so manifestly trigger-happy at everything the govt does I might actually take it a bit more seriously...

As long as the rules are followed everyone is happy - for anyone else, you know where the door is...

I think boards and managers are always overly optimistic about what their minions can achieve. The health sector was understaffed long before covid and now have to cope with it on top of everything else and mainly have done a miraculous job in doing so. Bloomfiled is one of said managers, but still has to live with what he has been given, and I forgive him for trying to keep the positive tone when things really are looking bad. As Olive said, he's done a great job at the head of the best covid response in the world, at times stuck in the hardest place between politics and practicality.

I can see that the process of pooling tests fell over when numbers got big. When only a few batches had to be separated and re-done because there was one positive result in the batch it was efficient and worked well. Then suddenly they would have had a high proportion of pooled batches with at least one positive (maybe it's now all) so it's understandable that having to now pretty much do every result individually would have had a huge impact on capacity.

It's tough for people waiting for results, but they need to assume that if they have symptoms, they have covid and stay at home. Some will find they just have a cold - stay at home anyway whatever you are sick with. For everyone else, if out in public, act as if everyone you encounter could infect you, because they could. Within a few days we will all have RATs available. That has been where the government really got it wrong. We should have had them weeks ago, and the commandeering of orders from companies that had bought them in time to keep supply chains going now is probably the biggest problem we are facing right now.
'Our independent admin?'

The only time you are one of 'us' is when the other place bores you, so I guess you can be forgiven for erroneous assumptions...
sue-d once again the oice of reason.
if youve got symptoms it might just be a cold, or covid
either way youre sick, dont go to work.
(02-03-2022, 09:47 AM)SueDonim Wrote: I think boards and managers are always overly optimistic about what their minions can achieve. The health sector was understaffed long before covid and now have to cope with it on top of everything else and mainly have done a miraculous job in doing so. Bloomfiled is one of said managers, but still has to live with what he has been given, and I forgive him for trying to keep the positive tone when things really are looking bad. As Olive said, he's done a great job at the head of the best covid response in the world, at times stuck in the hardest place between politics and practicality.

I can see that the process of pooling tests fell over when numbers got big. When only a few batches had to be separated and re-done because there was one positive result in the batch it was efficient and worked well. Then suddenly they would have had a high proportion of pooled batches with at least one positive (maybe it's now all) so it's understandable that having to now pretty much do every result individually would have had a huge impact on capacity.

It's tough for people waiting for results, but they need to assume that if they have symptoms, they have covid and stay at home. Some will find they just have a cold - stay at home anyway whatever you are sick with. For everyone else, if out in public, act as if everyone you encounter could infect you, because they could. Within a few days we will all have RATs available. That has been where the government really got it wrong. We should have had them weeks ago, and the commandeering of orders from companies that had bought them in time to keep supply chains going now is probably the biggest problem we are facing right now.
I don't have a problem with anything the government has done on the covid thing, considering its complexities and ever changing landscape, but then I don't expect human beings to be infallible.

Personal responsibility out here in the everyday world will always ensure political ideals are never achieved. The ongoing protest debacle is proof of that.

As for RATs, I am sure there was a statement from suppliers that countered the 'government commandeering supplies' claim, I don't think I dreamed it.

It would be a step forward if we all just stopped the critique based on hindsight and put our energies into more positive and creative things.

In my opinion...
(02-03-2022, 09:12 AM)Magoo Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:57 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: It isn't about the test it is the fact that they hid the fact the testing numbers could never be achieved.  Questions about those numbers and how sustainable they were have been deflected for at least a week.  I called BS on the numbers a few weeks ago.
hid? the estimated something like 38K tests a day. they can do only 31k tests a day.
Calling bs is easy from the couch, eventually you'll get something right if you call bs on enough things.
what you call would carry a lot more weight if so much wasnt based on fallacy, misinformation and a very strong predetermination to find fault with the government, and ways to confirm it. seek and ye shall find.

all except a few are vaxxed, if i was in the few unaxxed i would be concerned. bu5 they can sit and wait until we are good and ready. theirs will be done last.
How much you want bet the 31000 "estimate " is also wrong?
The entire thing is out the wondow now.  Contact tracing broke down weeks ago but simply wasn't acknowledged.  Scanning is rapidly dropping because what is the point?
kings response was not 'administrative' it was a response to your post, from him as another poster.
im not sure admin has declared any sort of neutrality when it comes to posting here, nor should there be any expectation of it on a forum. you werent threatened, censured or silenced. no muscle was flexed.
or are you trying to stifle the posters point of view?
please desist id like to hear it.
(02-03-2022, 10:01 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:36 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: What a surprise comment from our independent admin.
'Our independent admin?'

The only time you are one of 'us' is when the other place bores you, so I guess you can be forgiven for erroneous assumptions...
If I was ever considered in that way I would likely throw myself under Te Huia.  If it was running, on time, with passengers.
(02-03-2022, 10:12 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 09:12 AM)Magoo Wrote: hid? the estimated something like 38K tests a day. they can do only 31k tests a day.

The entire thing is out the wondow now.  Contact tracing broke down weeks ago but simply wasn't acknowledged.  Scanning is rapidly dropping because what is the point?
being an estimate only, odds are quite high it's wrong - otherwise it would be a fact... it's a subtle distinction lost on some...

(02-03-2022, 09:35 AM)king1 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 08:36 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: What a surprise comment from our independent admin.
If you weren't so manifestly trigger-happy at everything the govt does I might actually take it a bit more seriously...

As long as the rules are followed everyone is happy - for anyone else, you know where the door is...
Perhaps if this government did anything it said it would I wouldn't have anything to comment on?  The fact I have so many things to comment on is a testament to how this government is performing - or rather isn't performing.

(02-03-2022, 10:16 AM)king1 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:12 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: How much you want bet the 31000 "estimate " is also wrong?
being an estimate only, odds are quite high it's wrong - otherwise it would be a fact...  it's a subtle distinction lost on some...
There are estimates then there are guesstimates- the MOH seem to be firmly in the latter.
(02-03-2022, 10:12 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 09:12 AM)Magoo Wrote: hid? the estimated something like 38K tests a day. they can do only 31k tests a day.

why on earth would i want to bet on something so trivial? everyone knows its guesswork, no prior pandemics to draw from, you understand? and i dont do nitpick, you know this. how many a day are tested is trivia, minutia, inconsequential.
its not 'out the window', its proving to be as difficult and logistically challenging as was predicted. 
in fact worse was predicted. chaos and pandemonium at our hospitals. whole industries shutting down with staff absences. 
that may yet happen, when it does please dont get a woody and tell us the government was tricking us and you knew it all along. lower your expectations.
(02-03-2022, 10:13 AM)Magoo Wrote:
kings response was not 'administrative' it was a response to your post, from him as another poster.
im not sure admin has declared any sort of neutrality when it comes to posting here, nor should there be any expectation of it on a forum. you werent threatened, censured or silenced. no muscle was flexed.
or are you trying to stifle the posters point of view?
please desist id like to hear it.
Actually he has done those things.  He has threatened, centured and silenced.  He did this under the guise of breaking "rules" yet couldn't a actually say what rule was broken.

(02-03-2022, 10:22 AM)Magoo Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:12 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: How much you want bet the 31000 "estimate " is also wrong?
why on earth would i want to bet on something so trivial? everyone knows its guesswork, no prior pandemics to draw from, you understand? and i dont do nitpick, you know this. how many a day are tested is trivia, minutia, inconsequential.
its not 'out the window', its proving to be as difficult and logistically challenging as was predicted. 
in fact worse was predicted. chaos and pandemonium at our hospitals. whole industries shutting down with staff absences. 
that may yet happen, when it does please dont get a woody and tell us the government was tricking us and you knew it all along. lower your expectations.
The term bet is a turn of phrase.  But you know of this.

Oh and when it comes to this govt my expectations are lower than whale shit in the Challenger Deep