Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luxon to attack in speech
(06-03-2022, 04:16 PM)Zurdo Wrote: No, I've never had anyone question my colour, my generation...or anything else. I think they were reacting to your attitude, not how you look. Yes, both my sides of the family came here, left their island so they could reclaim their religion, own land and vote...something denied to them by the English.

Anyway, tax cuts by National ?  Desperation takes many forms.
yes, i was a power hungry tyrant as a school trustee.
my days on the council were spent mocking and belittling the constituents in an effort to get them not to vote for me.
(jokes) of course its my attitude. im an intolerant, opinionated, over bearing, single minded bully.
i will seek confrontation before diplomacy and use menace and intimidation if it helps my end. naturally people are going to shout me down, attack my sexual preferences and cast aspersions as to my ethical and moral ambitions.

the lord chose not to engender me with patience, (opting instead to give me a huge penis)
my wife had to teach me empathy, my children humility and mrs scott geography.

i am a deeply flawed individual, constantly teetering on the edge of rage driven madness, but i make a lovely pot roast and am good at cryptic crosswords so i got that going for me.

how about those nats
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
All in your own words - well done !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(06-03-2022, 04:25 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 04:16 PM)Magoo Wrote: cant deny any of that, but we did much worse shit to much nicer people.
one or two of my ancestors might hail from that island as well. so its kind of an own goal in that regard.
and you cant really blame us for the potato famine thing, we werent UberEats, we had nothing to do with menu planning.
we had our own huddled masses to worry about, which is why were looting other peoples huddled masses.
you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs etc. 
you dont hear us crying about the wicked Gauls, or those hairy thieving vikings or tribal fishing rights or the bloody self absorbed roman invaders. no, we took it on the chin. made lemonade us, embraced it.
took the best bits and conquered the world us.
Ireland was exporting food, while people were starving.
They were, in fact there's a Christy Moore (I think its him) song about that called in a single day, which lists all the food exported from Ireland while the people were starving.  

Some of my other ancestors being Scots, probably knew a thing or two about the land clearances - we're really not a very nice species sometimes.

But then there's the other side of human nature, like the kid who started Free the children.

https://www.yesmagazine.org/issue/issues...kielburger
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
yes. mr hegarty told me all about ireland.
an uncle showed up one day and took him and his little brother (10 and 12) from the family
he never saw his family again. they went to war and he got split up from his brother.
he never saw him again.
he hated the english but fought along side them, but loved new zealand and new zealanders.
he was given land after the war, and we only talk about god at church.
the old digger passed away surrounded by his 9 kids, 18 grandkids and 4 great grand children, and his worn out wife, mrs hegarty.
An odd bunch, the Irish - they can be the most bloody minded, pigheaded people in the world. The only thing which keeps me from being like that is my other ancestors...Scots and Yorkshiremen.
I do have other cameras!
i spent time in ireland.
they have the wickedest sense of humour of any people ive met.
they will tease you incessantly while plying you with whisky and food.

one would expect nothing else from a people torn apart by civil war, some of the grittiest guerrilla warfare and fratricide the world has ever witnessed, and they call this period of hell on earth 'the troubles'
'the troubles' like they got into an argument with a neighbour, or someone keeps stealing their newspaper.
'the troubles' lol
(06-03-2022, 04:25 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 04:16 PM)Magoo Wrote: cant deny any of that, but we did much worse shit to much nicer people.
one or two of my ancestors might hail from that island as well. so its kind of an own goal in that regard.
and you cant really blame us for the potato famine thing, we werent UberEats, we had nothing to do with menu planning.
we had our own huddled masses to worry about, which is why were looting other peoples huddled masses.
you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs etc. 
you dont hear us crying about the wicked Gauls, or those hairy thieving vikings or tribal fishing rights or the bloody self absorbed roman invaders. no, we took it on the chin. made lemonade us, embraced it.
took the best bits and conquered the world us.
Ireland was exporting food, while people were starving.

What you mean is that the British were exporting Irish crops while the people were starving.

"Originally, the problem was a series of potato crop failures, which affected the population further by the British exporting all Irish crops. Therefore, the British turned it into a famine by not helping the situation with valid relief measures or discontinuing the crop export."
ive never been able to grow a potato either. get lots of green tops but bugger all spuds.
its kind of a toss up whether what we did to the irish was worse than what we did to the chinese by getting half the country hooked on opium, or looting the indian sub continent of 50 trillion dollars in taxes and raw materials that they never recovered from.
you realise these are some of your ancestors too?
i'll not go into the colonial practices of some other of our contemporaries in europe. the germans controlled huge swathes of north africa, and did so by brutal oppression. the portuguese in brazil.
the french were brutal in south east asia, the belgians the same in the congo. what the spanish did in south america was tantamount to genocide. we saw the dutch claim the african sub continent and not release their grip until the 1980's. so while two wrongs etc the rest of the world werent that flash either and we had to go to war twice in the 20th century to reign them in, and oddly enough protect the rest of the empire from the colonisation by others.
of course with time comes wisdom and change, and we try not to shackle up and starve folks to death for our own gain
these days.
we leave being the worlds policemen to the americans now, its a dodgy minefield is colonising and can bite your future generations in the bum quite badly trying to redress it.

(06-03-2022, 05:34 PM)Zurdo Wrote: All in your own words - well done !
everything i write is in my own words, im way too lazy busy to perform research. and i can change things to suit my narrative if things arent quite gelling. it makes being wrong a lot easier.
(06-03-2022, 06:39 PM)Praktica Wrote: An odd bunch, the Irish - they can be the most bloody minded, pigheaded people in the world. The only thing which keeps me from being like that is my other ancestors...Scots and Yorkshiremen.
I have one Yorkshire great grandad; together with predominantly Scots ancestry that means that I can squeeze every last drop from a dollar, so I'm extremely thankful for such a useful skill.

Smile Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
forgive me if im mistaken, but isnt yorkshire part of england?
that makes you too an oppressor and a wicked coloniser.
shame on you.
(07-03-2022, 10:35 AM)Magoo Wrote: forgive me if im mistaken, but isnt yorkshire part of england?
that makes you too an oppressor and a wicked coloniser.
shame on you.
Yeah - but just the Yorkshire bit. Angel Big Grin
not being part nor party to my ancestral roots and the roles they played subjugating natives
i can say with all honesty i have never ever sent an irish potato anywhere