Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men Reading Less.
Men's reading rate drops

I think everyone is reading less....for younger people it is a chore, and has been for many years. Back when we had no TV or computer I would read about 4 books a week, now I'm down to one a week...and ebooks these days. I prefer a print book, but I read at work too, so an ebook it is. Is it not considered a manly thing to do ?  Some people only read fiction, some only non fiction...but whatever we read, even if it's crap, it's a learning experience.

I read to my kids every night - I loved it, and it gave them all a love of reading themselves. I was reading to my eldest daughter up to she was 16...it was John Steinbeck by then. But we went from Rupert to Lord of the Rings and beyond. 

Books were almost lost in the Dark Ages, and there have been book burnings up to the present day - I just hope we keep having authors...and printers.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
My husband reads as much as I do, i.e. a lot, and mainly on Kindles. I am surprised at the suggestion that men are reading less than women. Kindles and other e-readers have made books cheaper and more accessible and I wonder if e-reading was included in the statistics.
Real books and ebooks are free at the library - doesn't get any cheaper and accessible than that. It was always saturday morning at the library for me...they stopped the late night, but it's back again. No overdue payments now, so that solves that problem too. You can stream free movies from the library now with Beamafilm. I don't know any guys who read as much as I do...almost embarrassing...like, reading is weird or something.
Waging war with society
i used to read a lot
now i listen to audiobooks, maybe three a week?
i can do other things while listening.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
We should encourage everyone to read books, it enlarges our horizons, expands understanding & they're on so many different subjects there's something for every taste.Smile

https://tinyurl.com/y726xbxy

"Your paper brain and your Kindle brain aren't the same thing. Neuroscience, in fact, has revealed that humans use different parts of the brain when reading from a piece of paper or from a screen. So the more you read on screens, the more your mind shifts towards "non-linear" reading — a practice that involves things like skimming a screen or having your eyes dart around a web page. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
right then, weve all had a chance to promote the joys of reading?
time for a little magoo reality check.
why have we striven to become a paperless society yet excluded books from the negative impact of paper?
its because we were taught that books were sacred. only an ignorant tyrant would destroy books purposely.
by definition magazines and periodicals enjoy the same protection.
think about the resources cunsumed by the 220 piece set of glossy unrecyclable national geographic youve been storing in your garage for twenty years. the true folly is that this scenario is repeated thousands of times across the globe as we speak.
each and every page is repeated millions of times to feed the market. now you have exactly the same stuff as 5 other people on your street, that you all summarily ignore.

i love cookbooks. no, i love contemporary cookbooks. when i go to book sales and galas etc i look for cookbooks.
just how relevant are the 10,000 copies of the hardcover 1974 'alison holst microwaves' out there?
could we not recycle some? it will involve destroying them tho. instead we do this book go round thing where we all look after some books until its someone elses turn to look after them

you find yourself ummming and aahhhing over whether a thirty year old dog eared copy of moonraker that looks like i ate breakfast off the front cover should be saved. back in the box it goes, not going to be destroyed on my watch.

unsustainable imo. a paradigm shift in how we consume our knowledge, or enjoy the written word is needed.
or the book will go down in history alongside the newspaper and vinyl.
In various places, including here there are book exchanges where you can drop off unwanted books, & take any from their selection that you want to read.
Before the advent of TM & other online sites there were also some really good secondhand bookshops, (which is where quite a lot of my books come from) & of course you can always buy them online.

Once a book reaches the end of its life then surely the paper could be recycled, & made useful again, if not glossy magazines.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(07-03-2022, 01:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: In various places, including here there are book exchanges where you can drop off unwanted books, & take any from their selection that you want to read.
Before the advent of TM & other online sites there were also some really good secondhand bookshops, (which is where quite a lot of my books come from) & of course you can always buy them online.

Once a book reaches the end of its life then surely the paper could be recycled, & made useful again, if not glossy magazines.
but who is going to be the one that picks it up and mercilessly rips it asunder?
its no job for the readers, who lets face it, have all the books.
what godless heathen's employ shall we seek to carry out the grisly task?
perhaps we could make our own 'dung collector' caste, a group of shifty neer do wells and misanthropes who travel from village to village destroying things. i might have a group in mind.
(07-03-2022, 02:05 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(07-03-2022, 01:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: In various places, including here there are book exchanges where you can drop off unwanted books, & take any from their selection that you want to read.

but who is going to be the one that picks it up and mercilessly rips it asunder?
its no job for the readers, who lets face it, have all the books.
what godless heathen's employ shall we seek to carry out the grisly task?
perhaps we could make our own 'dung collector' caste, a group of shifty neer do wells and misanthropes who travel from village to village destroying things. i might have a group in mind.
Whoever could you be thinking of.... Angel Big Grin Big Grin
And that's where libraries are so good - each book gets read a few hundred times before it's put on the table at the door for $1. Same with ebooks...no paper there, just electronic gadgetry which of course does no harm to the environment and is so easily recycled. I don't think ebooks have a negative effect on my reading, it's all the same to me. But I won't read a book on a computer monitor. Information on the computer, entertainment with a book.
Waging war with society
(07-03-2022, 04:43 PM)Zurdo Wrote: And that's where libraries are so good - each book gets read a few hundred times before it's put on the table at the door for $1. Same with ebooks...no paper there, just electronic gadgetry which of course does no harm to the environment and is so easily recycled. I don't think ebooks have a negative effect on my reading, it's all the same to me. But I won't read a book on a computer monitor. Information on the computer, entertainment with a book.
there is no better value for our dollar and our planet than the library.
its welcoming old school charm and the librarians steadfast commitment to their craft means the one printed page gets read umpteen times before it finds itself ex libris. which is a latin term that means we dont want to destroy it either its your turn to look after it, or something along those lines.
And on the subject of libraries, CHCH libraries have ended fines.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/1...ristchurch
I have been told Juliet Blyth is doing a fantastic job in reading engagement

Now that I type this I have forgotten the name of the organization she runs. .
There is a growing body of research that indicates screen engagement involves a different part of the brain to that working on paper based forms of communication. Just as keying requires different muscles to writing with pen or pencil, reading a real book is a different experience to the same book in a screen.

One truth that is well established now though is the rapidly decreasing size of our individual vocabularies. Most of us only have one a quarter of the size of our grandparents, and a fair few of the words we do have are now spelled or pronounced differently. Interestingly enough, the lost words are not being balanced by new ones, though new ones are being created as our knowledge base changes.
Perhaps we're going to regress rather than progress. How deadly boring that would be.
I was disappointed to find out the movie Idiocracy hasn't been made into a book.
On contrary, I've noticed that men read more, if you will consider not only younger generations but also older ones then the data will be different.