Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do I copy an eBook?
I want to copy an ebook to my computer from my local library, just for me to read - I don't want to share it, or sell it.  Is there a simple, free and easy way I can do this?  PDF format would probably be the best for me. Thanks.
does your library use Bolinda or WebsterEPlatform or somesuch when you bring ebooks into your computer? because they all have download functions.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I think copyright law applies.
(08-03-2022, 01:24 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think copyright law applies.

It sure does. Unless things have changed, Adobe Digital Editions is what you use to download & read epub format eBooks on a PC. They will cease to work once the loan period is up. Yes, there are ways around this (keep the book forever; transfer to Kindle etc.), but essentially it's illegal.
its quite ok to download books onto your device.
the library doesnt expect you to listen entirely online.
thats why i asked about bolinda, or wheelereplatform, software brought by libraries to administer digital content.
a good deal of my music library was copied directly from library cd's

calibre is kindles go to software for managing your books.
it will download any format and change it if you want.
i dont use kindle but i use calbre for some stuff right off my desktop.

i use scribd. all the latest ebooks and audiobooks, magazines, articles, journals and newspapers.
i pay about $15 a month?
downloadable, legit, good software.

https://www.scribd.com/home
The library doesn't?

Howabout the author's rights?
(08-03-2022, 03:43 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The library doesn't?

Howabout the author's rights?
no different to a library loaning a bricks and mortar book.
usually only one title may be borrowed at a time although they sometimes have multiple copies

think spotify, musician gets his royalties based on plays.
same with books. he got his royalties when the library purchased it.

here is tauranga library book software.
i download it and borrow books as needed, no charge.

https://library.tauranga.govt.nz/digital.../eplatform
If you stick to the library's platforms and process, then yes it's all legal. But the publishers do model their licensing on bricks & mortar borrowing.
They can only have as many concurrent loans as they have copies; the DRM expires after a loan period, and they can only loan so many times before having to purchase another copy.
Anything that allows you to keep it forever (like burning CDs in their collection) or transferring to an unsupported device (like a Kindle- Kobo can be done legally)- is illegal.
i use audiobooks. they are a bit trickier to download. i download to my computer using a proxy then load it on my phone.
i never read the same book twice so i pretty much dump them after theyre done, cannot see the point of having screeds of data on my drive.

i am a member of a couple of USA libraries (if you know someone have them join up for you.) use a proxy so it looks like you are local. I use Hoopla. unlimited downloads, huge catalogues.
And a real book may be copied in part, fair use only. It is a breach of copyright to go beyond copying a few pages.

Imagine you write a book, e or in the real. Imagine how you would feel if people were able to copy whatever they wanted of your work, for whatever reason. It is theft, nothing less. Like someone walking into your kitchen and helping themselves to the food in the fridge...

Creative work is intellectual property, and should be treated just like any other property.
(08-03-2022, 05:00 PM)Magoo Wrote: i use audiobooks. they are a bit trickier to download. i download to my computer using a proxy then load it on my phone.
i never read the same book twice so i pretty much dump them after theyre done, cannot see the point of having screeds of data on my drive.

i am a member of a couple of USA libraries (if you know someone have them join up for you.) use a proxy so it looks like you are local. I use Hoopla. unlimited downloads, huge catalogues.

I'm less up with the play on audiobooks, but what you're doing I'm sure is still illegal. Having a mate sign you up for an overseas library and using VPN (I assume that's what you mean by proxy) is still breaking the licensing agreement.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint- I have in the past put library books on my Kindle. That process strips the DRM. Though like yourself, I delete them once I've read them. Morally I feel ok about it, but legally it is highly dubious.
its already been paid for, seems redundant to pay again.
i remain a california resident, and pay property tax , i use the invoice as 2nd id (must have a physical address in county).
vpn because the software wont let you in if ip isnt within range.
nothing nefarious im afraid, but im not above it. prior to getting my own membership i used my MILs for three years,
i also use the vpn for american netflix which is better than ours.
And I used to stream illegally...

None of us are angels, but being aware is a step in the right direction.
Full instructions to download ebooks from your library should be on the library website, telling you what apps you will need to download etc, and are usually very happy to help if you contact them. It is easy once you know how and the library will remove the ebook from your device when the loan period is up unless you return it prior to that. Our library allows 2 weeks to read a book but that time can be extended if no-one else has reserved it.
thats how i learned it. i return mine minute they finished. let someone else have a crack
when it comes to downloading i look at it like music.
i got the vinyl. it became obsolete i got the tape, it was made obsolete i got the cd, again obsolete.
now i want it on my phone,
how many times do lars, lemmy and neil and willie want me to pay for it?
no, not this time chaps, sorry. three times is plenty, do without that extra swimming pool.