Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jenny Shipley, Mainzeal directors seek to overturn damages
Yet again, they don't want to pay the damages. They failed to overturn this last year but were successful in getting a fresh damages hearing, so they're having another go.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1279710...reme-court

"Jack Hodder QC, representing Shipley, Gomm, and Tilby, told the Supreme Court on Monday that Mainzeal’s directors developed a strategy to save the company, and that they had acted rationally and without self-interest in doing so."

Really, 'without self interest?' So...they had no expectation of making money from this, then? Angel Angel

And I'm Marie of Romania... Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
this looks like they are just fighting to protect their pride and reputation, as they have insurance to cover any damages...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(10-03-2022, 06:05 PM)king1 Wrote: this looks like they are just fighting to protect their pride and reputation, as they have insurance to cover any damages...
Not entirely sure Jenny Shipley has much to protect in the way of reputation...that nickname wasn't without some cause. Angel
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Never liked that woman.
im unfamiliar with the saga (was expat) but it would seem to me
in this age of limited attention spans, shining more light on a fading memory does not lower its negative profile,
it just renews it
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(10-03-2022, 06:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Never liked that woman.
Me neither - mainly because when she & Ruth Richardson were shown three models for their proposed welfare cut's, they chose  the one which was harshest; despite being told it would cause hardship.
And I came across this just the other day:

"Once Governor General Cath Tizard had opened Parliament & the new members were sworn in, work was underway.
To our horror, the new Govt's first act was to rescind the Pay Equity Act, & even worse, the minister who led the debate in her capacity as Minister of Women's Affairs was Jenny Shipley. When I thought of the struggle that women had been engaged in since the turn of the century, & how strenuously Helen Clark had battled in Cabinet & in the House to have the legislation introduced & to steer it through, I was sickened. I didn't accept Jenny Shipley's contention that there were other & more effective ways of achieving pay equity.
We'd tried all those & they hadn't worked."

Marching on, Sonja Davies, published 1997
(13-03-2022, 02:06 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And I came across this just the other day:

"Once Governor General Cath Tizard had opened Parliament  & the new members were sworn in, work was underway.
To our horror, the new Govt's first act was to rescind the Pay Equity Act, & even worse, the minister who led the debate in her capacity as Minister of Women's Affairs  was Jenny Shipley. When I thought of the struggle that women had been engaged in since the turn of the century, & how strenuously Helen Clark had battled in Cabinet & in the House to have the legislation introduced & to steer it through, I was sickened. I didn't accept Jenny Shipley's contention that there were other & more effective ways of achieving pay equity.

I remember that. An utterly disgusting betrayal of women. Angry

I was living in a very feminist flat. The others were all a few years younger than me. One rejoiced to me that at last we had our first female PM. I replied that I'd have been happy to wait longer for a better one.
Autumn comes
(13-03-2022, 02:32 PM)an amniote Wrote:
(13-03-2022, 02:06 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And I came across this just the other day:

"Once Governor General Cath Tizard had opened Parliament  & the new members were sworn in, work was underway.
To our horror, the new Govt's first act was to rescind the Pay Equity Act, & even worse, the minister who led the debate in her capacity as Minister of Women's Affairs  was Jenny Shipley. When I thought of the struggle that women had been engaged in since the turn of the century, & how strenuously Helen Clark had battled in Cabinet & in the House to have the legislation introduced & to steer it through, I was sickened. I didn't accept Jenny Shipley's contention that there were other & more effective ways of achieving pay equity.

I remember that. An utterly disgusting betrayal of women. Angry

I was living in a very feminist flat. The others were all a few years younger than me. One rejoiced to me that at last we had our first female PM. I replied that I'd have been happy to wait longer for a better one.
Indeed - between them she & Ruth Richardson & of course, their party, did some damage to this country. Not that the previous Labour one was much better - bloody Neo Liberalism! Dodgy