Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New law to have protest free 'safe zones'
About time; those who are already having to cope with a what  is very stressful time shouldn't be harassed while doing so.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/03/16/new-l...n-clinics/

“Safe zones” can now be established around specific abortion facilities, restricting protest behaviour in those areas, after a proposed law passed its third reading in Parliament on Wednesday evening.

The bill passed with 108 votes in favour and 12 against. For Labour, 62 voted in favour and three (Anahila Kanongata’a-Suisuiki, Neru Leavasa, Jamie Strange) against.
For National, 24 were in favour and nine (Simeon Brown, Harete Hipango, Melissa Lee, Simon O’Connor, Chris Penk, Maureen Pugh, Penny Simmonds, Louise Upston, Michael Woodhouse) were opposed.
All MPs in the Green Party, ACT and Te Pāti Māori voted for the bill. Conscience voting meant MPs didn’t have to vote along party lines.

The member’s bill by Labour’s Louisa Wall allowed for the creation of safe areas of up to 150 metres around certain abortion facilities on a case-by-case basis if they requested it.

Once in force, the bill will prohibit the obstruction of people - including advising them to refrain from - seeking or providing abortion services within the safe zone. In that safe area, people will also be banned from filming those groups if it was likely to cause emotional distress, as well as protesting abortion."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
That is long overdue, I wonder if they were tempted to expand it to include other places of interest, for example parliament grounds, council parks, public roads...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
That would be quite a temptation given the recent ' protesters.' Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Prior to this i would never have dreamed to include primary schools and intermediates on such a list.
But recent events tell us nothing is sacred to some people.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(22-03-2022, 08:32 AM)Magoo Wrote: Prior to this i would never have dreamed to include primary schools and intermediates on such a list.
But recent events tell us nothing is sacred to some people.
yes, all schools...

it's almost like you need designated protest zones, somewhere near the top of a mountain range perhaps...

we have designated areas for most large gatherings
i would have thought the cake tin with all those shitters and kitchens and parking an ideal location.
media safe behind glass, no interruption to the citizens, better press all round.
they would still be there today. council wouldnt have chucked them.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(22-03-2022, 08:55 AM)Magoo Wrote: we have designated areas for most large gatherings
i would have thought the cake tin with all those shitters and kitchens and parking an ideal location.
media safe behind glass, no interruption to the citizens, better press all round.
they would still be there today.  council wouldnt have chucked them.
Good point - could be interesting for the future. Big Grin