Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
12 everyday items from the past
How many can you remember? I can remember almost all, & would add the old rotary dial phones, shower caps & the old 78 records with the wind up gramophones.
Hadn't realised I was so very ancient! Big Grin Big Grin

https://quizzclub.com/stories/history/do...-identify/
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I remember the foot measuring machine, I think there was one at Smith & Caughey. Those were the days when shoes came in Wide, Medium and Narrow as well as lengths.
Atari Computers
3 in 1 stereo player
Cassettes
Floppy hard drives
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
fax machine, carbon paper
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Vitamiser, which was a thing similar in shape to a milk bar milkshake maker, & could be used for that as well as being useful for 'mashing' vegetables, fruit etc. it was the forerunner of today's food processer really.

And eggs preserved in ovoline I think it was, horrible slimy stuff.

Party line phones, each household had its own special ring - two short & one long or whatever it was. They caused a few problems with nosey people listening into other people's conversations.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Fountain pens - what a fucking nightmare for a lefthander !
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Bell-bottoms , yes I used to wear them.
Lava lamps , had one in the lounge.
Miniskirts , good to look at.
When I worked for the post office, back in the 1970s, there were still manual telephone exchanges - in fact, when we moved north in the early 1980s the house we rented in a small town had a phone on a 12 party line - you cranked the handle to call up the exchange to make a call. There was a fisherman on the line who would get calls at 4am...
I do have other cameras!
(21-03-2022, 05:38 PM)Praktica Wrote: When I worked for the post office, back in the 1970s, there were still manual telephone exchanges - in fact, when we moved north in the early 1980s the house we rented in a small town had a phone on a 12 party line - you cranked the handle to call up the exchange to make a call. There was a fisherman on the line who would get calls at 4am...
We lived in a small village which had a party line. There was one woman who everyone else was sure listened in to everyone's conversations, but there was no way to prove it.

Until one day someone having a phone call heard the distinctive sound of a chiming clock in the background. There was only one person in the village who had a chiming clock so she proceeded to tear strips off this woman for being so damn nosey. Big Grin Big Grin

(21-03-2022, 05:22 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Bell-bottoms , yes I used to wear them.
I used to wear mini skirts (not so very mini then) & bell bottoms (never again, bloody things got in the way) but never had a lava lamp. Had a corduroy suit though at one point & boots.
Stinky Kerosene Heater.
Wooden Toilet Seats that cracked!
School toilet paper that was lethal on the nether regions.
Kerosene heaters - I'd forgotten them, & the horrific school toilet paper!

I remember playing knucklebones at school, & bar the door. Tomato sandwiches which had gone all squishy, horrible hot cocoa in winter -served in a 'shelter shed' in the freezing cold.
I'm not sure schools even have shelter sheds now.
(21-03-2022, 06:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(21-03-2022, 05:38 PM)Praktica Wrote: When I worked for the post office, back in the 1970s, there were still manual telephone exchanges - in fact, when we moved north in the early 1980s the house we rented in a small town had a phone on a 12 party line - you cranked the handle to call up the exchange to make a call. There was a fisherman on the line who would get calls at 4am...
We lived in a small village which had a party line. There was one woman who everyone else was sure listened in to everyone's conversations, but there was no way to prove it.

Until one day someone having a phone call heard the distinctive sound of a chiming clock in the background. There was only one person in the village who had a chiming clock so she proceeded to tear strips off this woman for being so damn nosey. Big Grin Big Grin

(21-03-2022, 05:22 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Bell-bottoms , yes I used to wear them.
I used to wear mini skirts (not so very mini then) & bell bottoms (never again, bloody things got in the way) but never had a lava lamp. Had a corduroy suit though at one point & boots.

Lilith, I have to ask what did bell bottoms get in the way of  Huh
(22-03-2022, 10:41 AM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(21-03-2022, 06:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We lived in a small village which had a party line. There was one woman who everyone else was sure listened in to everyone's conversations, but there was no way to prove it.

The push bike chain mostly.  
Smile
Remember bicycle clips? I used them when I was a teenager.
I do have other cameras!
(22-03-2022, 10:41 AM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(21-03-2022, 06:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: We lived in a small village which had a party line. There was one woman who everyone else was sure listened in to everyone's conversations, but there was no way to prove it.

Well - have you ever tried running in them? They flap about getting in the way, & as for riding a bike - no chance!
Big Grin

Hula hoops, plastic sandals, Davy Crockett hats - most kids had one or more of those then, not to mention a pocket knife; I think mine had a pink pearl finish handle.

(22-03-2022, 12:38 PM)Praktica Wrote: Remember bicycle clips? I used them when I was a teenager.
My grandad had those, & also those armband thingys, used to hold shirtsleeves back off the wrist. They used to fascinate me - metal, thin wire sort of things which stretched.
Hair rollers - very uncomfortable to sleep in.
Hop scotch, skipping, swapping stickers at school, and yes, hula hoops and knuckle bones. Brings back many memories, and how things have changed.
(21-03-2022, 02:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How many can you remember? I can remember almost all, & would add the old rotary dial phones, shower caps & the old 78 records with the wind up gramophones.

Yes, remember all those but I go back much further. We had one of the old copper washing machines and a mangle - I was in charge of the mangle from about the age of 10 and I loved doing it. It was so satisfying to get all the water out of sheets and clothes.
Also a Bakelite radio - wish I'd kept it - would probably have been worth a fortune by now.
(22-03-2022, 04:41 PM)Outsider Wrote:
(21-03-2022, 02:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How many can you remember? I can remember almost all, & would add the old rotary dial phones, shower caps & the old 78 records with the wind up gramophones.

Yes, remember all those but I go back much further. We had one of the old copper washing machines and a mangle - I was in charge of the mangle from about the age of 10 and I loved doing it. It was so satisfying to get all the water out of sheets and clothes.
Also a Bakelite radio - wish I'd kept it - would probably have been worth a fortune by now.
We also had a copper, & a wringer which was attached to the tubs (for rinsing things) & there was a product called I think, Bluo - widely known as blue bags, which were put in the rinsing water to get whites whiter. They were also used on bee stings.
When it was time to wash blankets - always heavy wool back then - it was my job to stand in the tub, walking on them to get the soap out after they'd been washed. Smile
Bluebags! I remember them for bee stings. I wonder what was in them, something alkaline, perhaps baking soda. Am I right to think that washing soda was a thing? What was it?
(22-03-2022, 06:47 PM)Olive Wrote: Bluebags!  I remember them for bee stings.  I wonder what was in them, something alkaline, perhaps baking soda.  Am I right to think that washing soda was a thing?  What was it?

Yes, my mother always had washing soda available (they were in crystal form in a box), but not sure how she used it. I do remember that if she burnt something in the saucepans, she would put washing soda in with some water, boil it up and the burnt-on stuff came off easily. But it must have had other uses.