Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will Smith smacks Chris Rock after remark about his wife
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-28/w.../100944638

Perhaps not in the best of taste, but did he deserve that smack in the face? Will Smith later apologised  to the academy for hitting him but not to Chris Rock.

I think the nasty little shit deserved it. Though probably not the best time & place to do that.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Making a joke about someone's ill-health .... eeeww. Even in the context of US celebrity culture that's tacky and offensive.
i promised mum i wouldnt use my fists to settle arguments when i was 14, and heading back off to boarding school.
that promise lasted about three days.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
If he had wanted to drop him, he could have. He slapped him. Nasty dig deserved a good slapping - he got half one...
Though to be fair the jokes made by Ricky Gervase at the Golden Globes were far worse.
So violence IS OK then? What a great example to his children and others.
Makes you wonder what goes on at home if he's so quick to take offence and lash out, doesn't it?
It's okay to ridicule a woman for her looks now? We're just all supposed to ignore that?

Sounds like the way we did it back in the fifties to me.
(29-03-2022, 07:30 AM)Outsider Wrote: So violence IS OK then? What a great example to his children and others.
Makes you wonder what goes on at home if he's so quick to take offence and lash out, doesn't it?
good question outsider
'is violence ok then?'

i guess not, but theres a part of me thinking that while its not ok,
sometimes its justified.

if you were to insult my wife publicly, then my reaction would be public too.
because you are on a stage in front of millions of people doesnt mean shit when some
arseholes just had a go at your partner.
mr smith didnt set the tone, he merely reacted to it. instinctive yes primal no.
im pretty sure giving chris rock a bloody good pimp slapping showed us all that there are consequences for being a dick.
frankly id like to see more of it, it makes great television, a learning experience for all.

im not sure that casting aspersions as to what goes on at home are appropriate tho 
his devotion to his family has been evident over many years.
the question isnt 'how short is the fuse?' its 'how bad was the insult?'
i don't think 'how bad was the insult?' is a reasonable question to be asking TBH, shouldn't come into it...
Any violence in response to insults and name calling is just childish backyard brawling and completely inappropriate.  In that situation I don't think it should matter that Chris Rock didn't press charges, he should be prosecuted anyway, I mean smacking someone on live TV/streams? a message needs to be sent... Just my two cents
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
now, the powers that be sussing out beforehand what script and commentary will be used by the host of the show, whats on the table and what are no go zones, taking into account of who gets the front row seats... That is a different story....

This twitter thread sheds a whole different light on the 'logic' behind Will Smith's lashing out, in a Church of Scientology perspective.
https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1...6979736587
if there were more violent response, trust me there would be less name calling and insults.
is there some other consequence for it? anything you can offer?
thats smack talk you be referring to my wife. some might be too wishy washy to act but he wasnt, he shut that shit down hard.
call me old fashioned but theres a man who stands behind his principles. if chris rock sat in your living room mouthing off like that you wouldnt put your head in a pillow and sob. youd give him a crack. he had it coming he got it.
if it goes to court i hope its dismissed.
to just sit there and smile politely while your wife's ailment is made a joke of in front your peers and the public?
thats more repulsive to me than the slap he got.
just desserts.

sorry, but if your mum didnt slap your bum and teach you not to be so fucking rude, then he wouldnt be forced to. talk to your mum about it, not mr smith..
(i come from a home where we were never, ever hit, same as my home now)
more people need to get up and sit up the front of the bus, our ongoing acceptance of this as entertainment this says more about us than those that do it.
Some of these so called "comedians" need to be pulled up. Using someone else's misfortune to get a laugh
is sick. Shows they have no class whatsoever or talent for that matter.
Smith should have decked him.
(29-03-2022, 09:23 AM)harm_less Wrote: This twitter thread sheds a whole different light on the 'logic' behind Will Smith's lashing out, in a Church of Scientology perspective.
https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1...6979736587
Oh that sucks, no-one will do anything about it now. He'll get a 'slap' on the wrist, that's all

(29-03-2022, 08:54 AM)king1 Wrote: now, the powers that be sussing out beforehand what script and commentary will be used by the host of the show, whats on the table and what are no go zones, taking into account of who gets the front row seats... That is a different story....

A very good point. Thanks for the reminder. None of these commentaries are spontaneous, they are all scripted. That makes the insult even worse because so many people would have approved it beforehand.

I do wish Smith had just walked onto the stage and yelled at the compère rather than hitting him.
lol, scientology. ive read l ron hubbard and hes kooky, old school kooky..
ive sat their test and failed.
scientology my arse. my religion (catholicism) has all kinds of rules and regs about this
ive never let it hold me back.
that had as much to do with scientology as science, nothing.

that was a man standing up, nothing more
mr rock should have taken a quick shufti round the room before engaging his mouth.
do you think mr rock will do it again?
i can assure you mr smith would do it again tomorrow if it happened.

(29-03-2022, 09:52 AM)Olive Wrote:
(29-03-2022, 08:54 AM)king1 Wrote: now, the powers that be sussing out beforehand what script and commentary will be used by the host of the show, whats on the table and what are no go zones, taking into account of who gets the front row seats... That is a different story....

A very good point.  Thanks for the reminder.  None of these commentaries are spontaneous, they are all scripted.  That makes the insult even worse because so many people would have approved it beforehand.

I do wish Smith had just walked onto the stage and yelled at the compère rather than hitting him.
some things are best dealt with right now, let them see the rage, let them fear the rage. share it.
Violence is almost never OK; while I don't condone his action I can certainly understand. Chris Rock attacked his wife Jada, in an extremely cruel & very public way & he surely must have known the effect it would have on her, if not her husband.
I tend to agree with Hunni in that Will Smith could have dropped the nasty little sod if he wanted to but decided against that. The days when it was OK - & claimed as being 'just a joke' to denigrate women for their physical appearance, have well & truly gone.

And yes, the idea that someone somewhere actually approved that nasty, hurtful remark needs to be investigated - who approved it & why the hell did that person think it was OK?

I just checked google & apparently Will Smith is not a scientologist now.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/28/wi...cars-slap/

https://tonyortega.org/2022/03/28/no-wil...he-oscars/
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
violence has taught me a few lessons about running my mouth over the years
nothing that wasnt deserved, or at least justified.
Violence is never okay?

And yet we give medals for the stuff, watch it as a 'sport', inflict it on other species every minute of every day - but slapping a fool for grossly insulting your wife is a bad thing?

Ha! Not in my world. Will Smith rocks.
he jiggy wid it

(29-03-2022, 09:41 AM)Sapana Wrote: Some of these so called "comedians" need to be pulled up. Using someone else's misfortune to get a laugh
is sick. Shows they have no class whatsoever or talent for that matter.
Smith should have decked him.
thats right.
comediocre on their best day.