Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Luxon on National using the Oscars incident.
Excellent that it was removed so quickly, but it really should never have happened.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...riate.html

"Christopher Luxon says it was inappropriate for the National Party Facebook page to share a meme of Will Smith smacking Chris Rock at the Oscars on Monday.
National on Monday evening shared an image on its Facebook of Smith slapping Rock, with Smith labelled as 'Labour's Cost of Living Crisis' and Rock referred to as 'Hardworking Kiwis'.
"I wasn't aware of it at the time. I became aware of it this morning," Luxon, the party leader, said on Tuesday morning. "What I was pleased to hear was that it had been taken down within 20 minutes and we have had conversations with the relevant people and I think the lessons have been learnt."
He said he doesn't believe it was appropriate."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
kinda funny actually as long as you ignore the fact that Nats contributed to the cost of living crisis just as much if not more...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Well yes - there is that! At least they had the sense to remove it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-03-2022, 02:03 PM)king1 Wrote: kinda funny actually as long as you ignore the fact that Nats contributed to the cost of living crisis just as much if not more...
but the nats are not in power nor have been for the last 5 years.
relevance your honour?

it would have been funnier if it were luxon slapping a bottom feeder.

now that would be newsworthy.

So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(29-03-2022, 02:43 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(29-03-2022, 02:03 PM)king1 Wrote: kinda funny actually as long as you ignore the fact that Nats contributed to the cost of living crisis just as much if not more...
relevance your honour?

relevance: national opening the floodgates on immigration after the gfc, on top of the continuing disparity between cost of living versus wage growth (or lack thereof), both of which have been diverging for several decades...

and I'll put money on that comment about luxon slapping a bottom feeder was the reason they pulled it.  They knew someone would think of it...

Luxon has been pulled up by the Speaker today for use of derogatory terms:
https://ondemand.parliament.nz/parliamen...mId=224053
As if removing stuff wasn't a Nat Party pastime...
(29-03-2022, 02:43 PM)Magoo Wrote: it would have been funnier if it were luxon slapping a bottom feeder.

Just for you...

In the last 4 years?  How so?

(29-03-2022, 02:43 PM)Magoo Wrote:
relevance your honour?

This really is becoming an echo chamber !

(29-03-2022, 03:22 PM)harm_less Wrote: Luxon has been pulled up by the Speaker today for use of derogatory terms:
https://ondemand.parliament.nz/parliamen...mId=224053
Oh the irony.  The speaker calling someone out for a derogatory term.  I wonder - is rapist a derogatory term?
Luxon is now disagreeing with Jim Bolger over the fair pay agreement. He doesn't seem keen on improvements to wages for those on low incomes, which is a bit odd o0f his earlier "we care" comment.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...wrong.html

"FPAs are a set of terms and conditions - including wages and working hours - that employers in a particular sector must abide by, with the overall aim of raising standards.

Labour's FPA plans were foiled by its former Government coalition partner New Zealand First. But with a huge majority in Parliament, Labour is now pushing ahead to improve pay and conditions for essential workers. On Tuesday the party introduced its Fair Pay Agreements Bill to Parliament.

The FPA framework is the same system proposed by Bolger who led the FPA working group in 2019.

But current National leader Luxon isn't a fan, telling AM on Wednesday it will hurt businesses and the economy. "
(30-03-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Luxon is now disagreeing with Jim Bolger over the fair pay agreement. He doesn't seem keen on improvements to wages for those on low incomes, which is a bit odd o0f his earlier "we care" comment.

"FPAs are a set of terms and conditions - including wages and working hours - that employers in a particular sector must abide by, with the overall aim of raising standards.

Labour's FPA plans were foiled by its former Government coalition partner New Zealand First. But with a huge majority in Parliament, Labour is now pushing ahead to improve pay and conditions for essential workers. On Tuesday the party introduced its Fair Pay Agreements Bill to Parliament.

The FPA framework is the same system proposed by Bolger who led the FPA working group in 2019.

But current National leader Luxon isn't a fan, telling AM on Wednesday it will hurt businesses and the economy. "
Stupid law -basically compulsory unionism by stealth.  A business in Invercargil shouldn't be aligned with a similar business in Auckland. People have the option to join a union if they wish - the fact so few do shows that unions are basically useless.  In my industry only 20% of staff belong to a union and many other industries are the same.
(30-03-2022, 12:15 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(30-03-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Luxon is now disagreeing with Jim Bolger over the fair pay agreement. He doesn't seem keen on improvements to wages for those on low incomes, which is a bit odd o0f his earlier "we care" comment.

Stupid law -basically compulsory unionism by stealth.  A business in Invercargil shouldn't be aligned with a similar business in Auckland. People have the option to join a union if they wish - the fact so few do shows that unions are basically useless.  
Not sure your logic is sound in that argument .  Maybe unions are 'useless' (as you put it) simply because they have less influence these days and/or are not as needed as they used to be because current labour laws are less tolerant of exploitation.

I guess the point being, should National get back in and start rolling back employee rights, then you will find union membership grows considerably....

If there were no unscrupulous employers, there would be no need for unions.
(30-03-2022, 12:33 PM)king1 Wrote:
(30-03-2022, 12:15 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Stupid law -basically compulsory unionism by stealth.  A business in Invercargil shouldn't be aligned with a similar business in Auckland. People have the option to join a union if they wish - the fact so few do shows that unions are basically useless.  
Not sure your logic is sound in that argument .  Maybe unions are 'useless' (as you put it) simply because they have less influence these days and/or are not as needed as they used to be because current labour laws are less tolerant of exploitation. 

I guess the point being, should National get back in and start rolling back employee rights, then you will find union membership grows considerably....
So if unions are so good at what they do and beneficial for their members - why is it that so few people join them now?   There is a reason - just not one the unions like.

(30-03-2022, 01:46 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: If there were no unscrupulous employers, there would be no need for unions.
Unfortunately there will always be employers who take advantage of people - and even when unions were compulsory it was the case.  

One does not necessarily mean the other doesn't happen.
more info on the Fair Pay Agreements if anyone is interested, bound to be riveting reading
https://www.mbie.govt.nz/business-and-employment/employment-and-skills/employment-legislation-reviews/fair-pay-agreements

(31-03-2022, 02:35 PM)king1 Wrote: more info on the Fair Pay Agreements if anyone is interested, bound to be riveting reading
https://www.mbie.govt.nz/business-and-employment/employment-and-skills/employment-legislation-reviews/fair-pay-agreements
Might print it out - need more toilet paper.