Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jeanne Sampson, code breaker, dies age 100
Until I came across this article I'd never heard of this woman before, but she was involved in breaking the code at Bletchley park during WW2. Wink

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1282560...s-aged-100
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We owe a lot to those guys  Yes
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Yes we certainly do.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
We had photos of her 100th birthday in the Upper Hutt Leader. A very modest person. The Bletchley Circle on TV gave some idea of what work they did during the war.
Funny thing, there was an article recently that explained why women in coding simply stopped being a thing in the eighties. The author blamed the computer marketing people who targeted young males for computer sales, and totally ignored girls. Prior to that most coders were in fact women. And a lot of them were black. I remember the photo that appeared on farcebook with the slim fine built black woman standing alongside a stack of A4 pages taller than she was, that was all her own work - pages of calculations that underpinned the space race...

And now we are campaigning to bring young women back into STEM areas...

Life is weird at times.
The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy.