Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XE Variant
XE was first detected in Britain in January.
Bloomfield said today if XE arrived in this country health chiefs would need to look at its characteristics and whether they needed to impose stricter rules such as limiting indoor gatherings to keep the numbers down to a manageable level.
If it was in Britain since January wouldn't they know the characteristics?

Bloomfield warned if it makes its way to New Zealand, stricter measures could be needed to make sure hospitals don't get overrun.
These guys have had over 2 years to make sure hospitals dont get overrun and what have they done about it, a big fat nothing.

When asked if science and politics have been too intertwined, he said the reason New Zealand had done incredibly well throughout the pandemic was because politicians had listened to the science and had been willing to take the advice.

Sorry to have to say but this is political, the labour government knows nothing else except the virus and its become Arderns political stage because she has nothing else to stand on! I voted Labour last time but I will not be voting for them again until this lot have vacated the Beehive, especially the Queen Bee.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Oh c'mon, science takes time. There are new variants and recoms every day. Labs are doing the work, but it all takes time.

Just keep wearing that mask, staying out of crowds, and you should be fine. I hope.
dad had an XE Variant back in the day.
he preferred the holden kingswood.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I had an XJ. It was a beautiful bike.
Well that discussion about the new XE Variant turned very quickly. I'm not sure it is that easy to separate politics from science at the moment... The science is still very real, but you're suggesting the PM only makes decisions that are politically motivated?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(05-04-2022, 11:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Oh c'mon, science takes time. There are new variants and recoms every day. Labs are doing the work, but it all takes time.

Just keep wearing that mask, staying out of crowds, and you should be fine. I hope.
Indeed. It isn't a bad thing for govt to adapt & change if that's needed - it may be bloody annoying but if the choice is inconvenience or being really ill with another  variant then its basically Hobson's choice.
And any govt with its head screwed  on would be doing likewise regardless of political views.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I believe in the science but the longer this goes on (and no I haven't gone down the rabbit hole) I truly think that it has become politically motivated, Labour won by a landslide last election because of the way they handled Covid that they are trying to grab back some of that fame because they are sliding up and down the polls, their mantra was that life would get back to normal when enough of us were vaccinated, well enough of us are. But no the government is controlling us to a certain degree, I feel for these poor people that cant run their businesses properly because we are stuck in the red traffic light system, I am thinking that a couple of days after Australians are allowed in I recon we will go to orange because who wants to be a tourist with restrictions so yes I do think its politically motivated. 

By the way I am allowed to be wrong  Big Grin
(05-04-2022, 03:20 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I believe in the science but the longer this goes on (and no I haven't gone down the rabbit hole) I truly think that it has become politically motivated, Labour won by a landslide last election because of the way they handled Covid that they are trying to grab back some of that fame because they are sliding up and down the polls, their mantra was that life would get back to normal when enough of us were vaccinated, well enough of us are. But no the government is controlling us to a certain degree, I feel for these poor people that cant run their businesses properly because we are stuck in the red traffic light system, I am thinking that a couple of days after Australians are allowed in I recon we will go to orange because who wants to be a tourist with restrictions so yes I do think its politically motivated. 

There could be an element of that in their actions - politicians tend to be a sneaky lot after all. And you could well be right in that changes could happen once Aussies turn up here.

But on the other hand, new variants are definitely of concern & any govt should be reacting to them - hopefully with the aim of keeping their voters alive & well enough to vote next time.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"their mantra was that life would get back to normal when enough of us were vaccinated,". It was, but I think it is unfair to dredge up comments from even six months ago, because there is no precedent for this virus and its variants, and governments all around the world are having to deal with it as its infection process continues to unfold. Aotearoa And Australia did have an advantage in the beginning as we were behind Europe, but now the variants have pretty well caught up.
im happy to follow their guidelines, i cant fault them thus far.
when compared to being in lockdown and/or other restrictions we had , I think we have a sense of normality now...
But you can't expect it to go back to pre covid levels of freedom (or state 'control', depending on your viewpoint) in the middle of a global pandemic, with new variants on the horizon...

(05-04-2022, 04:01 PM)king1 Wrote: when compared to being in lockdown and/or other restrictions we had , I think we have a sense of normality now...
But you can't expect it to go back to pre covid levels of freedom (or state 'control', depending on your viewpoint) in the middle of a global pandemic, with new variants on the horizon...
we will never go back to pre covid normalcy.
everything has changed.
i hope its not something we strive for, because i think that would be folly.
No more lock downs? I hope not but then again all governments seem to go back on their word don't they?
(05-04-2022, 05:00 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: No more lock downs? I hope not but then again all governments seem to go back on their word don't they?
If some new horrible variant appears in the future I will be more than happy for them to back track on any statements they have made in the interest of public (and my) safety...

(05-04-2022, 05:00 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: No more lock downs? I hope not but then again all governments seem to go back on their word don't they?
Maybe that's because mutating viruses are far from predictable? Just for perspective when did you last endure a global pandemic?
(05-04-2022, 04:32 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 04:01 PM)king1 Wrote: when compared to being in lockdown and/or other restrictions we had , I think we have a sense of normality now...
we will never go back to pre covid normalcy.
everything has changed.
i hope its not something we strive for, because i think that would be folly.
Totally agree.
Perhaps then life as we knew it is gone forever; but humans are nothing if not resourceful so that if it really has gone then somehow sooner or later, we'll find ways to adapt.
no, i dont think theyve gone back on their word.
its an imprecise and unprecedented science.
we're learning as we go, next time we'll know better and will tell you some lies then.
(05-04-2022, 03:20 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I believe in the science but the longer this goes on (and no I haven't gone down the rabbit hole) I truly think that it has become politically motivated, Labour won by a landslide last election because of the way they handled Covid that they are trying to grab back some of that fame because they are sliding up and down the polls, their mantra was that life would get back to normal when enough of us were vaccinated, well enough of us are. But no the government is controlling us to a certain degree, I feel for these poor people that cant run their businesses properly because we are stuck in the red traffic light system, I am thinking that a couple of days after Australians are allowed in I recon we will go to orange because who wants to be a tourist with restrictions so yes I do think its politically motivated. 

I hate to say it about going to the orange setting BUT I TOLD YOU SO  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
And I reckon its very political no matter what sort of spin they put on it.
(13-04-2022, 01:09 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:

I hate to say it about going to the orange setting BUT I TOLD YOU SO  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
And I reckon its very political no matter what sort of spin they put on it.
lol, choccy fish for you...