Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tauranga by-election
Is set for June 18. Can't imagine that a cold winter's day will be great for turnout numbers, but hey, what you going to do... aside from staying in the position that you were voted in to do for a full term and not jump ship after less than two years possibly because you were worried that your party would win the election and that you would be the guy that would have to balance the books by slashing spending on things like health and education which would be that thing you would be remembered for and would no doubt get mentioned on the hologram news when you've passed away and they cut to grainy clips of you walking up and down the halls of the Beehive spliced with that one where your kid throws the ball at you and you drop it which makes you look hilariously uncoordinated even though you're probably not. They almost definitely won't finish the segment with that photo of you eating an ice cream with the words Simon Bridges and your birth and death years, but who knows how snarky the hologram news will be in the future?

Anyhoozle...

You'd expect that whatever potato National goes with will win, but by how much? They still have a month to pick their spud, but former deputy mayor, current real estate agent, and old white guy, Kelvin Clout is apparently keen.

The Labs are sticking with the capable List MP Jan Tinetti who managed to narrow the gap to under 2000 votes at the last election, but that might have had something to do with the trainwreck that was Judith Collins political career.

And of course there's Winston. Probably doesn't have enough clout these days to pull of an upset (and most of his previous voters have since shuffled off this mortal coil), but if he did run, that has a potential to dig into that blue/red vote.
a veritable who's who of bureaucratic mediocrity for the citizens of tauranga.
ive seen a 15% jump in my rates, so i'll probably have to be working election day.

im not too sure it will be a romp home for national either.
lot of new faces in tauranga. younger, urbane, more families come now than retirees.
different dynamics at work.
seeing tauranga turn red wouldnt surprise me in the least.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Does ACT have a strong presence in Tauranga?
since the council got the boot and state regulators installed
no one has had much presence at all.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye