Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vermin
Saw a mouse running down the skirting on monday.
we live on a rural fringe, paddocks behind us, so every year about this time they start sneaking in.
one year it was rats *shudder*
put the traps down last nite got one in each before bed, and one in each again this morning.
erk alors a pestilence. a horde. 
it doesnt help we leave doors and windows open all day and night.
we do not want a cat.
im not keen on them.
id rather put up with the odd mouse.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Odd mice are okay, but demented rats are not. You can adopt a barn cat, who prefers to live a much less cossetted life, can rely on clean water and maintenance level dry food diet, and it will keep your rodent problem bearable.
Vermin!
Sorry I thought you were talking about the Christchurch protesters for a minute  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(07-04-2022, 09:21 AM)Magoo Wrote: Saw a mouse running down the skirting on monday.
we live on a rural fringe, paddocks behind us, so every year about this time they start sneaking in.
one year it was rats *shudder*
put the traps down last nite got one in each before bed, and one in each again this morning.
erk alors a pestilence. a horde. 
it doesnt help we leave doors and windows open all day and night.
we do not want a cat.
im not keen on them.
id rather put up with the odd mouse.

Yes, it's that time of year when they start looking for somewhere warm. We used to have a problem when we had black plastic compost bins. When we changed to open wooden bins it was much better, and now that we have stopped putting lawn clippings in we have very little problem (the compost is much better without). Although, having said that, the cat has chalked up a rat a few weeks ago and a few mice since so they are around at the moment. Even without your own cat, you probably have neighbourhood cats around. If you "allow" one to make your place its territory, it will probably help to keep the rodent numbers down.
We have a big neutered male cat who roams around outside most of the night, especially around the compost bin area, but apart from one tiny baby rat he has been no use at all. He seems to prefer rabbits and the occasional fledgling. I think he's scared of the big rats. We have had to resort to poison more than once.
im not the arbiter of territory unfortunately
the two dogs have free reign over the property
but im sure the cats come around at night when the dogs are abed

i try to deter the cats by measuring them up for gloves, or steering wheel covers.
that puts them off
I've never seen a cat with gloves, or with a steering wheel.
I do have other cameras!
Unfortunately we lost our big male tabby back in January to roadkill. He was a 6.5kg bruiser whose record was devouring 3 small rabbits within a 24 hour period. Diet, what diet!

Our remaining female tabby who is a more modest size is currently training our new addition by bringing in various wildlife for the young 'un to practice on. We woke yesterday morning to young Grace doing aerial gymnastics over a mouse in its last throes together with a half eaten a small eel in the hallway. This morning there was half a small rabbit under the dining table and a sleepy and contented tabby laxing out downstairs.

We are on 5 acres with a river boundary and assume the eels venture into the pasture in wet weather as they seem to be common prey. Without the cats we would be overrun with vermin, as are the cat-less neighbours.
they do make a lovely pair of gloves im told, size is important because what use is one glove?
it should be big enough for a pair.
I've got one of those thingamajigs, electronic pest/rodent deterrent thingys, that works well. And the previous cat was pretty good, too.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/pestrol-r...lsrc=aw.ds
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(07-04-2022, 10:53 AM)Magoo Wrote: they do make a lovely pair of gloves im told, size is important because what use is one glove?

You need two cats - one for each hand.
We used to live in an old farmhouse - come winter and the mice came in. They were chewing the lids off all our food containers and getting inside. We went to the SPCA and got a big Ginga - first day he caught a dozen mice and one rat. Sorted.

Later we were living rural, next to bush, and had another Ginga - never saw him catch a bird, let alone a native...well, one Waxeye. But in the morning there would be the remains of up to 4 rats on the deck, sometimes webbed feet, or half a bunny. What a weapon ! Get a Ginga, if it's smaller than them and moves...it's dead.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I had a ginger cat years ago - not much use at hunting, but his sister, a black tortoiseshell - was a brilliant hunter.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
gingers are difficult creatures to love
(07-04-2022, 04:22 PM)Magoo Wrote: gingers are difficult creatures to love

Need some understanding in the friendship department - but love? No problem.

Cut their balls off and you're good to go. A Ginger Tom is a nasty piece of work.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
A square of chicken netting under the black plastic bins keeps the rats out. And a thin layer of grass clippings is fine, but go thick and the compost goes sour. It is more important to add brown - that is, dry leaves, dry stalks, twigs, dead heads that sort of thing, think fibre in the diet of the bin... Even newspaper works. In thin layers. The trick is to mix and turn and layer...

Like making a cake.

(07-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Zurdo Wrote:

Cut their balls off and you're good to go. A Ginger Tom is a nasty piece of work.
I dunno so much. I rather loved mine. Mind you, he was an entire...

(07-04-2022, 01:38 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(07-04-2022, 10:53 AM)Magoo Wrote: they do make a lovely pair of gloves im told, size is important because what use is one glove?

I might be going off you.

If it wasn't for the fact you are a really good poster!
(07-04-2022, 01:38 PM)SueDonim Wrote:

good thinking, might even have some left over for a pair of nipple warmers
Remember the furore on TM years ago, when someone put a rug up for sale, which was made from a dozen or so cat skins?
I do have other cameras!
I don't remember cat skins on TM, but don't really have a problem with the concept so long as they were feral cats that needed to be culled and were killed humanely, then they're the same as possums. DH is always joking that our guy would make a good hat (Magoo - that's a use for your glove leftovers) but don't worry Oh_hunnihunni, he is safe. You only have to see them interact to know they idolise each other.

Thinking of feral cats, I knew a farmer who had a big problem on the farm and had to cull the excess. They kept some, all neutered etc before being re-released, and feel they now have the right balance of rodent control versus risk to birds. The cats are still wild, but do take the food that's put out for them.The bird life came back and the farm now has a healthy wildlife environment.