Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death threats, violence at Christian school.
We're really just not a very nice species sometimes. More & more, I think it might not be  such a bad idea to require all religions to go through their holy books & remove the passages inciting hatred, violence & inequality.
Most of them were written back in or close to, the first century & so contain a lot which isn't relevant in the 21st century & which is very out of step with our times.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/30...ian-school

"Violence, death threats and verbal attacks targeted at a group of students who were showing support for the LGBTQIA+ community broke out at a Tauranga school on Friday.
A group of students at Bethlehem College, a state-integrated Christian school, were taking part in the international Day of Silence against bullying when they became the victims of death threats, name-calling, sexual comments and ‘missiles’ thrown from an opposing group including other students at the college.
The abuse included chants of “kill the gays”, and students attending the event said that their phones had been confiscated so that they could not record video footage.

A parent of a student at Bethlehem College said that those taking part in the protest had received verbal death threats, “obscene heckling” and “sexual shaming” comments from other teenage students at the school.
“It is ironic that people protesting against bullying themselves become the victim of bullying,” said the parent.

The petition to the government quotes students sharing their stories. One former student said she was told that girls are “at fault” if they get sexually abused.
“We got told in an assembly that boys ‘can’t control themselves,’ and that ‘their brains aren’t fully developed until they’re 25 … it is down to what you wear’,” she said.
Lal said they had heard numerous stories of conversion therapy at Bethlehem College.

A parent whose child attended the college and who spoke to Stuff on the basis of anonymity said one student was told by a member of staff that they had “a demon inside that needed to be exorcised”.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I would hope some of their government funding requires them to tow the line a little bit. Hopefully there will be consequences for the school from this
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I'd like to think so; perhaps in view of the revelations about Gloriavale they might re think their views.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Just because its a "christian" school, it absolutely means nothing, they are taking people for fools.