Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Luxon attempts to remove foot from mouth
He's now changed his mind & says fair pay isn't the end of civilisation as we know it, the sky will not fall & employees won't have the ability to take industrial action during  negotiations, as he wrongly claimed.
Big Grin Rolleyes

Interesting that its invariably parties on the right who aren't often keen on employees benefiting.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ation.html
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well, no one wants the minions revolting...
let them eat cake

mmmmmmm cake
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(08-04-2022, 04:47 PM)Magoo Wrote: let them eat cake

mmmmmmm cake
Settle down, Marie! Big Grin Big Grin

Although - she never actually said that.

https://www.livescience.com/let-the-eat-cake.html

"Did Marie Antoinette really utter the infamous words, "Let them eat cake"?

The quick answer to this question is a simple "no." Marie Antoinette, the last pre-revolutionary queen of France, did not say "Let them eat cake" when confronted with news that Parisian peasants were so desperately poor they couldn't afford bread." 
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
of course she didnt
she spoke french.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
"We can actually become a more productive economy if we shift the focus of our economy from competing on the basis of low wages to competing on the basis of better products and services," Michael Wood said.

Based on this governments previous efforts this statement will work out the entire opposite.

(08-04-2022, 04:47 PM)Magoo Wrote: let them eat cake

mmmmmmm cake
Ardern had one of those moments a few weeks ago "there is no cost of living crisis".  Nek minute....bad polls and tax off petrol.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8942-...2204080325
The whole idea of the neoliberal experiment was to improve productivity. If the last 40 years have taught us anything, it's that glorifying the rich, and making it super easy for them to further enrich themselves, does the opposite. They leech off the productive.
I do have other cameras!
(08-04-2022, 05:49 PM)Praktica Wrote: The whole idea of the neoliberal experiment was to improve productivity. If the last 40 years have taught us anything, it's that glorifying the rich, and making it super easy for them to further enrich themselves, does the opposite. They leech off the productive.
They certainly do, & in the process of imposing neo Liberalism, they've also virtually destroyed various regions, some of  which once had industries giving employment.
(08-04-2022, 06:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 05:49 PM)Praktica Wrote: The whole idea of the neoliberal experiment was to improve productivity. If the last 40 years have taught us anything, it's that glorifying the rich, and making it super easy for them to further enrich themselves, does the opposite. They leech off the productive.
They certainly do, & in the process of imposing neo Liberalism, they've also virtually destroyed various regions, some of  which once had industries giving employment.
Taranaki has a very good industry up until 2018.
(08-04-2022, 07:09 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 06:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: They certainly do, & in the process of imposing neo Liberalism, they've also virtually destroyed various regions, some of  which once had industries giving employment.
Taranaki has a very good industry up until 2018.
And what has this non sequitur to do with the topic?
I do have other cameras!
(08-04-2022, 09:30 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 07:09 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Taranaki has a very good industry up until 2018.
And what has this non sequitur to do with the topic?
Just saying Taranaki had a $30billion industry that employed lots of people.  it disappeared virtually overnight.
(08-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 09:30 PM)Praktica Wrote: And what has this non sequitur to do with the topic?
Just saying Taranaki had a $30billion industry that employed lots of people.  it disappeared virtually overnight.
Are we talking about oil and gas exploration?  Good riddance to it I say, far better ways to build an economy for the future...

and from what I read, it wasn't a $30billion industry - it was a maybe/potential  $30billion industry - a big difference.    they estimated $30billion in value lost by 2050 if it prospered, so approx $1billion dollars per year over the next 30 years.  Never would have lasted that long imho...  
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-04-2022, 10:24 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 09:48 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Just saying Taranaki had a $30billion industry that employed lots of people.  it disappeared virtually overnight.
Are we talking about oil and gas exploration?  Good riddance to it I say, far better ways to build an economy for the future...

and from what I read, it wasn't a $30billion industry - it was a maybe/potential  $30billion industry - a big difference.    they estimated $30billion in value lost by 2050 if it prospered, so approx $1billion dollars per year over the next 30 years.  Never would have lasted that long imho...  
I guess you may not be so critical if you were some of the people who relied on it for their livelihood.  Instead at some point we will need to start importing gas like we now import record amounts of dirty Indonesian coal while our (relatively) clean coal sits in the ground.
in these days of increasing technology in the solar/hydro field, petrochem combustion will go the way of steam.
why would we get behind obsolete technology by searching for and extracting its power source?
(09-04-2022, 07:03 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 10:24 PM)king1 Wrote: Are we talking about oil and gas exploration?  Good riddance to it I say, far better ways to build an economy for the future...

I guess you may not be so critical if you were some of the people who relied on it for their livelihood.  Instead at some point we will need to start importing gas like we now import record amounts of dirty Indonesian coal while our (relatively) clean coal sits in the ground.
Well, your neoliberal friends corporatised the state owned mines, and we then proceeded to the next step - buy the cheapest coal available. You need to do some thinking, about the consequences of supporting unfettered capitalism.
I do have other cameras!
(09-04-2022, 08:30 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 07:03 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I guess you may not be so critical if you were some of the people who relied on it for their livelihood.  Instead at some point we will need to start importing gas like we now import record amounts of dirty Indonesian coal while our (relatively) clean coal sits in the ground.
Well, your neoliberal friends corporatised the state owned mines, and we then proceeded to the next step - buy the cheapest coal available. You need to do some thinking, about the consequences of supporting unfettered capitalism.
Sorry unsure who these friends are you speak of.

(09-04-2022, 08:08 AM)Magoo Wrote: in these days of increasing technology in the solar/hydro field, petrochem combustion will go the way of steam.
why would we get behind obsolete technology by searching for and extracting its power source?
Hydro is good but I doubt we will see any more dams built in NZ.  Solar is OK for small use, for industrial applications no.  Wind is expensive and no one wants wind turbines near them or anywhere they can be seen.

We SHOULD be investing in geothermal and getting tech from Iceland.

Btw Oil isn't just used to power vehicles.
oil  is   used for     pharaceuticals   ,   plastics    ,synthetic  materials   paint, bitumen , lubricants     just to name a few  so   what  would we do without it         ,   but of course  they    think its  all made into petrol  .   Then we have  that nice clean natural  gas  thats due to run out  within   10 years max    ,   they wont have   anywhere near enough electricity to replace it  even if the  built  the onslow dam  today  .geothermal  is  at  max even with  re injection      Justr  a few  hard  facts to    think over  for the  dreamers that wind & solar  are the   answer  .  The Uk      has them everywhere  yet  has to import  electricity  from Norway  .   Euro  countries are  going away from nuclear    to  fossil  fues   again  .
Who are 'they'?
(10-04-2022, 06:03 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Who are 'they'?
They, them - that is their pronouns
Hemp may eventually prove to be a possible alternative; it has various uses, including fuel, food & fabric, & can also be made into building material.

https://www.hempgrower.com/article/postp...uconn-hia/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ebiofuelme

https://www.gaiaca.com/what-to-do-with-h...ed%20stalk.