Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Louisa Wall leaves parliament
After 14 years Louisa Wall has resigned as an MP. That seems a bit sudden but maybe she's just had enough of it.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ament.html

"First elected in 2008 as an MP on Labour's list, Wall held the seat of Manurewa from 2011 to 2020. During her time in Parliament, she championed and won marriage equality for same-sex couples in 2013passed law that establishes safe zones for women having abortions and in most recent weeks advanced legislation for Paige Harris.
"It's been an honour to represent and provide a voice in parliament to those who are so often unheard," Wall said. 
"I've loved working as a parliamentarian and have enjoyed building relationships with colleagues across the house. Most recently I've thoroughly enjoyed my role as co-chair of the Inter-parliamentary Alliance on China and advocating for human rights."
Ardern, as Labour leader, paid tribute to the outgoing MP. 
"Louisa has been a hero to many throughout her parliamentary career. Her commitment to human rights and equality has been absolutely unwavering. She has been relentless in her pursuit of human rights for all," Ardern said. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There was some kerfuffle about her status in the past election - can't properly remember. Wasn't she supplanted in her safe seat by another politician and relegated to the list?
I hear she's joining up with Simon Bridges to form the Opposites Attract Party.
(29-03-2022, 03:12 PM)Olive Wrote: There was some kerfuffle about her status in the past election - can't properly remember.  Wasn't she supplanted in her safe seat by another politician and relegated to the list?
Yeah something like that I think.

(29-03-2022, 03:17 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: I hear she's joining up with Simon Bridges to form the Opposites Attract Party.
yeah...that would be interesting... Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And now revealed the divisions in Labour...and a not so "kind' Ardern:

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/04/09/louis...eadership/
(11-04-2022, 12:01 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And now revealed the divisions in Labour...and a not so "kind' Ardern:

I wouldn't read too much into that - I sense a lot of sour grapes because she backed the wrong horse ie David Cunliffe... trust becomes an issue, same crap happens everywhere....
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(11-04-2022, 12:01 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And now revealed the divisions in Labour...and a not so "kind' Ardern:

Kind when the situation requires it but don't confuse that with being a soft touch. She's a way more savvy and intuitive leader for that.
I imagine there is a whole side of this that we don't know. Wall apparently had huge staff turnover while in office - that's usually an indicator of bullying or irrationality.
(11-04-2022, 01:20 PM)Olive Wrote: I imagine there is a whole side of this that we don't know.  Wall apparently had huge staff turnover while in office - that's usually an indicator of bullying or irrationality.
I hadn't heard that, but a constant turnover of staff is almost never a good thing. We'll probably never know, though.
Just like being an employee in a large, or small company. Don't play ball with the right people and you are doing shit jobs all day. Time to leave, and tell everyone what wankers they are. She's been there earning good money long enough to have a few rentals stashed away for a rainy day.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Watch Sunday's Q&A. Superb piece with her, well worth the watch. In fact the whole show was excellent.
(11-04-2022, 04:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Watch Sunday's Q&A. Superb piece with her, well worth the watch. In fact the whole show was excellent.
I saw that as well; she's cagey as all politicians tend to be but that seems  tempered with actual concern, which isn't usual.

I see Marine Le Pen is making gains in France & the left candidate (who at this point may hold the balance of power) has warned against voting for her under any circumstances, given her extreme views.
Interesting times... Big Grin