Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How depraved and worthless
do you have to be to rip off a charity?

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/291397-th...-shop.html

i volunteer two days a week at waipuna hospice. (not the mt maunganui store)
this shit sickens me. 
why would you?

how far down evolutions scale is the mindset that makes this ok?
someone needs to kick the snot out of these low life animals.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
We have a local woman, well known in the community because she has a heavy Roooshun accent, dyes her silver hair bright pink, and likes to carry her op shop purchases in designer shopping bags from Gucci and Chanel. She is well known because she is a thief, and prefers to exit the op shops without stopping at the counter to pay. The local hospice shops have standing instructions to have staff follow her from front door till she leaves.

Annoys the hell out of her apparently, but still she goes in on a weekly basis...

Has to be some kind of mental illness, surely.
Similar story from my previous life in orcharding in the Bay of Plenty. A woman driving a late model Mercedes and dressed to the 9s got caught stealing from a roadside honesty box produce stand. She was not as much embarrassed in being caught as fearful of her theft becoming know to others and especially her husband. Definitely not poverty driven in her actions but obviously she had some sort of mental condition to be doing what she was.
i caught dozens of shoplifters when i was in retail.
For the younger ones its usually a theft of opportunity, because they can.
what they forget is how often we get shoplifted and how good we are at catching them.

the next size up are your 'steal to order' thieves, who are coming in with a shopping list.
i know a guy in Hawkes Bay, as well as running a prostitution outcall service also has a large criminal network of thieves and will get you anything you want. anything.
New bed linen? what size and colour? a big block for a 69 Camaro?. auto or manual?
I didnt see many of these as the only rule I had in my shop was that we didnt sell anything of use, or useful in any way.

next up are threepeaters, them as not all there, like hunnis mate, or harmlesses friends.
the most annoying. usually after the same thing. week after week.
for us was a nutbar lady with a parrot who tried to get the big Nici soft toys. The $150 ones.
i chased her down a dozen times, didnt call the police, it didnt help.

we had a reputation as being a bad place to shoplift, the owner being an unpredictable, loose cannon.
You either have to be a miserable excuse for a human, or have a mental illness to rob a charity shop.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I've worked for several op shops, including hospice and it was always a problem. Women wearing baggy clothes and leaving without buying anything while looking much fatter than when they came in. It's disgusting because it IS stealing from good causes but I've heard people justifying it on the Trademe Forum in the past by saying, "They get all their stuff for nothing and charge too much for it anyway". Another favourite is "The volunteers get the first pick of stuff cheaply", which is totally untrue in most cases, because we weren't allowed to buy anything until it had been out in the shop and priced fairly for several days. There will obviously be the odd bad apple in the volunteer group, but the majority of people put a lot of time into helping in the shops because they believe in the charity - often because their family have been looked after very well by that charity when they were sick (in the case of hospice).
shoplifting is truly annoying.
what shocks me about this instance is the cold intent,, the pre meditation of it.
it wasnt some nutjob, or a spur of the moment shoplifting.
it took multiple people to do, they burgled higher value items.
they knew who it impacted and from whom they stole.

pondscum
(13-04-2022, 03:49 PM)Magoo Wrote: shoplifting is truly annoying.
what shocks me about this instance is the cold intent,, the pre meditation of it.
it wasnt some nutjob, or a spur of the moment shoplifting.
it took multiple people to do, they burgled higher value items.
they knew who it impacted and from whom they stole.

pondscum
It almost makes you hope for a bit of instant karma.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It makes you wonder if it runs in the family, did the parents do that sort of thing, if so the kids learn it and think that its ok to do.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular