Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NZ's biggest solar farm to be built
If lithium recovery from geothermal water proves viable I can see more of those power stations being built.
(22-04-2022, 06:12 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-04-2022, 05:21 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Can't recall the name but it was the one on the west coast.  1000 hectares buried under steel and glass - sounds like a pretty big environmental impact right there.
Did you miss the bit in the article in the OP about the solar farm including "sheep grazing, cropping, pollinator planting and beekeeping"? Pretty difficult to do those activities in a flooded valley. And the solar farm will retire land from its current dairy farming use which arguably a questionable activity on pumice based soils.

(22-04-2022, 05:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: No because the one I was thinking of was delined a number of years ago.
This one I believe.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korih...ati-waewae
So, how many hectares would the dam have inundated. Considering it was designed to produce "20 megahertz [sic] of electricity", which I assume was meant to be 20 MW it would have had 1/20 of the generating capacity of Nova's planned solar installation so the comparative generation capacity was likely to be a no-contest on a MW/ha basis.
Hopefully was the word used.

(22-04-2022, 06:24 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(22-04-2022, 05:23 PM)king1 Wrote: Are you talking Helium-3? Mining on the Moon...

Iron Sky - average movie, could have been done better...
no, i saw a doco some time back about harvesting solar winds and energy from space and projecting it to earth.
Ben Bova wrote quite a good novel called Powersat about just such a plan.
(22-04-2022, 06:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: If lithium recovery from geothermal water proves viable I can see more of those power stations being built.
there is significant gold in old geothermal vents around volcanoes.
iwi and another company are drilling samples from a spot just east of lake taupo.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(14-04-2022, 03:39 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Todd - been doing good business in NZ for over 100 years. Remember Europa ?  That was a Todd company. Rootes Group (Hillman, Commer) Chrysler and Mitsubishi dealerships. It was said you didn't get a Todd dealership unless you married into the family. They are smart and haven't been involved in many fuckups or scandals.

Where is this paddock of mirrors going to be ? I'm sure someone is going to be upset where ever they want to put it - I can guarantee that !
Todd  owns all    oil7 gas   exploration rights in  Nz the old man was smart enough to   get them   many  decades  ago  .  Thats why they were part of the Shell BP todd consortium   but  shell &  Bp hated todds guts  as they were  putting in the lions share of the money for     the Maui   project  &  saw  todd as  freeloaders
I think this is a move in the right direction, but we need to be less reliant on big corporations to supply us power and install panels on our homes, the price of panels is so cheap and lots of real estate to put panels on roofs.
Other things to consider is where solar farms are places, would hate to see them take up productive farmland, but in some cases i have seen animals still able to graze around the panels.
(23-04-2022, 12:43 AM)joe 90 Wrote:
(14-04-2022, 03:39 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Todd - been doing good business in NZ for over 100 years. Remember Europa ?  That was a Todd company. Rootes Group (Hillman, Commer) Chrysler and Mitsubishi dealerships. It was said you didn't get a Todd dealership unless you married into the family. They are smart and haven't been involved in many fuckups or scandals.

Where is this paddock of mirrors going to be ? I'm sure someone is going to be upset where ever they want to put it - I can guarantee that !
Todd  owns all    oil7 gas   exploration rights in  Nz the old man was smart enough to   get them   many  decades  ago  .  Thats why they were part of the Shell BP todd consortium   but  shell &  Bp hated todds guts  as they were  putting in the lions share of the money for     the Maui   project  &  saw  todd as  freeloaders
Interested to see you back up that claim. My stepson works for Todd and assures me there are numerous other companies that own exploration licences in NZ. A quick Google search would seem to prove this correct. Numerous exploration licences with Beach, OMV, Greymouth and Riverside, plus Todd, among others: https://data.nzpam.govt.nz/permitwebmaps...=petroleum