Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I had forgotten...
... how good sardines on toast tastes.

The cat has IBD, and so occasionally a small spoonful of sardines in olive oil is good for her digestion, which she will slurp up happily enough the first time it is offered. But not the next time. So on those occasions I get to either waste food or get out the toast.

And, it being Good Friday, it is an appropriate dinner. With wine. One and a half glasses, cheers m'dears.

It was yum. Sardines in olive oil. I recommend. Just occasionally...
How odd - I had an omelette tonight & haven't made one for so long it took some thought to recall how to do it, it must be years since I made one. Tomato & mushroom omelette, with a wee bit of cheese toasted under the grill, not bad at a;;.
And I'm fairly sure I've still got a tine of sardines somewhere...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I must remember to replace mine. Fill that wee sardine sized space at the back of the pantry...
yum sardines on toast, warm fuzzy, childhood memories...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
sardines like with the bones and skin and guts and shit still in them.
them sardines?
best thing about them is the tins.
the tins are fun.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Yup. All the innards Magoo, eat 'em up, they're good for you!

Another childhood memory... My Dad handing his Mum - who was in NZ for the first time from Edinburgh - a little white wrapped paper parcel from the fishmonger, and telling her ' Here Mam, these'll need gutting for our tea'. And watching her open the parcel and look at him in consternation, because it was whitebait...

In those days we could afford the delicacy!
Yes, our generation grew up eating crayfish, whitebait & Bluff oysters - we didn't know how lucky we were. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And chicken was for special occasions!
(16-04-2022, 11:01 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yes, our generation grew up eating crayfish, whitebait & Bluff oysters - we didn't know how lucky we were. Smile
My parents didn't have much money, but we sometimes had crayfish, oysters and whitebait as a treat, and my grandmother sometimes bought a jar of whitebait out of her pension.  They were definitely special occasion foods, but were within reach.   These days, with far more disposable income, I never think to buy crayfish, Bluff oysters are a once-a-year indulgence and I don't buy whitebait because it is endangered.
I have a friend who has terminal liver cancer. She adores seafood. She decided she might spoil herself and priced a single half tail at the local supermarket.

And decided against...
(16-04-2022, 11:53 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have a friend who has terminal liver cancer. She adores seafood. She decided she might spoil herself and priced a single half tail at the local supermarket.

And decided against...
Wouldn't it be a great thing, if all the world's govts decided to provide those with a terminal illness with whatever they want to eat. Smile

Yeah, I know - never happen. Smile
Sardines!!! SPEW  Puke
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(16-04-2022, 03:01 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Sardines!!! SPEW  Puke
You might enjoy Surströmming.
I do have other cameras!
(16-04-2022, 03:53 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(16-04-2022, 03:01 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Sardines!!! SPEW  Puke
You might enjoy Surströmming.
Ewww no thanks! I have this aversion to bones so I will only eat filleted fish, only eat chicken breast etc. I dont know why it is but if anything with bones in comes near my mouth I tend to gag, I even have to cut the bone out of pork chops before cooking, its a pain I know but I have been like this for as long as I can remember, maybe some some long lost childhood memory.
An aversion to bones? Oh dear...

And there I had such hopes for us.
(16-04-2022, 04:31 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: An aversion to bones? Oh dear...

And there I had such hopes for us.
Oh_hunnihunni Im so very sorry , these old bones will be going nowhere near your old bones .... how sad  Big Grin
We could have had something good old man, but if you cannot bear the odd bit of gnawing on a juicy bone, there is no hope for us...
(16-04-2022, 04:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We could have had something good old man, but if you cannot bear the odd bit of gnawing on a juicy bone, there is no hope for us...
(Sigh) yes I know, Its my loss  Sad
Sigh, and mine. I will just have to go find another rich, vulnerable, senior male, preferably blind and slightly deaf as well as lame, and cruelly stalk him into exhaustion...

Nah. Too much like hard work, lol. Tg4 the friend zone, eh?