Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moana - Luxon interview
Saw this last night & didn't much appreciate his attempting to talk over her during the interview. They disagreed obviously & she did take issue with him trying to spread misinformation but otherwise it wasn't a bad interview.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...Y0ctLyude8

"Isn't Māori health in such a crisis that we do need to pile more money in and be very brave and bold in our thinking?" Maniapoto asked Luxon. 

He replied: "All we're going to do is amalgamate and centralise and build a massive bureaucracy that will end up competing with Health New Zealand."
Maniapoto disputed Luxon's claim. 
"No, we're not. That's misinformation," she said.
The Māori Health Authority will commission kaupapa Māori services and work alongside Health NZ to develop system plans and commissions for primary and community services. 
"You want the one system that you suggest will work for everybody. In the last 40 years, there have been massive attempts to address inequities within the health system," Maniapoto said.
"Everybody, all the experts - the Heather Simpson report, the Māori health advisory group, all the NGOs that wrote to you and David Seymour last weekthe Waitangi Tribunal with its interim recommendation - they all say that we need an independent Māori authority that will work in a certain way. Why do you not trust expert advice?"
Luxon replied: "I think we'll create a massive amount of bureaucracy."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
He's ghastly. I can't listen to him for more than a minute and I hate his bullying way of finishing statements with "Right?"
At least he doesn't flap his arms around and smile and grin when delivering bad news!
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(19-04-2022, 04:22 PM)Olive Wrote: He's ghastly.  I can't listen to him for more than a minute and I hate his bullying way of finishing statements with "Right?"
I'm very wary of Nicola Willis; she reminds me strongly of Ruth Richardson.

Luxon imo is just that bit too smooth - brushing aside anything which disagrees with his views in a slightly paternalistic manner. Very much a businessman.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(19-04-2022, 04:22 PM)Olive Wrote: He's ghastly.  I can't listen to him for more than a minute and I hate his bullying way of finishing statements with "Right?"

At least he can answer questions without the minutes of waffle we get from the PM and then the question doesn't get answered.  He can correctly say the letter 't' in words and not say it as a 'd'---that is one 'abilidy' (ability) he does have.
luxon might be in the wrong place at the wrong time
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
how about we focus on the issues at hand, maybe less on facial features and the odd error in pronunciation, it's kinda school yard...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Quote:Luxon replied: "I think we'll create a massive amount of bureaucracy."

I question his logic on the matter, not doing something simply because it will create bureaucracy is not a valid reason - to some extent we have massive amounts of bureaucracy already, it's a requirement for checks and balances in a democratic system... 

writing off maori health outcomes simply because you don't want to create more bureaucracy is a copout,  I ask myself what is his real reason?

Money.

This is the party that requires a 'return on social investment' - a financial profit over a social wellbeing one. Heaven help them if someone comes up with a valid way of accounting for wellbeing, their poor little heads will explode.
the real reason comes down to appealing to ones voter base.
we have to assume mr luxons core voters are racist misogynists.
(20-04-2022, 09:10 AM)king1 Wrote:
Quote:Luxon replied: "I think we'll create a massive amount of bureaucracy."

I question his logic on the matter, not doing something simply because it will create bureaucracy is not a valid reason - to some extent we have massive amounts of bureaucracy already, it's a requirement for checks and balances in a democratic system... 

writing off maori health outcomes simply because you don't want to create more bureaucracy is a copout,  I ask myself what is his real reason?
Tell us when did creating more bureaucracy make ANYTHING better?  It doesn't.  It never will.  If a new Maori health authority is created and funded in 10 years time when there are no significant changes to Maori health outcomes who will be to blame?  

Why for example did it require an additional $300 million in funding to get Maori vaccinated?  And even now they still lag behind every other ethnic group.
(20-04-2022, 12:24 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 09:10 AM)king1 Wrote: I question his logic on the matter, not doing something simply because it will create bureaucracy is not a valid reason - to some extent we have massive amounts of bureaucracy already, it's a requirement for checks and balances in a democratic system... 

Tell us when did creating more bureaucracy make ANYTHING better?  It doesn't.  It never will.  If a new Maori health authority is created and funded in 10 years time when there are no significant changes to Maori health outcomes who will be to blame?  

Why for example did it require an additional $300 million in funding to get Maori vaccinated?  And even now they still lag behind every other ethnic group.
The other way of looking at that argument is if you remove all bureaucracy, what is left?  I would suggest rampant white collar crime...

The 'what if in 10 years' really doesn't enter into the equation, economic decisions are made here and now in the present.  Monitoring of outcomes is always fairly high on the agenda these days, so if the spending doesn't appear to be addressing the needs as they were intended then decisions about that aspect get made then, not now...

As for the last paragraph, I have no idea why, I vote in elections to enable others to make the higher level decisions for the country... Can you not just focus on the outcomes, higher rates of vaccination achieved (albeit still lagging behind), makes us all safer etc 

Doesn't show the details over time but stats are here for anyone interested
https://www.health.govt.nz/covid-19-nove...ata#uptake

(20-04-2022, 09:30 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Money.

This is the party that requires a 'return on social investment' - a financial profit over a social wellbeing one. Heaven help them if someone comes up with a valid way of accounting for wellbeing, their poor little heads will explode.
BINGO! In a nutshell; they're really not interested unless there's a financial gain of some kind - for them & their mates, obviously.

He's apparently also quite keen to get rid of Labour day, which wasn't going down too well with some. Unsurprisingly.

There's no way at all to be able to be 100%certain that these changes will improve Maori health or not. The point though is that what we've been doing up till now just does not work, & it seems unlikely that more of the same will make any difference.

Therefore it's well worth at least trying something different, & if that works & does no harm then we continue with it. It may mean ignoring those of a racist turn but that can be done, & in any case whatever is tried can't possibly please everyone.
(20-04-2022, 01:59 PM)king1 Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 12:24 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Tell us when did creating more bureaucracy make ANYTHING better?  It doesn't.  It never will.  If a new Maori health authority is created and funded in 10 years time when there are no significant changes to Maori health outcomes who will be to blame?  

The other way of looking at that argument is if you remove all bureaucracy, what is left?  I would suggest rampant white collar crime...

The 'what if in 10 years' really doesn't enter into the equation, economic decisions are made here and now in the present.  Monitoring of outcomes is always fairly high on the agenda these days, so if the spending doesn't appear to be addressing the needs as they were intended then decisions about that aspect get made then, not now...

As for the last paragraph, I have no idea why, I vote in elections to enable others to make the higher level decisions for the country... Can you not just focus on the outcomes, higher rates of vaccination achieved (albeit still lagging behind), makes us all safer etc 

Labour dont do monitoring - they removed all the measures in the health system put in place under National and surprise, surprise most things have got worse.
tides turn
Princeton University has to include white males as a minority in its program, as they only make up a fraction of the student body.. maybe it was Harvard...no matter, point is
So 'balanced' has it become, that those precluding are now the precluded.

soon maori will be extra healthy and in charge and they will have to fork out for my flabby resource sucking white arse on their watch.
(20-04-2022, 04:07 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 01:59 PM)king1 Wrote: The other way of looking at that argument is if you remove all bureaucracy, what is left?  I would suggest rampant white collar crime...

Labour dont do monitoring - they removed all the measures in the health system put in place under National and surprise, surprise most things have got worse.
Of course they do - they probably just undid Nationals measures because it amounted to 'return on social investment' as @Oh_hunnihunni so eloquently stated...

I am all in favour of an enlarged bureaucracy. After all, we wouldn't want that lot loose in the community, would we?
(20-04-2022, 05:44 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am all in favour of an enlarged bureaucracy. After all, we wouldn't want that lot loose in the community, would we?
Indeed - best to keep them  busy & where we can see what they're up to.. Angel Big Grin

Christopher Luxon is being seen as being out of touch for his suggestion of axing Labour day.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ZAo26yCjnM

"National leader Christopher Luxon's suggestion to axe Labour Day to make way for the new Matariki public holiday has been described as "out of touch".

Luxon told RNZ's Morning Report on Wednesday that the new Matariki public holiday, to be held this year on June 24, will cost $450 million at a time when businesses are grappling with record inflation.

"Look, it's a great idea, but which of the other holidays are you going to cancel?" Luxon asked. "We're very supportive of Matariki; why don't you cancel Labour Day?"

"Mr Luxon has shown how out of touch he is with Kiwi families who need a break between Queen's Birthday and Christmas," Wood wrote.

"First he didn't support Matariki and this morning he's confirmed National would look to cancel Labour Day if it became the Government."

Is it that he doesn't understand the importance of Labour day, or that he does but doesn't care? He could perhaps do with some reading up on our history.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/keyword/samuel...nce%201900.

"Celebrated on the fourth Monday in October, Labour Day commemorates the struggle for an eight-hour working day, a right that carpenter Samuel Parnell had famously fought for in 1840. Our first Labour Day was held on 28 October 1890, and it has been a statutory public holiday since 1900. "
luxon is too much a noob for politics
hes getting bogged down in silly shit. distractions.
there is no reward for wading into this nonsense, leave that up to the yoghurt knitters
he needs to mongrel up
(20-04-2022, 07:59 PM)Magoo Wrote: luxon is too much a noob for politics
hes getting bogged down in silly shit. distractions.
there is no reward for wading into this nonsense, leave that up to the yoghurt knitters
he needs to mongrel up
https://raffamusadesigns.com/what-is-milk-cotton-yarn/

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin