Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Electric 'sea gliders'
These may be a way of transport in future - how intriguing. Smile

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1283976...es-by-2025

"Kiwis may be able to travel direct between the centres of many New Zealand coastal cities on low-flying electric “seagliders” for less than the cost of a return taxi to the airport within a few years.
Seagliders are a name being given to a new form of passenger transport vehicle that might best be described a cross between a hydrofoil and a battery-powered seaplane.
They are being designed to carry up to 100 passengers at speeds of up to 540 kilometres-an-hour, flying just 10 metres above the sea to take advantage of a phenomenon known as “in ground effect” which reduces drag and increases their range."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The Russians were doing that decades ago. Am I banned for saying a bad word ?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(21-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Zurdo Wrote: The Russians were doing that decades ago. Am I banned for saying a bad word ?
I've never heard of these before today - they remind me a bit of those blade thingys on the bottom of the America's cup yachts, similar way of moving through the water.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
been done before but never took off, didnt work in rough seas pun intended
(21-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Zurdo Wrote: The Russians were doing that decades ago. Am I banned for saying a bad word ?
That's not a bad idea. Maybe speak to the bosses. It  has been months since we had a good banning...

Tongue
They are supposed to fly 10 meters above the water by using ground affect to reduce drag but as Joe 90 states they probably wont take off in rough seas, sounds like a good idea but I think its doomed to failure
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
so it cannot perform the same magic on the ground?
has to be the sea?
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Well, the councils don't allow up to six storey buildings on the sea.

Yet.
(22-04-2022, 10:32 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, the councils don't allow up to six storey buildings on the sea.

Yet.
yes but we could try to avoid protuberances and obstacles, ala cars and planes, im sure its got a steering wheel.
 weve built roads, theyre flattish and run between centers. and the skything is off the ground so can both cars and seathings use the same carriage way.
would the bedouins be precluded from this wonderful new technology as well?, theyve got a sea of sand.
I am sure the camels would enjoy the rest.
the better looking ones will
Interesting story:

(21-04-2022, 03:40 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: These may be a way of transport in future - how intriguing. Smile

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1283976...es-by-2025

"Kiwis may be able to travel direct between the centres of many New Zealand coastal cities on low-flying electric “seagliders” for less than the cost of a return taxi to the airport within a few years.
Seagliders are a name being given to a new form of passenger transport vehicle that might best be described a cross between a hydrofoil and a battery-powered seaplane.
They are being designed to carry up to 100 passengers at speeds of up to 540 kilometres-an-hour, flying just 10 metres above the sea to take advantage of a phenomenon known as “in ground effect” which reduces drag and increases their range."

https://youtu.be/B885n08hOmw
(22-04-2022, 12:34 PM)harm_less Wrote:
Interesting story:

I wonder if they continued developing this today what they might come up with - humans are endlessly inventive. Smile
(22-04-2022, 02:54 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-04-2022, 12:34 PM)harm_less Wrote: Interesting story:

I wonder if they continued developing this today what they might come up with - humans are endlessly inventive. Smile
war is a great motivator