Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Transferring files between PCs
I am considering purchasing a new PC and I will want to transfer my many files and jpgs from the old to the new and I was wondering what is the best way to go about it. I wondered if I should use a cable with an RJ45 plug or would a cable with a USB plug be better or does it matter which one I use or is there another better way? Wi-Fi perhaps? If so how do I go about it?

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.
I've usually just copied files via a USB external HDD or flash drive if not too many...
You can do so via ethernet cables if they are both on the same network but setting up the shared folders thing is a bit of a pain if you don't know what you are doing...

you can't easily do an ethernet cable between the two because there will be no routing device in the mix, you would need to configure the network adapter ip addresses manually...

Years ago I bought a special usb cable for copying from one to another, never had much success with it, sometimes worked sometimes not.

Decided it was easier just to plug in a drive
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(16-01-2023, 11:33 AM)king1 Wrote: I've usually just copied files via a USB external HDD or flash drive if not too many... 
You can do so via ethernet cables if they are both on the same network but setting up the shared folders thing is a bit of a pain if you don't know what you are doing... 

you can't easily do an ethernet cable between the two because there will be no routing device in the mix, you would need to configure the network adapter ip addresses manually...

Years ago I bought a special usb cable for copying from one to another, never had much success with it, sometimes worked sometimes not. 

Decided it was  easier just to plug in a drive

Thank you for that King1. I do have an external HDD but I thought that it may be easier and quicker connecting the two together.

Alright then. I'll use the external HDD.

Thanks for your help on that. I did not know the best - or easiest - way to do that.

Much appreciated.
(16-01-2023, 12:52 PM)Roscoe Wrote:
(16-01-2023, 11:33 AM)king1 Wrote: I've usually just copied files via a USB external HDD or flash drive if not too many... 

Decided it was  easier just to plug in a drive

Thank you for that King1. I do have an external HDD but I thought that it may be easier and quicker connecting the two together.

Alright then. I'll use the external HDD.

Thanks for your help on that. I did not know the best - or easiest - way to do that.

Much appreciated.

no problem, 
easiest way to copy them is go to the c:\users\[username] folder and select all the folders you need eg Documents, Pictures, music etc and copy them together in one hit
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup