Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changing of street name
A Hamilton East street and park have been gifted new names to better reflect the city’s heritage.

Von Tempsky St will become Putikitiki St and the nearby Dawson Park will be Te Wehenga Park in line with a Hamilton City Council community committee vote on Tuesday night.

For crying out loud why? Think of the cost of doing this, think of all the maps that will need to be altered, think of all the satnavs telling you there is no such street, I wonder who was trying to keep their job by suggesting this, Von Tempsky St has had its name for as long as I can remember.

Bloody council!!!

https://tinyurl.com/yyp3kfq4
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Cos von Tempsky was a blithering idiot is a pretty good reason...
Well I dont care if he was an idiot or whatever it just pisses me off, and the other thing that pisses me off is with something like this why cant we as rate payers have some say? Very unfair!
(27-04-2022, 10:37 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Cos von Tempsky was a blithering idiot is a pretty good reason...
Quite.   And I think it's great to gradually recover street names and landmarks from names celebrating colonisers.   Done gradually it's not that hard to remember the new names and it's a painless way to help all of us with incorporating te reo into our general usage.
Te reo is not the problem here , history is the problem, ok so some settlers were arsholes and some were good, some committed murder and much more but history is history, do we wipe out the bad so we can say that only good people landed here, are books and learning at school going to omit the bad bastards of history? I think this is super important to know of our past be it good or bad and not try to hide it by changing names of streets or venues that might upset the PC Brigade, get over it.
Renaming streets is not wiping the bad bastards from history, it is acknowledging that they should not receive the honour of having streets and other civic amenities named after them.
(27-04-2022, 01:08 PM)Olive Wrote: Renaming streets is not wiping the bad bastards from history, it is acknowledging that they should not receive the honour of having streets and other civic amenities named after them.
Exactly - no one would be too happy with say, Hitler plaza in Germany & this is the same principle.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The street where I grew up had the wrong name on maps, like, forever. Before the days where people could find out where you live online, but as a teenager I was very security conscious (still am), and it was good to know someone couldn't find me by looking on a street map.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Not wipe out the bad, but lauding them in street names can go, far as I'm concerned.

Plenty of good folk out there to name stuff after. We can always do with another Rutherford Avenue, or Hillary Road.
To you ladies out there, especially one in particular, I wasn't asking you to criticize , I was just giving my opinion ok?
Its nice to know who belongs to the PC Brigade.
Don't be so sensitive. You know we love you, despite that irascibility.

I have a road named after me doncha know? On the Shore too. Comes of having been a very naughty young woman with a certain property developer.

Oh the joys of a misspent youth.
(27-04-2022, 06:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Don't be so sensitive. You know we love you, despite that irascibility.

I have a road named after me doncha know? On the Shore too. Comes of having been a very naughty young woman with a certain property developer.

Please tell me there isn't a place called Hunni lane??? Big Grin Big Grin Angel
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(27-04-2022, 07:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(27-04-2022, 06:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Don't be so sensitive. You know we love you, despite that irascibility.

Please tell me there isn't a place called Hunni lane??? Big Grin Big Grin Angel

Its called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang  Rofl Rofl
Tried to translate the Maori name of a road we lived in for years...could never find a nice meaning for it. Another Auckland street we lived in changed it's name halfway along...a different name each end.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Speak only for yourself Hunni, leave me out of this remark, you incorrigible flirt.
(27-04-2022, 07:32 PM)Olive Wrote:
Speak only for yourself Hunni, leave me out of this remark, you incorrigible flirt.
It is one of the few sports I can still indulge myself in... Smile

(27-04-2022, 07:16 PM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(27-04-2022, 07:08 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Please tell me there isn't a place called Hunni lane??? Big Grin Big Grin Angel

Its called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang  Rofl Rofl
That was my last coffee, you beast. All over the screen...  Big Grin
(27-04-2022, 08:58 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(27-04-2022, 07:32 PM)Olive Wrote: Speak only for yourself Hunni, leave me out of this remark, you incorrigible flirt.
It is one of the few sports I can still indulge myself in... Smile

(27-04-2022, 07:16 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Its called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang  Rofl Rofl
That was my last coffee, you beast. All over the screen...  Big Grin
Ah well - if its anything like mine, it probably needed a clean anyway. Big Grin
They have done something similar in Porirua as well:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/new...pp-android

I wonder when the name change for Whitby will come through?

Got James Cook Drive in Tauranga- they are already looking at changing the name of Greerton.

The biggest issue I have with the changing of names is like the idea of tearing down statues for historic reasons. Samuel Clements said it right when he said "Judge a man by his time, not yours". You can turn modern eye to almost any historic figure and decry that they are "bad". In Porirua they have a swimming pool and sports complex called Te Rauparaha Arena - should this be removed knowing the Te Rauparaha was by all historic accounts someone who butchered, subjugated and enslaved other tribes?