Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quince, quince, quince
Too much fecking quince.

That is all.
ick
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Quote:They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
  Which they ate with a runcible spoon

to this day ive no idea what makes a spoon runcible.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Sure as hell won't be able to use a runcible spoon to get through one of those thick-skinned yellow bastards.

Very much a side-of-the-road, free-to-a-good-home, type of fruit.
mongrel quince
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Don't waste quinces! Make Membrillo to eat with cheese.
(27-04-2022, 05:17 PM)Olive Wrote: Don't waste quinces! Make Membrillo to eat with cheese.

That sounds too much like work, although I do like that membrillo is 50% sugar...
Had a big quince tree for years, and never did a thing with them, except run them over with the mower. When my daughter was a Postie, she would collect a lot of fruit in season. So yeah, filled her panniers with quince and made quince jelly...and something else. It was ok, but not something to get excited about every quince season.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Quince paste is a superb condiment, but you need courage to attempt it. Think Rotorua hot mud pools spitting boiling sugar syrup at any exposed skin - you need armour and a very long handled spoon. But oh, so worth it. Poached quinces are lovely too, and quince jelly. Last time I had a few in my kitchen I saved seed and struck a nice wee tree which I have now planted on the boundary. It is taller than the feijoa hedge this year and I am hoping for flowers this season. The flowers are beautiful, and the Autumn colour is lovely too, golden leaves going to reds when it gets cold enough. Might not happen here till well into Winter, but we'll see. The fact that the tree exists at all is a special pleasure, all my own work. If I get to taste a fruit from it that would be a true delight...

Quinces are, after all, the original Golden Apple!

(27-04-2022, 05:17 PM)Olive Wrote: Don't waste quinces!  Make Membrillo to eat with cheese.
It is one of those fruits that goes really well with a savoury something...
They are actually quite nice when made into a crumble, can also mix with pear and/or apple.
ick, I remember being force fed those things as a kid - scarred for life...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Quince jelly with cheese is the cowards quince paste. That stuff is dynamite on full boil. And yes, I have been there.

Poached though, in a slow cooker with a honey drizzle, and greek yoghurt on porridge - not only is it pretty but boy it tastes very good.
We have several quince treees, one is vey old. I must admit the possums get most of them. I love the smell of the ripe fruit. So good Smile