Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Russian army
you just dont do funny do you? at all.?
your humorous is halfway up your colon.
put me on ignore you mirthless old fart.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(30-04-2022, 06:10 PM)Magoo Wrote: you just dont do funny do you? at all.?
Says he who goes full on postal at the drop of a hat. Still figuring out your attempts at humour I guess Huh
(30-04-2022, 03:56 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(30-04-2022, 03:27 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think that sooner or later humans are going to comprehend that being governed by the more brutal, violent side of our nature hasn't helped humanity as a species. And that, if we want real progress we'll find ways to harness & control our violent side, channel it into something more useful. That energy could perhaps be used instead to create, invent far more useful & benevolent things rather than who's got the biggest gun, & who can kill more people.

And it may be that you're right & that will only happen at the end of a gun, at least initially. But while we may be capable of enormous stupidity, we're also capable of its opposite & that's what may one day lead us onto a different path. it might be something which must be taught in schools eventually but we need to start putting more effort into finding ways of changing for the better.
As long as we don't annihilate ourselves & our world first.
that sounds too hard.
Yeah...I suspect its a damn sight harder to dodge bullets & bombs, though. Smile Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(30-04-2022, 06:55 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(30-04-2022, 06:10 PM)Magoo Wrote: you just dont do funny do you? at all.?
Says he who goes full on postal at the drop of a hat. Still figuring out your attempts at humour I guess Huh
if that were true it might hold water; the only contribution to that thread you have made was to have a crack at me.
im tired of your negative responses you make to my posts when you fail [Removed: Rule 2A] to get satire or understand when im joking. this isnt the first. 
you see it as an opportunity to put the boot in. trying to find a gotcha. thats fine by me, but at least pick your moment, every time is too obvious and too often.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Very interesting opinion piece on Stuff this morning about how intelligence may well ensure our extinction.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/12846540...-exception
(01-05-2022, 07:28 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Very interesting opinion piece on Stuff this morning about how intelligence may well ensure our extinction.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/12846540...-exception
I can't now recall just who it was, but someone said that the existence of highly intelligent aliens is extremely likely since they've successfully avoided us. Big Grin Rolleyes

Aha! Found it!

“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.”
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Russian billionaires aren't happy, interesting insight in this article
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300...n-invasion
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
To save their fortunes they will have the money and power to hire a hitman.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(01-05-2022, 07:02 AM)Magoo Wrote:
(30-04-2022, 06:55 PM)harm_less Wrote: Says he who goes full on postal at the drop of a hat. Still figuring out your attempts at humour I guess Huh
if that were true it might hold water; the only contribution to that thread you have made was to have a crack at me.
im tired of your negative responses you make to my posts when you fail [Removed: Rule 2A] to get satire or understand when im joking. this isnt the first. 
you see it as an opportunity to put the boot in. trying to find a gotcha. thats fine by me, but at least pick your moment, every time is too obvious and too often.
You seemed to have proved my point. Forums are best when used for meaningful discussion rather than abuse but it would seem our modes of communication are too different to understand one another's implied meanings so maybe just best for me to go on ignoring you rather than counter your covert 'humour'.
(01-05-2022, 01:47 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: To save their fortunes they will have the money and power to hire a hitman.
Someone may have to, the way things are going. And if the article is right then shops & factories will soon run out of stock & if that happens then all hell may break loose there - if that does happen then presumably poorer people will suffer most but it will still affect everyone.
(01-05-2022, 02:56 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 01:47 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: To save their fortunes they will have the money and power to hire a hitman.
Someone may have to, the way things are going. And if the article is right then shops & factories will soon run out of stock & if that happens then all hell may break loose there - if that does happen then presumably poorer people will suffer most but it will still affect everyone.
Not necessarily - one internet pundit I read claimed that russians thrived on adversity. I wonder if 20 or so years of materialist capitalist excess has softened them.
I do have other cameras!
(29-04-2022, 03:34 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Isn't doing so well, if this article is right. I wonder if humans will ever evolve sufficiently to end wars - seems unlikely at this stage.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300...ssias-army

"The might of the modern Russian army was supposed to show the world that Russian President Vladimir Putin had restored his country to greatness after the humiliation of the Soviet collapse.
Instead, poor progress and heavy losses in Ukraine have exposed deep flaws within Russia.
For those threatened by Putin’s aggression, a diminished army is a relief. Unfortunately, it also leaves a nuclear-armed power with a point to prove.

For Putin this is a crushing setback. That is partly because, although he controls a formidable propaganda machine to help drown out his critics, the loss of face threatens his standing at home."
All I see on the Ukraine Weapons Tracker twitter feed is hundreds of old soviet era tanks and trucks etc, either destroyed, abandoned or broken down.
Quite an embarrassment to the russian army, many boxes of old soviet era ammunitions, and shells etc all dated from the 70s or 80s.
Reportably its been quite unreliable,
Always a bit of a risk going to war. It can backfire so easily, worms can turn...
(02-05-2022, 11:33 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Always a bit of a risk going to war. It can backfire so easily, worms can turn...
And people can get thoroughly fed up with the idiocy of their leaders. With any sort of luck.... Angel