Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NZ could move to level 1 next week.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/content/tvnz/onen...rdern.html
I think she has no choice but to go to level 1 after the protest fiasco at the weekend , not meaning that the protest was a fiasco but the social distancing or lack of , of the whole thing, what gets me is the organisers should have known that hundreds would turn to this but they didn't seem to care , the whole country is doing its bit but these turkeys decide otherwise so yes I think she has no other choice now.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
"She?" You do understand that she's acting on the advice from those who are experts in this? It isn't entirely the PM's decision but depends on their advice to a large extent.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(02-06-2020, 11:39 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: "She?"  You do understand that she's acting on the advice from those who are experts in this? It isn't entirely the PM's decision but depends on their advice to a large extent.

I stand by the word "she" as politics will play a lot on this decision.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
her name is Jacinda as "She" could be anybody, as for moving down to Level 1 I think that should be held off for another couple of weeks given the Movie crew from LA arrived over the weekend and it seems they appear to be going outside the hotel to other self isolated area's but accompanied by Security Guards, for me that is high risk as they are exposing Driver's, Security Guards and goodness knows who else....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/12...quarantine
Crab2
The decision has been made already. You can gather in groups up to 4000 and chant and yell with no consequences. I’m not signing another trace book or using sanitizer for any spotty kid.
(02-06-2020, 06:33 PM)Golfy Wrote: The decision has been made already. You can gather in groups up to 4000 and chant and yell with no consequences. I’m not signing another trace book or using sanitizer for any spotty kid.

I haven't signed one and I'm allergic to the different Sanitisers lol
Crab2
(02-06-2020, 09:23 PM)crab2 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:33 PM)Golfy Wrote: The decision has been made already. You can gather in groups up to 4000 and chant and yell with no consequences. I’m not signing another trace book or using sanitizer for any spotty kid.

They are saying on the news that doctors are seeing increased rates of dermatitis due to the high uptake of hand sanitizers during covid19 too.
In our trade getting small cuts and nicks in your hands is part of the job. Those sanitizers sure spark them up like chewing tinfoil with amalgam fillings
(02-06-2020, 11:04 PM)Admin Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 09:23 PM)crab2 Wrote: I haven't signed one and I'm allergic to the different Sanitisers lol
They are saying on the news that doctors are seeing increased rates of dermatitis due to the high uptake of hand sanitizers during covid19 too.
 I'm not surprised, I've suffered from Dermatitis for years and have it under control and know what will make it flair up so avoid it, if I have to use Sanitiser I have to remember not to touch my lips as it makes them blister, very painful and wash my hands as soon as I can
Crab2
Shocked 
(02-06-2020, 09:23 PM)crab2 Wrote:

My partner displays allergy symptoms to the hand sanitisers, probably as they contain artificial fragrances, which causes her to sneeze. Not a good look at the supermarket currently! Blush
(03-06-2020, 09:40 AM)crab2 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:04 PM)Admin Wrote: They are saying on the news that doctors are seeing increased rates of dermatitis due to the high uptake of hand sanitizers during covid19 too.
 I'm not surprised, I've suffered from Dermatitis for years and have it under control and know what will make it flair up so avoid it, if I have to use Sanitiser I have to remember not to touch my lips as it makes them blister, very painful and wash my hands as soon as I can
No surprise to me either, alcohol dries out the skin quite a bit.
We move to level 1 at midnight tonight.
So it seems that we shall be back to normal apart from border restrictions.
Let's hope that businesses can come back to life and the economy recover.

We have taken a huge hit however with the number of businesses closing or struggling to stay afloat. The job losses are horrific and for many families it will be a long time before the future looks bright again.
Things wont be back normal until travel opens up again, and that could be ages.
I think our economy will largely be OK, except for tourism, but thats a global issue right now.
We will need a vaccine before travel begins and I expect most travellers will have to prove they have been vaccinated first before entering the country.
Even when all the borders are open again do you think that tourism will ever get back to being the major export earner for New Zealand it has been in recent years?

I have my doubts.
(09-06-2020, 09:56 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: Even when all the borders are open again do you think that tourism will ever get back to being the major export earner for New Zealand it has been in recent years?

I have my doubts.
I think it will given enough time, will probably take a good 24 months.
Likely airlines will give good deals and the tourism industry that has been ripping Kiwis off due to getting away with exorbitant fees from tourists will have to adapt and offer better deals to bring back business.
(09-06-2020, 08:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 09:56 AM)Rumpelteazer Wrote: Even when all the borders are open again do you think that tourism will ever get back to being the major export earner for New Zealand it has been in recent years?

I have my doubts.
I think it will given enough time, will probably take a good 24 months.
Likely airlines will give good deals and the tourism industry that has been ripping Kiwis off due to getting away with exorbitant fees from tourists will have to adapt and offer better deals to bring back business.
IATA are predicting a five year wait for air travel to get back to normal and the price of international travel is likely to be much higher that pre-COVID levels as airlines move to regain the substantial costs they have suffered in the moth-balling and recommissioning of their fleets. There will also be fewer airlines operating so competition will be limited. https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...years-iata

The days of flying across the world for a couple of thousand dollars are now history IMO and tourism will be a very different beast when/if it restarts.
(10-06-2020, 09:09 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 08:14 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I think it will given enough time, will probably take a good 24 months.
IATA are predicting a five year wait for air travel to get back to normal and the price of international travel is likely to be much higher that pre-COVID levels as airlines move to regain the substantial costs they have suffered in the moth-balling and recommissioning of their fleets. There will also be fewer airlines operating so competition will be limited. https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...years-iata

The days of flying across the world for a couple of thousand dollars are now history IMO and tourism will be a very different beast when/if it restarts.
IDK, thats not going to help the airline industry much.
On the flipside, oil prices are record low and they are paying to make people take it away as they have no storage.
Those costs should be passed down to consumers.
If airlines want to make profit, they need to fill up their planes fast.
This also means that hotels will likely need to lower their fees as an incentive to get tourists to come back, that way it may offset the cost on going on an overseas trip.
(10-06-2020, 10:21 AM)nzoomed Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:09 AM)harm_less Wrote: IATA are predicting a five year wait for air travel to get back to normal and the price of international travel is likely to be much higher that pre-COVID levels as airlines move to regain the substantial costs they have suffered in the moth-balling and recommissioning of their fleets. There will also be fewer airlines operating so competition will be limited. https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...years-iata

IDK, thats not going to help the airline industry much.
On the flipside, oil prices are record low and they are paying to make people take it away as they have no storage.
Those costs should be passed down to consumers.
If airlines want to make profit, they need to fill up their planes fast.
This also means that hotels will likely need to lower their fees as an incentive to get tourists to come back, that way it may offset the cost on going on an overseas trip.
The overriding factor will be how long the world takes to get on top of COVID. Until such time that we get herd immunity, which is probably reliant on a reliable vaccine which looks like being mid 2021 at the earliest at this stage, countries will need to maintain quarantines on oncoming passengers. As the IATA guy suggests this pretty much kills the demand for international tourism and in the meantime airlines are hemorrhaging money (Air NZ $5m/day currently) which they will need to recoup at some stage. Also, while there remains a COVID risk the public will be hesitant to travel at any rate.

Oil prices will lighten the debt burden to some extent but fuel is far from the only expense involved in running an airline.

According to our own, and our shipping agent's, experience airfreighting prices are currently running at 2-5x the pre-COVID rates which may also be some indication of where passenger prices are likely to settle in the short term at least, particularly if planes are being flown half empty due to either lack of demand or passenger distancing measures.