Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simon Henry's comments about Nadia Lim
What an absolute prick the man is - difficult to believe anyone still holds such damaging & outdated views but apparently he does & doesn't mind airing them publicly. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr...m-comments

"Another KiwiSaver fund manager says it won’t touch shares in chemical company DGL after its boss made “racist and misogynistic” comments about celebrity chef Nadia Lim.
Rich-lister and DGL chief executive Simon Henry told NBR that a photo of Lim in My Food Bag’s prospectus was “a little bit of Eurasian fluff”. He said she was “showing some cleavage” and showing off her sensuality to sell “scrip”.
Simplicity managing director Sam Stubbs said it would blacklist DGL until Henry had retracted the comments and “made amends”.
"If a chief executive says something like that, and you hold their shares you're endorsing the behaviour," Stubbs said."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala...ining.html

"Lim said the comments are incredibly damaging for young Asian women. 
"What's so damaging is young people who hear these things over and over again, who then over time somehow start to believe they are less capable and have less to give and contribute than their peers. 

"That's why comments like this are so damaging. It's water off a duck's back to me, it's other people I feel really, really sad and disappointed for."
Lim said Henry could be using his position of power to celebrate diversity and inclusion but he's choosing not to. "

in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Absolutely appalling. But the backlash is already major, and a big Kiwisaver entity has blacklisted his company and more may follow.

He was so stupid to vent his misogynist racist ravings on Nadia Lim, who is incredibly wholesome and much loved and admired. Not that anybody deserves his ravings.
what really needs to happen is for a few of their good clients to pull their business, now that will send a message...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
So many layers to his comments. So revealing of the man.

Karma will follow.
I wonder if this is a private or public company? Apparently he founded it but if he has shareholders they might vote to give him the boot...

Co. Office records show that Henry is the sole director of DGL Manufacturing Ltd, but it is owned by DGL Group, which is Australian. There are many DGL companies, mostly Australian. I can't see him being called to account professionally, and he seems like the sort of oaf who will not be affected by social opprobrium.
The good thing about this is the reaction; it's drawn attention to some of those old ignorance-based views which were once prevalent & made us look hard at them & with any sort of luck, see them for what they are & the damage they do.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The sad thing is he will get away with it and there will be hardly any repercussions  Sad
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
There have already been consequences, and now the PM has commented I expect the groveling apology isn't far away.

Idiot man. Shouldn't be let out on his own...
I'm waiting for wainuiguy to show up, to tell us rich fellas can say what they like...
I do have other cameras!
(06-05-2022, 06:42 PM)Praktica Wrote: I'm waiting for wainuiguy to show up, to tell us rich fellas can say what they like...
Aka the Thread Killer?
(06-05-2022, 07:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 06:42 PM)Praktica Wrote: I'm waiting for wainuiguy to show up, to tell us rich fellas can say what they like...
Aka the Thread Killer?
He does tend to have that knack... Big Grin Big Grin
(06-05-2022, 01:39 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: The good thing about this is the reaction; it's drawn attention to some of those old ignorance-based views which were once prevalent & made us look hard at them & with any sort of luck, see them for what they are & the damage they do.
Yes, that is a small silver lining.   I am absolutely shocked that there is anyone who still thinks it appropriate or even admirable to voice this sort of dark ages nonsense.   Even my most old fashioned relatives have progressed beyond this combination of misogyny and racism.

I thought the PM's response was good.
(06-05-2022, 07:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
Aka the Thread Killer?
Well here I am and no I think the guy is an idiot.

And seems that at least threads I am involved with tend to get beyond a dozen posts.   Unlike most on here.

And seems the last thread I was involved with the only person who killed it was King1 - when he killed the thread for some reason.

(06-05-2022, 07:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 07:02 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Aka the Thread Killer?
He does tend to have that knack... Big Grin Big Grin
Being a thread killer is better than being a sexual assault apologist.
No one has proved yet that that assault took place.
He now says that he's apologised; but Nadia Lim has received nothing so far.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/07-05-...rd-nothing

"Despite this, Lim told The Spinoff she had not heard from Henry. “That’s very weird,” she said, when told of the memo and the fact she should have been contacted. “I don’t need an apology though, it’s the people… who experience this kind of stuff on a frequent basis over time, that do.” A My Food Bag spokesperson also confirmed that no contact had been made between Henry and Lim.

In the memo, Henry said he had learnt “a lot” from the events of the past few days. “I am fully committed to ensure it doesn’t happen again,” he concluded."

Multiple investment firms have placed DGL on a banned list since Henry’s comments. The company’s market capitalisation has tumbled by over $150 million since his comments became widely known."

(07-05-2022, 09:10 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

And seems that at least threads I am involved with tend to get beyond a dozen posts.   Unlike most on here.

And seems the last thread I was involved with the only person who killed it was King1 - when he killed the thread for some reason.

(06-05-2022, 07:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: He does tend to have that knack... Big Grin Big Grin

Which as you know very well, I've never done, despite your past claims. Angry

That was not at all what was said.

Yet here you are, having gone to the trouble of finding me on this forum, doing your best to disparage. I think that says more about you than anything. Dodgy
Not a lot of trouble coming across posts in here. Harder really, to avoid them.

Which I quite enjoy.
(07-05-2022, 11:22 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: He now says that he's apologised; but Nadia Lim has received nothing so far.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/07-05-...rd-nothing

"Despite this, Lim told The Spinoff she had not heard from Henry. “That’s very weird,” she said, when told of the memo and the fact she should have been contacted. “I don’t need an apology though, it’s the people… who experience this kind of stuff on a frequent basis over time, that do.” A My Food Bag spokesperson also confirmed that no contact had been made between Henry and Lim.

In the memo, Henry said he had learnt “a lot” from the events of the past few days. “I am fully committed to ensure it doesn’t happen again,” he concluded."

Multiple investment firms have placed DGL on a banned list since Henry’s comments. The company’s market capitalisation has tumbled by over $150 million since his comments became widely known."

(07-05-2022, 09:10 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Well here I am and no I think the guy is an idiot.

Which as you know very well, I've never done, despite your past claims. Angry

That was not at all what was said.

Yet here you are, having gone to the trouble of finding me on this forum, doing your best to disparage. I think that says more about you than anything. Dodgy
"Gone to the trouble finding you" ummm you're using the same user name - there was no difficulty involved.

And I know you like to duck and dive your comment but reality is you said that what he did was "not too bad" yet Police charged the man with sexual assault.  Surprised you didn't question what the woman was wearing.
(07-05-2022, 09:10 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

lol yes, 'for some reason'...  anyway if you want you can have another go, i'll open that thread again - let's see how long it takes you...

Where did this 'sexual assault apologist' bit come from?