Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Moving fibre box
I would like to have the internet fibre box (ont?) moved.
It shouldn’t involve any additional cable as I would like it very close to entry point of cable to house. 
Who should I get to do this ?
Chorus do the installs etc but according to the Chorus website you should talk to your broadband supplier first
https://www.chorus.co.nz/home-fibre/movi...-equipment
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
What is the reason out of curiosity? For wifi issues for example it is more practical to get better wifi routers etc or a mesh wifi set
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(06-05-2022, 09:16 PM)eljayv Wrote: I would like to have the internet fibre box (ont?) moved.
It shouldn’t involve any additional cable as I would like it very close to entry point of cable to house. 
Who should I get to do this ?
Yah why do you want to move it ? IF it's for better wifi (?) this will not have any effect whatsoever as the ONT doesn't 'do' the wifi bit anyway......... YOu'll need someone who knows how to cut and reconnect Fibre cable....
I would like mine moved. The young person who installed it put it just above the skirting. With the connection ports facing down. For an old lady...

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
I want to move mine when i come to redecorating the home, I plan to put it in my basement where its out of sight.
They told me chorus needs to be called to move it and they will likely charge a fee.
Im looking at ways I might be able to move it myself, but the fibres are very fragile, i might be able to carefully slip the fibre out the floor and fit it to the wall in my basement.
(08-05-2022, 05:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I would like mine moved. The young person who installed it put it just above the skirting. With the connection ports facing down. For an old lady...

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Thats pretty much how they are all installed, Ive never seen one with the ports pointing upwards.
Count yourself lucky that yours is not installed in your toilet like that other guy in the paper! Big Grin
(09-05-2022, 03:40 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 05:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I would like mine moved. The young person who installed it put it just above the skirting. With the connection ports facing down. For an old lady...

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Thats pretty much how they are all installed, Ive never seen one with the ports pointing upwards.
Count yourself lucky that yours is not installed in your toilet like that other guy in the paper! Big Grin
Nope, when I made a fuss my neighbours wised up and got theirs installed at waist height. Not nearly as bad as counting the spaces with the pointy finger... One... Two... Oh! From the left you said? One.... Two.... That must be it...  Cool
(09-05-2022, 04:52 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 03:40 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Thats pretty much how they are all installed, Ive never seen one with the ports pointing upwards.
Nope, when I made a fuss my neighbours wised up and got theirs installed at waist height. Not nearly as bad as counting the spaces with the pointy finger... One... Two... Oh! From the left you said? One.... Two.... That must be it...  Cool
TBH, its typically not the sort of thing you need to attend to much, its the sort of thing that is usually left alone and not requiring anything to be unplugged, etc, I typically just switch it off at the wall if i need to "reboot" mine.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
If your Chorus ONT box is like mine, I'll tell you what you can do.

The outermost box is held on by a plastic clip on each side, about 1 inch square. Loosen them with a small screwdriver or whathaveyou pried in the side until you get the clips loose and then lift it off. Pull out the fibre connector by pulling on the plug, not the fibre. Comes out easily.

At this point you may be able to rotate the box 180 degrees and clip it back on, job done. I can't be bothered trying it.

If it doesn't fit, then remove the lid of the innermost box, same thing, a plastic clip either side which are hidden by the outer clips. Then you get to the plastic mount screwed to the wall which can be rotated 180 degrees, probably the screw holes will line up. The mount has a few inches of fibre (etc) coiled inside the mount which gives you confidence that a further 180 degree rotation won't be a problem. Then clip it all back together. The fibre connector has a key on the plug and just pushes in easily. Obviously a fibre terminated on a plug in a socket is designed to be disconnected and reconnected without causing a problem, I've done mine several times to pull a new CAT6 cable down the wall and bring it out of the baseplate knockouts to make a tidy wired connection between the router and television.

Lastly, the installer probably left a few metres of fibre cable coiled in the roof or tucked in the wall, which would allow you to move the ONT a few metres without any trouble, aside from needing to make a new hole in the wall with a clear path for the cables through the joist, fill the old hole etc. Treat the fibre gently, don't kink or twist it, don't touch the end of the connector, don't use it as a draw wire...
Lol, all good advice thank you for that. Only one problem, I can't bend even more now than I couldn't when they put the thing in...

The reason I discovered the downside to positioning it down there was the tech left after putting the phone jack and the modem jack in the wrong ports. Nothing worked when I replaced the furniture, so I cell phoned my provider who couldn't figure it out, so walked me back through the whole process till we unplugged everything (blind and by feel) and replugged the right way round...

You can imagine the feelings I had about the tech!

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Yup. Same as the one here. For a disabled old person who can't bend down to see it or read what's on it. Infuriating.