Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boy's brains
Came across this really interesting article about the differences in the  brain of young males. Its hardly surprising that they do daft things. 
Worth reading the whole article.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1285025...to-trouble

“I had his friends carry him inside the house and thought ‘that must have been a powerful message’. It was for the girls, but the boys went back to doing the same stupid s...”

Neuroscientist Nathan Wallis says boys’ brains are encouraging them to do just that. While all adolescent brains shut down the frontal cortex, the part that deals with decisions and consequences, in boys that tends to manifest in risk-taking.
“We think that’s a bad thing because it leads to car accidents and stuff but on the other side it leads to innovation and creativity.”
But couple that risk-taking with the fact male brains reach maturity between the ages of 22 and 32, while for females it's between the ages of 18 and 24, and it’s no wonder we see them stuffing up all over the place.

Andrew Hopgood puts it a bit differently, though the sentiment is the same.

“Teenagers are literally not all there. That frontal cortex gives us self-discipline and if you’re not taught it as a youngster, because your frontal cortex doesn’t start developing until your late teens, you’re in trouble.”

Walker has been NZ’s principal youth court judge since 2016 and is quick to point out that although the number of young men he sees in court outweighs that of girls, he doesn’t see them as more problematic.

“There’s a different pathway into their offending and a different pathway out is often required. I don’t think we do very well in giving gender-specific programmes.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Lucky it's a recent development, and older generations like mine missed out on the frontal cortex thing.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Risk taking though is a genetic trait. Some have more than others...
common sense, unlike its ugly sister stupidity is not randomly applied
and in many cases has to be learned by way of consequence
the sooner you start the faster it happens.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(08-05-2022, 04:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Risk taking though is a genetic trait. Some have more than others...
And if we didn't have it, we'd probably still be living in caves.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Interesting too that there seems to be a link with neurodiversity of some kinds...
They have a bigger audience today - back in my day it was just your mates, and antics of other people were spread by word of mouth, so often you met someone for the first time, but knew the shit they had done. These days it's a huge audience, and they have to be extreme to be noticed. And the special walks - we laughed at the Monty Python sketch of the Ministry of Silly Walks, but it's a real crack up watching these kids walk down the street...there is some serious effort put into looking cool.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
the epitome of the animal that is the human male
we males do all our own stunts.
this explains everything you need to know about the male psyche.

So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye