Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gloriavale - kid's work not 'chores'
Ex member hopes there'll be further investigation; its likely to get very interesting if in the future there's a ruling which obliges those who were working are now paid for that work....might use up all their ill gotten gains. With any sort of luck.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-nat...H7sBVV0yME

"Judge Inglis will rule on the question of compensation later.

One of those child employees, Daniel Pilgrim, told Morning Report that it was a "mind-blowing" legal victory.

"On every point we argued, we won. So that was pretty huge.

He said he now hoped the police, the Labour Inspectorate and Oranga Tamariki investigated the Gloriavale community further.

Pilgrim said his work involved milking dairy cows, and when younger he worked "down in the swamps" and in factories, doing a mixture of jobs.

He said understood at the time that these were not the sort of jobs expected of other children, but that this was all he had ever known and it was expected in Gloriavale.

Pilgrim said he had always been resolute about pursuing the Gloriavale sect in court.

"I was definitely unsure of the outcome, but I never considered dropping the case," he said.

Steeling that resolve had been the belief that his experience and that of others he knew had amounted to slavery."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
Gloriavale - kid's work not 'chores' - by Lilith7 - 10-05-2022, 03:30 PM
RE: Gloriavale - kid's work not 'chores' - by Lilith7 - 14-05-2022, 03:03 PM