Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Malwarebytes question
Malwarebytes has recently disabled definition updates for it's unsupported EOL version 2.2.1.1043
I am looking for advice for a 12 year old PC running Win 10 and no third party antivirus. It has been running the free version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware alongside the BETA versions of Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomeware.
The obvious step would be to update the Anti Malware version and pay for the premium subscription to include the other products.
If the user is unable or unwilling to finance a subscrirpition, what is the next best option?
Is it best to update the Anti Malware version to get regular definition updates manually and do without the other products?
Or, on the basis of no threats being detected after years of using the existing combination, is it better to leave the situation as it is, with the proviso that it will only scan using an out of date definition file, (bearing in mind that ADW cleaner could be used for some types of threat if necessary)?
Thoughts please?
as long as windows is up to date I would suggest just get rid of everything else and rely on the built-in Windows Defender, it aint too horrible nowadays - anything else will just bog it down...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Thanks king1 for your fast response. I must admit I hadn't considered that option. Yes, windows is up to date and Defender updated itself today. Pity old PCs aren't Win 11 capable but you get what you pays for and I'm grateful Win10 has kept going for so long after manufacturer said it wasn't supported.
and if you want to, do a secondary scan with adwcleaner for a bit of peace of mind

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownl...dwcleaner/
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Malwarebytes premium is not expensive - my last renewal was $35.44 for the year...my computer is a few years old, running Win 10.
I do have other cameras!
i have an excellent recipe for Lemon Slice if that helps.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(28-05-2022, 02:10 PM)Praktica Wrote: Malwarebytes premium is not expensive - my last renewal was $35.44 for the year...my computer is a few years old, running Win 10.
$39.99 p/a according to Malwarebytes website and an additional cost isn't always welcome when trying to trim budgets.
Price is only one factor tho and performance will depend on the system. Malwarebytes have their own forum topic on the demise of the older version, where several posters complained about the way newer versions affected them. I'd say king1 is right on the money saying it would bog it down.
I prefer lean and mean so grateful that Defender alone is considered OK these days.

(28-05-2022, 02:13 PM)Magoo Wrote: i have an excellent recipe for Lemon Slice if that helps.

Well that's a nice thought but I suspect that Lemon Slice might bog it down more than Malwarebytes.