Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auckland gondola?
This could be a possibility for the future; apparently cheaper than light rail & they might work for all our cities .

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/1285916...d-for-city

"The Government dumped a short-lived plan for a $785 million cycling and walking bridge, and its agency is weighing up alternatives, including dedicated ferries and buses.

While a new idea in New Zealand for urban transport, Doppelmayr has built big systems in South American cities, with a 31km network in La Paz, Bolivia, carrying more than 265,000 passengers a day.

Doppelmayr calls the technology “ropeways”, and there are differing systems, from smaller vehicles, to 78-passenger cars used in a Portland system, to a 200-seat double-decker in a Vietnamese theme park.
“We are generally one-third the cost of light rail, one-tenth the cost of going underground, and we have a modular design which means that construction projects are very short in comparison,” said Garreth Hayman, the general manager of Doppelmayr Lifts NZ Ltd.
The proposed cross-harbour line could be built with 2-3 large pylons between the stations."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Friend is in Queenstown at the moment. He wanted to go up in the gondolas to take photos...

Closed. Only open on weekends apparently.

As for putting massive pylons down the road from me - not a hope. If they cannot put a coastal bypass in to take the load off Lake Road, thanks to the locals opposition I cannot see them getting away with pylons and wires...
There are huge costs involved with other means of transport & this may be an alternative but it might work better here - there's one on the hills, but they could perhaps set these up between Rangiora, Kaiapoi etc & the city, & then south to the newer areas & Rolleston.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Stuff that , can you imagine what would happen if the bloody thing broke down or broke a cable , I would still travel by car , I would probably just have a ride for interest sake but thats all.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
We need to take other things into account than just the initial costings on projects like these. For starters, the sea level changes on the Shore are going to be seriously life altering for Aucklanders. And not in the distant future...
They have actually been largely successful in South America.
Im not against the concept if it can accomodate cyclists bikes and its user funded.
Why should it just be user funded? Roads aren't...
(11-05-2022, 03:44 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: There are huge costs involved with other means of transport & this may be an alternative but it might work better here - there's one on the hills, but they could perhaps set these up between Rangiora, Kaiapoi etc & the city, & then south to the newer areas & Rolleston.
how fast are these things though?  I would have thought they would only be any good for shorter distances....
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I suspect an electric ferry would be faster over that distance, carry more, and be environmentally less offensive.
Whatever's likely to work best, without causing more environmental damage & without costing an arm & a leg.