Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Supermarkets to drop prices on some items
I think we are being unfair on our supermarkets, they even went to the trouble of giving me a loyalty card so that when I have spent something like $400 or $500 they give me a discount of $15 on my total shop, it may take 6 months or more but boy what a saving.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(01-06-2022, 11:43 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Just as a matter of interest, is there anything at all for which you don't blame the left, in particular Labour?
They did alot of good things too, like buying back the railways, etc.
Largely I was happy with Helen, but she became a dictator. I was happy with the direction NZ was heading before national came in and screwed us over even worse. Then they bribed the Maori Party and made underhanded deals to make it possible to give them "back" our seabed and forshore. Thats one thing I was totally happy with Labour was the whole seabed thing, it belongs to all of us kiwis, and not just one specific race.

Both parties have done some good, but with Ardern's leadership we are seeing things way worse than Helen, its like Helen on Steroids right now.
Weird thing is I dont know many who voted for Labour last election, especially the farmers, they cant work out why so many rural electorates all voted labour.
This is the first time under MMP we are seeing a single party rule and its not good.

Either way, labour and national have both shafted us, we need a new direction in politics.

(01-06-2022, 04:40 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Most of our economic problems are a direct result of Labour's meddling and making new laws that are unnecessary and often over controlling. The proposals for the supermarkets are no different. That kind of regulation doesn't fix anything. What would be good is for the Commerce Commission to do the job it is supposed be doing under existing laws. And for people to understand that prices are going up because of shortages, labour issues and  freight increases. I have found that some groceries are costing more, but not all. Overall prices are up and down all the time, and for items with number limits because of supply issues, it's unreasonable to expect the supermarkets to market them with specials when they can't even get enough product to maintain normal supply.
I believe labour has just passed some legislation to remove covenants on land that supermarkets owned so that no competitor can build a supermarket there.
Thats the way I took it, which is a no-brainer and shouldnt even be something thats legal.
If you own the land you should be able to do what you like on it.
How can someone have the power to sell a property but still have say on what the buyer can and cant do with their own land?

Not that its going to really make any impact on grocery prices in the short term anyway, and we still have the duopoly anyway, but it might allow Aldi to build there someday haha.

(01-06-2022, 07:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 04:40 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Most of our economic problems are a direct result of Labour's meddling and making new laws that are unnecessary and often over controlling. The proposals for the supermarkets are no different. That kind of regulation doesn't fix anything. What would be good is for the Commerce Commission to do the job it is supposed be doing under existing laws. And for people to understand that prices are going up because of shortages, labour issues and  freight increases. I have found that some groceries are costing more, but not all. Overall prices are up and down all the time, and for items with number limits because of supply issues, it's unreasonable to expect the supermarkets to market them with specials when they can't even get enough product to maintain normal supply.
Not entirely true; it was both National & Labour who embraced Neo Liberalism & imposed it here without bothering to inform voters as to their intentions.
They share the responsibility for the situation we now have.
Yes, very true, labour and national are essentially one and the same these days and both just as bad as each other in their own ways.
(01-06-2022, 07:45 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I think we are being unfair on our supermarkets, they even went to the trouble of giving me a loyalty card so that when I have spent something like $400 or $500 they give me a discount of $15 on my total shop, it may take 6 months or more but boy what a saving.  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I have to spend much more than that to get my loyalty discount, more like $1500...
But it is fun when it comes through!