Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spark/Xtra email
Question 
Had an odd appointment yesterday...

Client with an Xtra email account, 3 devices using imap, randomly emptying the inbox of emails.

After that they are gone, not in deleted, not in junk/spam etc just goneburger...

I changed the email password for her just in case someone else was playing games with her account (don't think this was the case as they should still be in deleted if someone is deleting them).  Within seconds of doing that and updating the passwords, the inbox full of test messages suddenly emptied again...

Anyone else struck that with Spark email?  i'm sure it's their end...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I gave up on xtra years ago. Way too many issues on an ongoing basis.
I used xtra for years, but then Telecom said they were getting out of the email game...it was my old business email, so dropped xtra and did the Gmail thing. Then I found out xtra were still going, so got another xtra email account. No problems...although it was deleting composing emails if I wandered away....but now it saves every few minutes,
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
I know there are mixed opinions out there about xtra email. Generally speaking I don't find Spark to be much more troublesome than any of the others out there, but this one was a bit of a WTF kinda issue - basic requirement of an email provider is to protect the email...

We have an ongoing problem with emails we send using our website/business email account being sent to recipients' spam folders which in most cases results in them going unseen and unread. This particularly prevalent when the recipient email address is an Xtra one but Hotmail also seems to feature in this respect. A very frustrating situation for us as I'm guessing there are a lot of potential customers not seeing our replies and therefore assuming we're ignoring them. I've seen hundreds of Trade Me threads over the years where complaints are being made about by both buyers and sellers about lack of response to emails and I guess these people just assume that because they send an email the recipient will receive it but this often not the case. The OP just adds another layer to this situation.

For us an IT savvy ex-work colleague has recommended using an Office 365 based email 'redirection'. Any advice on doing this?
(08-05-2022, 10:24 AM)harm_less Wrote: We have an ongoing problem with emails we send using our website/business email account being sent to recipients' spam folders which in most cases results in them going unseen and unread. This particularly prevalent when the recipient email address is an Xtra one but Hotmail also seems to feature in this respect. A very frustrating situation for us as I'm guessing there are a lot of potential customers not seeing our replies and therefore assuming we're ignoring them. I've seen hundreds of Trade Me threads over the years where complaints are being made about by both buyers and sellers about lack of response to emails and I guess these people just assume that because they send an email the recipient will receive it but this often not the case. The OP just adds another layer to this situation.

For us an IT savvy ex-work colleague has recommended using an Office 365 based email 'redirection'. Any advice on doing this?
are these just replies to customer enquiry emails or are we talking mailing list mail outs etc

Yeah, unless it's a real message, it's ignored by me...on xtra. I don't answer to any ''feed back'' stuff. You don't get no rep from me.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(08-05-2022, 11:53 AM)king1 Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 10:24 AM)harm_less Wrote: We have an ongoing problem with emails we send using our website/business email account being sent to recipients' spam folders which in most cases results in them going unseen and unread. This particularly prevalent when the recipient email address is an Xtra one but Hotmail also seems to feature in this respect. A very frustrating situation for us as I'm guessing there are a lot of potential customers not seeing our replies and therefore assuming we're ignoring them. I've seen hundreds of Trade Me threads over the years where complaints are being made about by both buyers and sellers about lack of response to emails and I guess these people just assume that because they send an email the recipient will receive it but this often not the case. The OP just adds another layer to this situation.

are these just replies to customer enquiry emails or are we talking mailing list mail outs etc
Replies to any emails including to enquiring customers. We use ReadNotify and see from that quite a few emails just go unopened. I will often follow up with a resend forwarded using my Gmail account which usually gets a response.

For mailouts we use Mail Chimp and the amount of non-receipts would seem to indicate the spamming problem happens there too.
(08-05-2022, 02:25 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 11:53 AM)king1 Wrote: are these just replies to customer enquiry emails or are we talking mailing list mail outs etc
Replies to any emails including to enquiring customers. We use ReadNotify and see from that quite a few emails just go unopened. I will often follow up with a resend forwarded using my Gmail account which usually gets a response.

For mailouts we use Mail Chimp and the amount of non-receipts would seem to indicate the spamming problem happens there too.
it's an interesting problem, I think you have to start from a perspective that spam is prevalent and many people consider legitimate mailing lists that they sign up to as spam/junk when they no longer want it, rather than unsubscribing.  some folks don't discern the difference from legitimate spam, so I think you could assume that some folks have used the mark as spam option...

The other point is I don't think you could consider the few emails that go unopened as actually being unopened.  Many email client programs (thunderbird,Outlook etc) block external server connections in an email message until such time as the user accepts external sources (like images and scripts)   

I'm pretty sure (recipients using... ) providers like gmail and outlook (web based), will preload the mail for their email users (prior to the user checking email) so these ones are probably ok...  

there is also a note on the readnotify faq that for invisible sending option "Sending emails this way may decrease reliability."

Not sure about using the "office 365 for redirection" kind of doesn't make much sense, did they mean that you should shift your email over to 365 perhaps?

(08-05-2022, 03:34 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 02:25 PM)harm_less Wrote: Replies to any emails including to enquiring customers. We use ReadNotify and see from that quite a few emails just go unopened. I will often follow up with a resend forwarded using my Gmail account which usually gets a response.

it's an interesting problem, I think you have to start from a perspective that spam is prevalent and many people consider legitimate mailing lists that they sign up to as spam/junk when they no longer want it, rather than unsubscribing.  some folks don't discern the difference from legitimate spam, so I think you could assume that some folks have used the mark as spam option...

The other point is I don't think you could consider the few emails that go unopened as actually being unopened.  Many email client programs (thunderbird,Outlook etc) block external server connections in an email message until such time as the user accepts external sources (like images and scripts)   

I'm pretty sure (recipients using... ) providers like gmail and outlook (web based), will preload the mail for their email users (prior to the user checking email) so these ones are probably ok...  

there is also a note on the readnotify faq that for invisible sending option "Sending emails this way may decrease reliability."

Not sure about using the "office 365 for redirection" kind of doesn't make much sense, did they mean that you should shift your email over to 365 perhaps?

Well I've noticed today that I can't sign into the xtra mailbox online web portal. IT seems to be working ok thru the mail client tho, (thunderbird). I'm guessing they've got a bit of an issue.......