Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America to overturn Roe vs wade
Apparently all the news outlets are claiming this is about to happen in the USA. Whether you're against or in favour of abortion, this is a major law which is anti women in that it removes the rights women have over their own bodies.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/leaked-...022-05-03/

"WASHINGTON, May 2 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court looks set to vote to overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide, according to a leaked initial draft majority opinion published by Politico on Monday.

The unprecedented leak from the conservative-majority Supreme Court sent shock waves through the United States, not least because the court prides itself on keeping its internal deliberations secret and leaks are extremely uncommon.

"This decision is a direct assault on the dignity, rights, & lives of women, not to mention decades of settled law," said former U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton. read more

"It will kill and subjugate women even as a vast majority of Americans think abortion should be legal. What an utter disgrace."

Republican Senator Tom Cotton said: "...Roe was egregiously wrong from the beginning & I pray the Court follows the Constitution & allows the states to once again protect unborn life."

Ah yes - & never mind the rights of women over their own bodies, eh. 
Time they made a few laws about men's bodies, men's fertility, I think, in view of the awkward little fact they're so studiously ignoring - that men can have many, many times the number of children that even the most fertile woman with several multiple births can have.

Perhaps they might also make a law requiring boys on entering puberty to have a reversible vasectomy; when they mature & want a family they can have it reversed.

Oh but NO!! That's far too controlling & invasive - what about their rights over their own bodies!

Oh wait... Big Grin Angel Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I guess this is in no small part due to Trump's appointment of Amy Coney Barrett as a parting shot. Stacked the supreme court in his favour...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The nation is receding into the past at an ever increasing rate, sadly.
(03-05-2022, 05:21 PM)king1 Wrote: I guess this is in no small part due to Trump's appointment of Amy Coney Barrett as a parting shot.  Stacked the supreme court in his favour...
Yep, absolutely - that man is an evil, cunning idiot. It seems republicans are grabbing the opportunity to control women as quickly as they can.
You have to wonder how many women this will kill.

(03-05-2022, 06:05 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The nation is receding into the past at an ever increasing rate, sadly.
Yes - its horrible to watch it happening but at the time fascinating, in a macabre way.
Years ago I met & talked briefly to an American woman who was a teacher in one of the southern states  & I remember thinking that perhaps those states weren't all that bad if she was anything to go by.
She'd be long dead by now, I imagine, & perhaps that's the better option rather than her having to witness what's going on now.

Poor America.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
They don't like Mickey Mouse now either - it's the Sorry States now.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(03-05-2022, 07:27 PM)Zurdo Wrote: They don't like Mickey Mouse now either - it's the Sorry States now.
Seriously? Whatever has Micky mouse done to annoy the pious ones?

Its interesting that many of those leading anti abortion groups are men, who can never become pregnant themselves. Perhaps women should start lobbying to prevent treatment for prostate cancer - it affects only male bodies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/03/us/su...ction.html

“We’re fighting a religious movement,” she said, “we have religious ideology being codified into law, and we have to have people of faith rising up and saying, ‘Not in our name.’”

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supr...022-05-03/

"It's a fundamental shift in American jurisprudence," Biden said of Alito's draft, arguing that such a decision would call into question other rights including same-sex marriage, which the court recognized in 2015.

"If it becomes the law, and if what is written is what remains, it goes far beyond the concern of whether or not there is the right to choose," Biden added, referring to abortion rights.

The Roe decision recognized that the right to personal privacy under the U.S. Constitution protects a woman's ability to terminate her pregnancy.
Biden vowed to work toward getting Congress to pass legislation codifying the Roe ruling and urged voters to back candidates in the Nov. 8 congressional elections who support abortion rights."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022...orm-scotus

The New York congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, warned that the court “isn’t just coming for abortion – they’re coming for the right to privacy Roe rests on, which includes gay marriage and civil rights.”

Biden, speaking to reporters on Tuesday morning, said the draft ruling had ramifications for “all the decisions you make in your private life, who you marry, whether or not you decide to conceive a child, whether or not you can have an abortion and a range of other decisions [including] how you raise your child”.

Vice-president Kamala Harris said: “The rights of all Americans are at risk. If the right to privacy is weakened, every person could face a future in which the government can potentially interfere in the personal decisions you make about your life. This is the time to fight for women and for our country with everything we have.”

Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama issued a joint statement that read: “The consequences of this decision would be a blow not just to women, but to all of us who believe that in a free society, there are limits to how much the government can encroach on our personal lives.”
This was written by a woman who's pro birth, but talks good sense; worth reading since she works with poor women.

https://stfuconservatives.tumblr.com/pos...yg7YGIjI2w

Michael Moore's view on the possible overturning of their laws.
https://www.michaelmoore.com/p/forced-bi...3gD1LYbb48
Bloody hell - just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellb...be-a-woman

"Horrifyingly, some states will go further. Louisiana legislators are advancing a bill that would classify abortion as homicide. If the Supreme Court topples Roe vs Wade as he hopes, Brent Crane (Assistant Majority Leader for Idaho’s House of Representatives) said his caucus would consider prohibiting the certain forms of birth control including the morning-after pill and IUDs."

Not without opposition, thankfully.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/us/lo...rtion.html

"Gov. John Bel Edwards of Louisiana signaled his opposition on Wednesday to pending legislation that would classify abortion as homicide and make it possible for prosecutors to bring criminal cases against women who end a pregnancy.

The Advocate newspaper in Baton Rouge, La., reported that Mr. Edwards, a Democrat, dismissed the legislation as a “patently unconstitutional” bill that he would veto if it were passed by lawmakers.

The bill tests what has long been a boundary for many anti-abortion activists, who have resisted criminal charges against women who seek or obtain abortions. Some of the most prominent anti-abortion groups in Louisiana have expressed their opposition to the bill on those grounds. One of the groups, Louisiana Right to Life, said in a statement, “Our longstanding policy is that abortion-vulnerable women should not be treated as criminals.”

It has also stirred intense blowback from supporters of abortion access who condemned the legislation as “reckless” because it stands to have far-reaching consequences by legally defining personhood as beginning at the moment of fertilization. Critics said it would not only stand to interfere with women’s access to abortion, but also potentially criminalize in vitro fertilization, forms of birth control and certain medical treatments for women who have miscarriages."