Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very interesting discussion on farcebook
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...ef=m_notif

Don't think I have ever had so many responses to a single post, and no doubt other commentators could say the same. And mostly positive!

The topic, for those who loathe farcebook, is the adopting of Aotearoa New Zealand as the official name of our nation... Smile
Not sure i'm ready for Aotearoa just yet, and Aotearoa New Zealand is a bit of a mouthful... What's actually wrong sticking with good old New Zealand?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
What's wrong with changing?

Fact is, it is happening. More and more people are adopting the addition, for whatever reason, and once that adoption becomes commonplace the tipping point for official adoption will be reached. I think it is inevitable. And think of the advantages - we get ahead of Australia on everything alphabetical!
I agree, it is beginning to happen, and I find myself using both names, or one or the other, and favouring Aotearoa more and more often. New Zealand is a Dutch name and Dutch is not one of our official languages; the only practical advantage is that "nz" is a quick way of identifying local products on the internet. This is not fool proof however. and certainly inessential.
Either way we'll still be referred to as 'Kiwis' internationally Smile

And another thought is that will the .nz domain name remain relevant if the change progresses fully?

ETA: and having taken a look at the FB link I'm reminded why I avoid the place like the plague. The spelling and literacy there is shocking. The great unwashed on display Rolleyes
it kind of reminds me of the flag debate... but it will be interesting to see where this ends up.

(18-05-2022, 11:14 AM)king1 Wrote: it kind of reminds me of the flag debate... but it will be interesting to see where this ends up.
An opportunity missed Sad
[Image: 1200px-Fire_the_Lazer.svg.png]
(18-05-2022, 11:12 AM)harm_less Wrote: ....
ETA: and having taken a look at the FB link I'm reminded why I avoid the place like the plague. The spelling and literacy there is shocking. The great unwashed on display Rolleyes

Oh yes! I keep an eye on our local FB community page, and it's not just spelling and punctuation that are dreadful, many people have such poor syntax that it is a real puzzle to work out what they are trying to say. And these are not necessarily youngsters.
(18-05-2022, 11:22 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(18-05-2022, 11:14 AM)king1 Wrote: it kind of reminds me of the flag debate... but it will be interesting to see where this ends up.
An opportunity missed Sad
[Image: 1200px-Fire_the_Lazer.svg.png]
yeah that was my first choice too...

(18-05-2022, 11:22 AM)Olive Wrote:
(18-05-2022, 11:12 AM)harm_less Wrote: ....

Oh yes!  I keep an eye on our local FB community page, and  it's not just spelling and punctuation that are dreadful, many people have such poor syntax that it is a real puzzle to work out what they are trying to say.  And these are not necessarily youngsters.
Exactly, so it's no wonder the CT brigade come away from their FB bubbles with such fucked up logic.
I'm sure it will sooner or later become simply Aotearoa rather than as at present Aotearoa New Zealand, & that will put us ahead of that lot across the ditch.

And who can complain about that....Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Oh go on... There's not too much in the way of poor education showing up on that thread, and frankly if anyone is in favour of censoring people on the basis of poor spelling they better stop engaging with all media. Seems to me literacy skills are in decline across all walks of society not just the 'great unwashed'. The beauty of farcebook is it still involves a big audience across the world, so always potential for an interesting discussion.