Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we become more radical as we age?
I'm wondering because I've noticed that I seem to be. I'd like to see this country emulate as far as possible, those Nordic countries which have high taxes which cover stuff like Health, welfare, housing etc. & whose people feature at the top of those 'happiest people lists.'

Just stop prancing about slapping on a band aid here & there while trumpeting how wonderful your political party is, stop mucking about it & do it.

And I'd really also love to see more education about crime - what leads to it & how to prevent it as far as possible, rather than banging on about 'lock 'em up & throw away the key' which doesn't work & in some situations may make it worse.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I must be the opposite - I've moved on to I Don't Give A Fuck. Totally sick of people who do nothing but moan - I give a fuck what you think, so just shut up. I've turned into a grumpy old fart with a short fuse....but I keep quiet and just move on.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(19-05-2022, 07:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm wondering because I've noticed that I seem to be. I'd like to see this country emulate as far as possible, those Nordic countries which have high taxes which cover stuff like Health, welfare, housing etc. & whose people feature at the top of those 'happiest people lists.'

Just stop prancing about slapping on a band aid here & there while trumpeting how wonderful your political party is, stop mucking about it & do it.

And I'd really also love to see more education about crime - what leads to it & how to prevent it as far as possible, rather than banging on about 'lock 'em up & throw away the key' which doesn't work & in some situations may make it worse.
I suspect that those Nordic countries with enlightened policies have a population which is better educated,  and more worldly than ours, and therefore more inclined to vote for a party that takes a long term view of well being.   It's a virtuous cycle:  invest money in education and gradually a better educated populace will emerge and endorse spending more on education, also on eliminating the socioeconomic roots of crime.

Oh and edited to add - the move to cancel land covenants which prevent new supermarkets from establishing themselves is just a start, but a good one that can be implemented very quickly.
I will admit to less tolerant these days, but as with Zurdo, a bit of the Don't Give A Fuck also creeps in with some idiots...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I think the biggest difference I have noticed in myself is I have more confidence in myself, so I am more comfortable not taking advice from so called authority figures. Some of it is age and experience - learning that even those high and mighties can be totally wrong at times has helped, but actually it was going back to school and getting that 'big' degree that did it. It proved to me that I wasn't a dimwit, that I could be really good at something no one had ever thought I could, and that I was up to taking on windmills, rather than just retiring to a corner to mutter to myself.

So yes, it is a bit of not giving a fuck, a bit more confidence, and a big spoonful of 'actually, I do know what I'm talking about, so shove that up your cake hole and do the right thing' ness. Don't know that I am radical though, but I do notice how slow everything is. Except time, that is.

I quite like being old. Age hath its privileges, as my Dad used to say. And it helps offset that cloak of invisibility...
(19-05-2022, 07:35 PM)Olive Wrote:
(19-05-2022, 07:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm wondering because I've noticed that I seem to be. I'd like to see this country emulate as far as possible, those Nordic countries which have high taxes which cover stuff like Health, welfare, housing etc. & whose people feature at the top of those 'happiest people lists.'

I suspect that those Nordic countries with enlightened policies have a population which is better educated,  and more worldly than ours, and therefore more inclined to vote for a party that takes a long term view of well being.   It's a virtuous cycle:  invest money in education and gradually a better educated populace will emerge and endorse spending more on education, also on eliminating the socioeconomic roots of crime.

Oh and edited to add - the move to cancel land covenants which prevent new supermarkets from establishing themselves is just a start, but a good one that can be implemented very quickly.
  Well yes - & if we were to up taxes enough to cover education etc. etc. we might also have a far better educated population. One which is able to access lifelong education, (helping stave off dementia etc. etc.) & more able to take the long term view - I'm sure we'd do far better since that would benefit everyone. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)