Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looming World Food Shortage
I try to avoid factory processed foods - which the vegan and vegetarian meats certainly are, but it is quite hard to do on a modern diet. Just about everything on the shelf has had some processing input, along with the addition of various chemicals for all kinds of reasons. I have tried going completely 'natural' but boy, it's a lot of hard work and requires vast amounts of effort on the recipe research front to keep things interesting. I might just have become too sophisticated for my own good when it comes to food...
I avoid ultra-processed foods and most convenience foods. I would say that we eat mainly "natural" foods and it is rare for us to buy anything from the central aisles of the supermarket. That still leaves us with unprocessed fruit and veges, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, olive oil, butter, yoghurt, cream, herbs and spices plus whatever grows in the vege garden and on the fruit trees. Yes, it is a lot more work than buying pre-made meals but by and large I don't mind; I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy having the good health which I attribute to having a diverse and non-inflammatory diet.

As part of preparation for an apocalyptic food shortage it would be advisable for people who don't cook to upskill themselves in case there are no more frozen pizzas.
(22-05-2022, 09:54 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I don't get the pretend meat thing...you are not eating it, why do you need something that looks like meat and tastes like meat ? But some of it is pretty good. Over the first lockdown one of my daughters worked at the local food bank, and so we got a lot of the vegan stuff people didn't want. That was good because she is vegan, I'm vegetarian. They are good, but not necessary.
Yep there's definitely an element of that, but on the other hand, we're used to the form & size of stuff like sausages, fritters etc. & they're convenient to use.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)