Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our PM's Harvard speech
In case you missed it, as much of NZ's mainstream media seem to have, this is the presentation that Jacinda Ardern gave at Harvard.

i thought she put on a damned good show.
made us look edgy and progressive.
i dont think any of our stale old male representatives would have garner as much attention, nor been as eloquent.
credit where its due
keynote speaker at Harvard graduation is a significant achievement and she carried it off nicely.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
She seemed to have had the audience 'in the palm of her hand' as they say. Very topical theme and well presented. She definitely does a good job of promoting NZ in a refreshingly pleasant and professional way.
Newshub had it in full..

I liked it. I really liked the way she claimed Green initiated legislation changes as 'ours'. All is fair in love, war, and politics it seems.
I'm a true fan anyway, but think she's exceptionally good on this mission, hasn't put a foot wrong unless you find "eskie" a little grating. My theory is that she used the term on purpose because it would give Colbert a slight pause and thus an extra emphasis on the zero carbon beef gift.
(28-05-2022, 06:29 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Newshub had it in full..

I liked it. I really liked the way she claimed Green initiated legislation changes as 'ours'. All is fair in love, war, and politics it seems.
"Almost half our parliamentarians are women"

Fgs don't tell them that Jacinda, we'll be overrun with Yanks wanting to  move here!  Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes

Generally I'm not a great fan of politicians & their speeches, but that was a reasonably unusual one & obviously went down very well. And wonder of wonders - I agreed with some of it.
Well said, that PM. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
she'll have been pleased there wasnt a Q&A session after the speech.
rhetoric without response is just that, rhetoric.
Yes, politicians don't much like Q & A - & who can blame them really.

I think that may have been the first time any politician anywhere mentioned empathy.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(30-05-2022, 07:02 AM)Magoo Wrote: she'll have been pleased there wasnt a Q&A session after the speech.
Jacinda covered herself by claiming not to be an academic though she's no slouch when it comes to answering questions so doubt she would have had any difficulty in doing so. She'd also done her research when writing the address she gave so far as historical references were concerned and in light of there being no gaffs identified by now I guess her info was accurate.
(30-05-2022, 11:29 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(30-05-2022, 07:02 AM)Magoo Wrote: she'll have been pleased there wasnt a Q&A session after the speech.
Jacinda covered herself by claiming not to be an academic though she's no slouch when it comes to answering questions so doubt she would have had any difficulty in doing so. She'd also done her research when writing the address she gave so far as historical references were concerned and in light of there being no gaffs identified by now I guess her info was accurate.
yes, she was well prepared and gave an excellent speech.
in the past she has stumbled with unscripted questions (ask mr hosking)

being an 'academic' to me is not a real world job reference..
academia and reality are diverging lines
(30-05-2022, 05:39 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(30-05-2022, 11:29 AM)harm_less Wrote: Jacinda covered herself by claiming not to be an academic though she's no slouch when it comes to answering questions so doubt she would have had any difficulty in doing so. She'd also done her research when writing the address she gave so far as historical references were concerned and in light of there being no gaffs identified by now I guess her info was accurate.
yes, she was well prepared and gave an excellent speech.
in the past she has stumbled with unscripted questions (ask mr hosking)
Hosking is just a loud mouth shock jock. Answering his questions is akin to arguing with a drunk.
(28-05-2022, 04:43 PM)harm_less Wrote: In case you missed it, as much of NZ's mainstream media seem to have, this is the presentation that Jacinda Ardern gave at Harvard.

Yes, I thought it was excellent. She may even have gained another vote from me.
I did feel proud for NZ.
Quote:outsider
She may even have gained another vote from me.
she'll get a pat on the back from me, the vote will require something more tangible than feel good speeches
(30-05-2022, 06:49 PM)Magoo Wrote:
Quote:outsider
She may even have gained another vote from me.
she'll get a pat on the back from me, the vote will require something more tangible than feel good speeches
Agreed; politicians are very good with the fine words but often lacking in other departments.

Housing would be a good thing for this lot to put far more effort into - although that said, I've noticed on walks locally that there are 3 areas with new housing going up. Mainly single sections with small 2-3 dwellings on but one' s much larger, 2-3 sections easily  & it looks like around 4-6 going in there. More of that wouldn't hurt.
I thought it was pure garbage, basically telling the yanks about control and that we are going to kill off our farming sector as an effort to "fix" climate change.
(31-05-2022, 09:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I thought it was pure garbage, basically telling the yanks about control and that we are going to kill off our farming sector as an effort to "fix" climate change.
The standing ovations, from an audience of academics, would seem to indicate they didn't share your opinion.
(31-05-2022, 09:43 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I thought it was pure garbage, basically telling the yanks about control and that we are going to kill off our farming sector as an effort to "fix" climate change.
Yeah - but who are you? An anonymous internet troll!
I do have other cameras!
Well of course you did. Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
You do realise she doesn't actually write these speech's herself? She has someone on her staff that deals with PR and speech writing, media responses etc etc.
(31-05-2022, 02:32 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: You do realise she doesn't actually write these speech's herself? She has someone on her staff that deals with PR and speech writing, media responses etc etc.
*speeches*