Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just in case your interested: 30TB hard drives are coming
Quote:Inside of hard disk drives are platters which hold all your data; these are all manufactured by one company in Japan called Showa Denko which has announced(opens in new tab) it expects to “realize near-line HDD having storage capacity of more than 30TB" by the end of 2023.
Deciphering that statement, we’d assume it will provide platters with a storage capacity of more than 3TB, sometime in 2023, to partners such as Toshiba, Seagate and Western Digital, who will then produce the hard disk drives, targeting hyperscalers and data centers operators. 
We’d expect some of them to end up in NAS and 3.5-inch external hard drives, but that won’t be the main target markets, as performance is likely to be optimized for nearline usage.

https://www.techradar.com/nz/news/larger...n-expected

so who new all the disk platters came from a single company?

I remember 30+ years ago my brother worked in IT at the old Trustbank Canterbury - he was telling me at the time their data center had over 100GB of storage capacity, when average PCs had 40 and 80MB hard drives

Phenomenal growth in storage to date...

Quick lesson in storage sizes (simplified*)

1 Bit is equivalent to a 0 or 1 (represented magnetically on mechanical hard drives)

8 Bits  =  1 Byte = represents a single character ( eg A B C a b c )

1000 Bytes = 1 KB

1,000,000,000KB = 1,000,000MB = 1000GB = 1TB

KB Kilobytes
MB Megabytes
GB Gigabytes
TB Terabyte

* in disk storage, values are actually based on binary number system, so 1KB is actually 1024 bytes. This is why a 1TB hard drive shows up as 931GB
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
All I know is the things are damned hard to break open to smash up when the rest of the machine gets too old to function. But once in they give up really easily, quite fragile in fact.
Real life example of Moore's Law which is an "observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years."

A similar rate of technological advancement applies to the componentry involved in electric vehicles, particularly their batteries (and energy storage systems in general).
Interestingly enough though new generations used to come out around 12 monthly, now it can be halved...
Market forces?

On the other point, I hope I am still around when some genius comes up with a rechargeable battery system for my scooter, either solar or wheel driven. Not having the prospect of a $500 minimum cost to replace would be heaven.