Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19 years - man wrongly convicted.
Deliberately. By police who suppressed & altered evidence. Absolutely appalling that this was firstly, able to happen & secondly remain in place for so very long; the man's mother sold the family home to try to finance their legal costs. 

I hope this poor man is given massive compensation, & those police responsible will pay the penalty for their crime if they're still alive. Angry Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1288493...oNSqImD_R4

"On Wednesday, Hall, now 60, his family, and supporters, including investigators Tim McKinnel and Katya Paquin, will be at the Supreme Court, hoping to hear that his conviction has finally been quashed, after numerous previous appeals and 35 years trying to prove his innocence.

In a remarkable sign that it now accepts Hall didn’t commit the murder, Crown Law has admitted Hall’s claim that his case was a trial gone wrong, “is lamentably correct”.

“Succinctly put, the Crown accepts that justice substantially miscarried in Mr Hall’s case ... the Crown acknowledges the unacceptable truth that an unanswerable cause of miscarriage here, and of unfair trial, was deliberate failure by those responsible for the prosecution to disclose material that would have plainly been important in Mr Hall’s defence,” Crown Law stated in its submissions to the Supreme Court, filed last week.
The most blatant example of this was the intentional alteration of a key witness’s statement.
Ronald Turner saw a man running from the direction of the crime scene just after Arthur Easton was stabbed, and in several statements was adamant the man was Māori.
However, these statements were never handed over to Hall’s lawyers. And by the time Turner’s evidence was read to the jury at Hall’s trial, the prosecution had removed any reference to the person being Māori, without telling Turner it had doctored his statements.

Hall, who has an intellectual disability and has recently been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, was interrogated by police for eight hours on one occasion, and 15 hours on another.

He didn’t have a lawyer present during these interviews, despite several times asking for one."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Exactly why I feel that Scott Watson is also innocent.
It's not the first time we have seen such cases of tampering, and typically the police never are held to account.
Why should we be surprised at police corruption? Oh! I forgot we don't have corruption in NZ. Plus the Police refusing to act when a woman has her husband's body taken away. And we don't have bullying in NZ. Unless it's at Victim Support NZ.
Those responsible for planting the bullet casing to convict Arthur Alan Thomas were never held to account, either. I'd like to think this time may be different.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And Teina Pora - the police have history of stitching up the stupid.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Yes, it isn't a good look, especially when there are zero repercussions.
Hall is autistic, he was questioned for 8 hrs, and then 15hrs in one session - he would've admitted anything they put to him. They got a conviction, shut case....and goes on the list of solved cases, not the embarrassing list of unsolved cases.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
The thing which really rankles is that its all taken so very long to finally prove his innocence, when it should surely have been obvious at the family's first attempt.
I'm hoping he's eventually given a record compensation, preferably in the very near future.
Was just reading this article today with what Paul Henry had to say on the matter.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/the-front-...GHA6XI4LI/