Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gmail login issues...
Anyone else having trouble?
I've had 3 people call today with the ssme issue. Seems to be an authentication issue with email clients such as outlook or Thunderbird.
Says the password is wrong, and is kicking people out. Can log in through Gmail.com ok.

The workaround I found was to create an application specific password and it works.
its because google have just recently permanently disabled the "allow less secure apps" option.
less secure app access is now only available if you have two factor authentication and use an app specific password.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-06-2022, 08:18 PM)king1 Wrote: its because google have just recently permanently disabled the "allow less secure apps" option.
less secure app access is now only available if you have two factor authentication and use an app specific password.
Well that's what I thought, but in these cases it's even affecting clients that are using oauth2.
I've only ever used less secure app access on older versions of outlook
I've had ongoing errors coming up on Mailwasher for my Gmail emails saying it's "Failed to login to server" but the same emails are coming through okay on Thunderbird directly. Just an annoying detail at present and unsure if Firetrust (Mailwasher) will address the issue in time.
(08-06-2022, 10:27 PM)harm_less Wrote: I've had ongoing errors coming up on Mailwasher for my Gmail emails saying it's "Failed to login to server" but the same emails are coming through okay on Thunderbird directly. Just an annoying detail at present and unsure if Firetrust (Mailwasher) will address the issue in time.

from here
https://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?t=30791

it looks like you will continue to have issues because of the less secure apps being disabled (second post), and them firetrust supporting oauth2

As nzoomed suggests, you will probably need to use and 'app specific password ' for the gmail account
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(08-06-2022, 10:50 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:27 PM)harm_less Wrote: I've had ongoing errors coming up on Mailwasher for my Gmail emails saying it's "Failed to login to server" but the same emails are coming through okay on Thunderbird directly. Just an annoying detail at present and unsure if Firetrust (Mailwasher) will address the issue in time.

from here
https://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?t=30791

it looks like you will continue to have issues because of the less secure apps being disabled (second post), and them firetrust supporting oauth2

As nzoomed suggests, you will probably need to use and 'app specific password ' for the gmail account
Bugger. Hate it when the machine gets uppity!!
In Thunderbird i had to connect with OAuth2 instead of Normal password , create a new password and then it worked fine, didn't have to do anything with Gmail webpage that works fine but to have Thunderbird do this was crap, took me ages to figure out what to do.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Had a bunch more calls today about this.
What is odd is why thunderbird is having so many issues, despite it being the latest version.
To make things more interesting, ive seen it only cause issues with some google accounts, one user has multiple google accounts on thunderbird and only one is having issues, neither had 2FA running, but is using oauth2.
I received an email from Mailwasher (my proxy email server provider) recently which includes this link which gives a step by step guide on making an app password for Gmail so it will work in MailWasher.

Adapt for your own situation and usage where it refers to Mailwasher.