Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Country calendar, my favorite show now just an outlet for woke propaganda...
Ask any farmer and most will tell you what you see on their show is not typical for most farmers, except for the very wealthy ones.

Not everybody has got millions to splash around after selling an alcohol brand to a big corporation.

Sustainable sheep farming? Carbon zero? Seriously? For sheep?
Why dont they ditch their quad bikes and jump on a horse if they really want to make a difference.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/n...CKSFX43YE/
Times are a changing C_T
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Indeed they are, & this was never intended to be about a typical farm from what I've read, just a different way of doing things. Which doesn't appear to be doing any harm.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I did snort a little when I saw the sheep popping out the chute and awkwardly half-landing on a monogrammed crash pad of sorts (it's almost like it didn't want to land on it...) Briefly thought we were getting a Fred Dagg-ish piss take episode.

For me, it was all just a bit "much", but others will see it differently and that's fine.
We live in a very transparent world nowadays. Just 'pretending' to produce food in an environmentally friendly and humane way just doesn't cut it when our overseas customers can see first hand how we conduct our farming and manufacturing operations and as the prior owners of a hugely successful vodka company Geoff and Justine Ross are all too aware of the importance of marketing.

The effort they have put into putting their farming practices above reproach in the eyes of their international customers is far more than just window dressing or 'greenwashing' and I'm sure they will see the rewards in doing so in terms of differentiation and optimised pricing of their products especially for the upper end of the very decerning market they are focussing on. Those customers are all too willing to pay a premium for food that they perceive to be superior in terms of environmental impact, animal welfare and freedom from synthetic inputs. It all about value adding to your product rather than competing in a race to the bottom by for example exporting milk with the water removed (i.e. milk powder) by the tonne. It's commonly referred to as 'working smarter, not harder'.

New Zealand is extremely isolated from our most lucrative market populations so we have a bigger handicap in terms of embedded food miles in our product stream so the more intelligent exporters capitalise on those advantages that we have available to us either by way of our 'pristine' environment or whatever production methods we utilise. Sadly the NZ Pure campaign has had a battering as a result of the farming practices of those who don't or won't recognise the damage they are causing so the methods that the Rosses not only sit well with their personal ideals but also serve to stress the difference between their farm and those that result in denigration of our environment.
Some time back I purchased from one of those Country Calendar farming families. Since then I have had several contacts with them. So, a few facts... Farming wealth is tied up in their business, in many cases the families are not individually wealthy. Often, like any other substantial business they carry enormous debt while trying to work and live, and raise healthy families enmeshed in that business with little or no escape. They often suffer enormous stresses, mental health in the industry is a huge issue.

I know it is easy to kick agriculture on any number of issues. But the reality is we depend on their efforts as individuals, as families, as provinces, as a nation.

We could do a lot more to support them rather than keep putting the boot in.

(01-07-2022, 04:32 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: I did snort a little when I saw the sheep popping out the chute and awkwardly half-landing on a monogrammed crash pad of sorts (it's almost like it didn't want to land on it...) Briefly thought we were getting a Fred Dagg-ish piss take episode.

For me, it was all just a bit "much", but others will see it differently and that's fine.
I watched the same episode, and smiled too. Not in a Fred Daggish way though. But then I have owned sheep. as a city girl, it was a huge learning experience, but boy am I glad I had the privilege.

That couple are interesting people. Very successful city based business folk. Of course they bring a different perspective to their new enterprise. And no doubt, like all newbies they'll get laughed at a lot.

Bet they do well though.
Only the stupid use "woke" and PC" to describe what they don't like - they are too dumb to express themselves.
I do have other cameras!
Woke is a Black American term, appropriated by many with no sense of why they really shouldn't use it.