Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weevil Woman
Okay, she has weevils throughout her pantry, but how do they get into a jar of olives? Those are some pretty clever weevils.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1290471...nfestation
I have not read this but I am thinking she has a husband?
They might have got into the jar after she'd opened it perhaps.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Do people leave jars of olives open? Isn't that just asking for an infestation?

You can tell that I grew up in a "shut all jars" household...
(23-06-2022, 07:44 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Do people leave jars of olives open? Isn't that just asking for an infestation?

You can tell that I grew up in a "shut all jars" household...
Me too but not everyone does shut all jars. Leaving them open is just inviting problems.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Pantry moths can get into very tight places - they lay eggs inside the lids of screw top jars, so it is possible that her olive jar was infested. The eggs can arrive in almost any dried goods including spices. I had an infestation about ten years ago and got on top of it by throwing out the entire contents of the pantry, washing all of the containers and lids in the dishwasher, using pantry moth traps, and keeping dried fruit and nuts in the freezer. I haven't had another infestation since.

I think that person seeking compensation from the supermarket is pushing it a bit - pantry moths are a fact of life in warm climates and the distributors of dried goods do their best but can only do so much.
Clever beasties. They can lurk in the teeniest of crevices. Even in the groove of screw heads I believe...

Fortunately, my pantry is so mean as to be not worth the moths paying a visit.
(24-06-2022, 12:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Clever beasties. They can lurk in the teeniest of crevices. Even in the groove of screw heads I believe...

Fortunately, my pantry is so mean as to be not worth the moths paying a visit.
Apparently mine is as well - that, or its too cold here.
We had weevils go though our panty a couple of years ago, they got into things with a tight lid they shouldn't have been able to get into, and got into things I didn't expect weevils would like. Moved most things into the fridge in the sleepout and brought them in if we needed them, then out to the fridge again. We get most stuff from Bin In, but these came in a sealed packet.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
The cold has killed off the beasties turning my cabbage leaves to lace. So I have put the calathea triostar outside in the hope it will deal to that stupid plants companion pests. I hate that plant. I really really hate it. But it is so damned hard to kill.

And they are so hideously pricey in the shops I feel guilty having mean thoughts about it.