Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacinda has pissed off China
Thumbs Up 
Gotta give some credit where its due...
Jacinda must have done something right if her comments are enough to get such a reaction from China.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/07/01/chine...to-summit/

We need to find other trading partners ASAP so we are less dependent on China.
I would rather we focused on becoming more independent of all trading partners. In the event of catastrophe, it will be a case of those who can support themselves will survive, whereas those entangled with others may suffer the consequences. Independence is a valuable commodity.
(01-07-2022, 02:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I would rather we focused on becoming more independent of all trading partners. In the event of catastrophe, it will be a case of those who can support themselves will survive, whereas those entangled with others may suffer the consequences. Independence is a valuable commodity.

I agree, this will take time, we need to be a self sustaining economy and become a self sufficient nation without the globalist agenda and less reliant on imports, except for things that NZ cant produce.

Sadly, more crap is made in china that we import and most industry has shut down.
You cant even buy simple things such as a packet of earbuds in the supermarket that are made in NZ anymore.
(01-07-2022, 02:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I would rather we focused on becoming more independent of all trading partners. In the event of catastrophe, it will be a case of those who can support themselves will survive, whereas those entangled with others may suffer the consequences. Independence is a valuable commodity.
Agreed. I think every country should aim for being as self sufficient as is possible.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think going back to being a self sufficient nation is a bit of a pipe dream, we just can't make shit/stuff cheap enough now days. Their hasn't really been a globalist agenda for a long time, it is a global reality.
Like it or not we are dependent on other nations for most of our manufactured goods...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
And we like cheap, oh cheap is just so fucking good. No way are our precious younger generations going to pay more for inferior products. Bata Bullets instead of Converse ? No way, no fucking way will they accept that !

My mother spent her working life in production engineering shops making things for Kiwis. She made Tonka toys, she made Toro Blocks, she made radiators for cars, and she spent years on capstan and later CNC lathes churning out all sorts of parts for washing machines, kitchen taps and any other parts for the great Kiwi industrial machine. Oh we moaned about lack of choice, and no fancy labels...but I'd love to go back to doing it ourselves.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Yup, my mother did the same, working with other NZ companies setting out to beat the import restrictions of the forties and fifties. Her work and designs actually sell today at prices she would just laugh at, having become collectable over the decades. We could and do make any number of products here, but the shift has to come to rejecting cheap in favour of longevity, quality over disposable, and home made alongside technology. And it is coming. Slow food, slow fashion, the revitalisation of craft, climate change is bringing a whole new perspective to the things we think we need to live the lives we want to live.

For example - https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/ensem...ur-weekend
The comment about China in Ardern's speech was one line, in the whole speech (read it here https://thestandard.org.nz/jacindas-comments-to-nato/ ) Nothing will come of this from China - it's just their ritual reply to criticism.
I do have other cameras!
(01-07-2022, 04:47 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Yup, my mother did the same, working with other NZ companies setting out to beat the import restrictions of the forties and fifties. Her work and designs actually sell today at prices she would just laugh at, having become collectable over the decades. We could and do make any number of products here, but the shift has to come to rejecting cheap in favour of longevity, quality over disposable, and home made alongside technology. And it is coming. Slow food, slow fashion, the revitalisation of craft, climate change is bringing a whole new perspective to the things we think we need to live the lives we want to live.

For example - https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/ensem...ur-weekend
The problem is that those on low incomes here can only afford the cheap items made in other countries by people on low incomes; the system needs to change.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Which brings me to my other soapbox... The value of early education including practical stuff like sewing, carpentry, cooking, budgeting, crafts, home maintenance, gardening, and parenting...

Where's the Big Grin emoji when I need it?
(01-07-2022, 07:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Which brings me to my other soapbox... The value of early education including practical stuff like sewing, carpentry, cooking, budgeting, crafts, home maintenance, gardening, and parenting...

Where's the Big Grin emoji when I need it?
Yes indeed - it just makes good sense so why the devil don't we just damn well do it.
The sourcing of cheap goods from overseas is just a part of the neoliberal aim to increase the wealth and power of the already wealthy - the plebs won't need higher wages and better working conditions if they can buy "goodies" cheaply. Meanwhile the juggernaut of consumerism and blind unbridled consumption rolls on.
I do have other cameras!
Yes! The narrative of unbridled consumption being good for the economy hardly ever gets questioned in mainstream media.
(02-07-2022, 01:11 PM)Olive Wrote: Yes!  The narrative of unbridled consumption being good for the economy hardly ever gets questioned in mainstream media.
The economy relies on it. If everyone used their goods until they were worn out, rather than replacing them because they become unfashionable, the current economy would collapse.
I do have other cameras!
(02-07-2022, 12:39 PM)Praktica Wrote: The sourcing of cheap goods from overseas is just a part of the neoliberal aim to increase the wealth and power of the already wealthy - the plebs won't need higher wages and better working conditions if they can buy "goodies" cheaply. Meanwhile the juggernaut of consumerism and blind unbridled consumption rolls on.
Yep, & they don't need good education & health care either; education is dangerous. People tend to get ideas...