Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The spread of anti feminist bollocks
Which surprisingly, is indeed still with us. I think perhaps its high time that at least a little of the history of women's rights was taught in high schools, because the twisted nonsense which is being spread helps no one.
Its the 21st century fgs, not the 19th. The whole article makes scary reading. Angry Dodgy

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3006210...m-movement

"In a tour of the country earlier this month, Hannah Spierer addressed a crowd in Wānaka.
“If you are a working mother, and you’ve got children in a school, and you feel that there are some things you don’t like about schools, just consider that maybe quitting your job now is a sacrifice worth making,” she said.
“Too many women have been conditioned to sacrifice the raising of their own children.” She went on to explain - as she has during so many stops on the tour as one half of the right-wing propaganda network Counterspin – that ‘toxic femininity’ needs to be talked about, that feminism is a mind-control program, and that women have been led to believe they’re only worth something if they work outside the home.
“That’s not true. We can save our kids.”

THAT is absolute BS for starters; the reason women have to work isn't due to this imaginary 'toxic feminism'. Its entirely due to the neo liberalism which has been imposed on this & other countries so that for most its now a matter of necessity rather than choice. Interesting that this lot are now trying to blame women for it.

"At home in the North Island, Hannah Blake felt her heart sink. She knew that language. Watching Spierer speak, she experienced a sensation she’d felt building since the Wellington ‘anti-mandate’ protest. Blake, a former homeschooled Palmerston North mum, had been following the main channels of the disinformation movement since becoming disquieted with the way some women were talking.
“Let the boys be boys,” personal trainer and ‘correspondent’ Caro McKee tells Spierer in an early clip, from Parliament. “Let them lead us… we have to sometimes back off and be that little submissive person and let our boys stand up.”
Spierer agrees. “We have to lead the charge in that conversation because if men do it they’ll just be called chauvinist, or they’ll just be called sexist.”

Homeschooled in New Zealand in a Christian fundamentalist household, Blake was taught that women existed to serve their man. And now, these ideas were being parroted in ‘alternative media’, social media and Telegram, where live streamers who once held court about the dangers of vaccination and the mainstream media were now railing against feminism, or applauding the reversal of Roe v Wade, leaving millions of women in the United States unable to access abortion.

“Hearing the same viewpoint about women belonging at home, about feminism being dangerous, about women needing to have children young, about women needing to shut up and let men talk, the concept that suddenly we are over toxic masculinity, all these talking points that I had heard from all my religious instruction growing up were suddenly being parroted, and I was like ‘Oh no, oh no’,” Blake says.

“Seeing the recent surge with the marriage of QAnon and Q-adjacent theories with this fundamentalist Christian worldview is frankly terrifying.”

Far-right spaces, particularly online, have always been hostile towards women. Two of the most visible examples are in incel culture, where misogyny is a key driver of the ideology, and Gamergate, a campaign of sustained online abuse towards women journalists in gaming.

Massey University PhD researcher Donna Carson says misogyny is a key component of almost every extremist ideology, but in trying to expand their reach white supremacists have realised they need women to promote their worldview. “They know women can sell it, and if they can hook women in on that traditional family nous it’s not too hard to indoctrinate them into these other beliefs,”

Coming from women, and cloaked in the idealisation of motherhood, reproduction and the satisfaction gained from traditional family values, racist, sexist and bigoted ideas can be sold as more palatable – and less threatening.

In short; it’s sexism, as a gateway to fascism."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There is no way we are going back. The new social order likes having women in the workforce far too much. Cheap labour, and think of the childcare industry...
(03-07-2022, 03:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is no way we are going back. The new social order likes having women in the workforce far too much. Cheap labour, and think of the childcare industry...

I'd agree, but for the thought that American women weren't likely to go back either, having fought so hard for so long - but there they are, up the well known creek, if only temporarily.
This kind of stuff so beloved of the conservative right is at its heart, extremely nasty & sadly there's no shortage of women who tend towards misogyny to help them push the message.

Coincidentally, I'm presently reading a collection of sci fi short stories; A people's future of the United states, edited by Victor La Valle & John Joseph Adams. Excellent reading but some are terrifying.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/09/692484737...-look-like
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)